The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will Trek 11 Keep Continuity Of St Universe?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

From what we've heard so far, I'm fairly sure Mr Abrams is trying to keep things in the spirit of Star Trek. I really don't think we'll see them acting too out of character or anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDReeves View Post
On the subject of seeing Big E do things we've never seen or were never intended, I'm actually really looking forward to seeing 1701 filmed as a bloody starship instead of a balsa glider. Some of the action shots of Defiant from ST:Ent were really exciting despite the RIDICULOUS script writing.
That's true, the Defiant's battles were very exciting. But it's a totally different kind of ship to the original Enterprise. The Enterprise was like a naval ship, not a star fighter. The one thing I didn't like about New Voyages is where they had the Enterprise doing loops through space. It felt out of character for the Enterprise, in a way.

I'm not saying she shouldn't be manoeuvrable, but I hope she keeps her elegance and dignity while doing so.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Lieutenant

Will it keep the continuity? What continuity? Has TREK ever had continuity? Well let's see.... NOPE

Zephram Cochrane from Alpha Centauri.... then Montana.....

Phaser firing effects in Balance of Terror became photon torpedoes...

Constitution Class ships have no aft firing weapons and then in A MIRROR DARKLY they get them....

Spock had a human ancestor initially, then his mother became human....

The list goes on and on, and with each there is less canon as we go!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Midshipman

I for one am extreamly excited to see Abrams' view of Trek. Everything he touches is compelling and good. It's about time the Trek universe had a face lift too. I'm a Trekkie and I have to admit the last few years have really sucked in the writing department.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolFan2020 View Post
Will it keep the continuity? What continuity? Has TREK ever had continuity? Well let's see.... NOPE

Zephram Cochrane from Alpha Centauri.... then Montana.....

Phaser firing effects in Balance of Terror became photon torpedoes...

Constitution Class ships have no aft firing weapons and then in A MIRROR DARKLY they get them....

Spock had a human ancestor initially, then his mother became human....

The list goes on and on, and with each there is less canon as we go!

Trek has had a lot of continuity actually but because there is so much to work with there have been errors.

The expect this movie to keep to every bit of continity. It' an outside director working with outside writers. They're only concerned about his installments not the others.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Commander

This is another one of those arguments that all becomes relative and opinion based. For some, a changed button color is a violation of canon. Others don't care whether it was General Order 7 or General Order 4. Remasterd had a chance to fix James R. Kirk and never did. Maybe this movie will FIX some continuity errors. But it also has the liberty to establish new canon. I like Star Trek, but I'm not one to fret over how one line in TOS doesn't match up with something in VOY.

As for the Enterprise doing maneuvers, I'd actually enjoy seeing some new and different movemnts. Remember, the Enterprise is capable of full three-dimensional flight through outerspace; forwards and backwards, up and down, side to side (in relation to the bow and stern) which has no limits to distance. Inertial dampeners, artificial gravity and the like are what keeps the crew from hitting the ceiling. While I appreciate what The_Doctor is trying to say in comparing the Enterprise to a naval vessel, the truth is that a naval vessel is limited to 2 dimensional movement. Since they are in space, there is no limit to the type of movement. In fact, while executing evasive maneuvers, one would think that would involve different tumbles, cartwheels, rolls and vortex movements. Remember even Spock himself said "his pattern indicates 2-dimensional thinking" and the next scene we see the Enerprise rise up behind and underneath the Reliant.

You say that the Enterprise has grace and elegance, but the ship also needs to be one bad mother when it becomes necessary.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie View Post
Maybe this movie will FIX some continuity errors. But it also has the liberty to establish new canon.
That last bit is a good and overlooked point, OCT.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

It also has the same liberty as Enterprise...It might contradict canon.You should be prepared for that.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Commander

But that's the thing... I'm not a canonist. It won't bother me.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
It also has the same liberty as Enterprise...It might contradict canon.You should be prepared for that.
ENT, until its final season, blatantly flew in the face of canon. There is a difference. I don't think this film will do that. If anything, I do hope it subtly explains some of the discontinuity between ENT and TOS in some way.

It doesn't have to be a concerted effort mind you, just a moment or a design or something. This is a visual medium and things like that can be done with a simple shot or two (I'm a filmmaker, I know). The final season of ENT and the Shatner novels have both done this sort of "fixing" repeatedly. Every time B&B would "f" up canon or do something that made you go HUNH?, Shatner and the Reeves-Stevens' would come out with another novel and fix it in one or two lines with intelligence and ingenuity that made you go..."hell yeah!"

CE
Old 03-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonyearth View Post
ENT, until its final season, blatantly flew in the face of canon. There is a difference. I don't think this film will do that. If anything, I do hope it subtly explains some of the discontinuity between ENT and TOS in some way
I wouldn't count on it.
The first time a movie gave an intention nod to a series was The Undiscovered Country as it connected the TNG Klingon Allinace.

The next time was Insurrection when the Dominion was mentioned from DS9
Nemesis didn't at all with the excpetion of Janeway from Voyager.

Quote:
It doesn't have to be a concerted effort mind you, just a moment or a design or something. This is a visual medium and things like that can be done with a simple shot or two (I'm a filmmaker, I know). The final season of ENT and the Shatner novels have both done this sort of "fixing" repeatedly. Every time B&B would "f" up canon or do something that made you go HUNH?, Shatner and the Reeves-Stevens' would come out with another novel and fix it in one or two lines with intelligence and ingenuity that made you go..."hell yeah!"

CE
I'm not sure any particular shot could seal up the breach of canon Enterprise caused. Abrams is in a business here I don't think he'll be like Bryan Singer who added all sort of visual cues to the X-men...

We saw the stepford cookoos, jubilee, psylocke and others even thought they didn't mention there names. He altered the series just so it would be believeable in film...He was very careful..

too bad he didn't do the same with Superman.