The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will Trek 11 Keep Continuity Of St Universe?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 AM
Federation Councillor

Post Will Trek 11 Keep Continuity Of St Universe?

I am interested in hearing what other have to say on this.

I wonder if they will keep this in context of thing allerady established in the ST Universe?

Or, will they pull a "George Lucas" and start making a bunch of continuity errors?

I do hope Trek 11 is NOT remember as the film that ended the Trek franchise.

Zardoz
Old 02-12-2008, 04:08 AM
Ensign

JJ Abrams and his writers said countless of times they will respect canon and thus the already established universe. to actually tell a new story one hase to brake some of that canon, like all the previous movies and spinoffs.

making another bad movie like Nemesis isnt possible, so the only way the franchise will go is up.

Edited: crappy english

Last edited by robinalexander : 02-12-2008 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:44 AM
Ensign

If you think canon = the look, taste, smell, sounds, etc. then consider "Star Trek" as Star Trek 2.0

If you think canon = the spirit and ideas of Roddenberry, then consider "Star Trek" as a continuation of that vision.

Whatever the case, this is Star Trek 2.0

It's a reboot in every sense that Trekkies are used to. They're so concerned with the aesthetic aspects of the shows that for 20 years they've ignored the story and taken whatever they can get. (Four seasons of Borg vs. Voyager, for example. Really compelling story, huh Trekkies?)
Old 02-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Lieutenant

And continuing to bash is what separates us
We need to stand united and make this film a HIT!
Old 02-12-2008, 07:05 AM
Captain

Remember, "respecting" canon does not necessarily mean the same as "following" canon...

Ron Moore "respected" BSG canon...
Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Remember, "respecting" canon does not necessarily mean the same as "following" canon...
Yeah, but I trust that Nimoy wouldn't be a part of it if he thought it would go against Trek canon. I think the differences are all going to be cosmetic (different uniforms, ship design, makeup, etc).
Old 02-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Federation Councillor

I never thought for a sec they were going to "Recreate the 60's"

What I am saying is respecting the charaters, and the vision (as someone here allready mentioned.)

Even GR said he hoped the Trek would continue and that one day it would look nothing like his vision and people like us would sit around and talk about how silly TOS was. (ok phaser me for paraphrasing...lol)

Star Trek-The New Voyages has proven TOS could be continued with new charaters as Kirk and crew. Because they keep the vision of the charaters alive (and some fine sets and effects for a fan film I must say!)

Guess my bottom line is I don't want a "New Kirk" that acts like Clint Eastwood let's say, or a Spock who acts like Quark. Or an Enterprise that can do things that was never established elsewhere.

Cosmetic changes, that's cool.

BTw to the person who said Nemisis was the worst, did you ever see INSURECTION???? That makes Nemisis look like the best Trek film of the series by comparison.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Midshipman

Quite frankly, "Trek 2.0" in and of itself sounds like a highly appealing thing. I've watched some downright disappointing moments. I think I speak for quite a few of us when I say that what we've seen already is more compelling and exciting than the prospects of watching the ever-apocryphal ST5 again...

"Why does God need a starship?" Oh my flying spaghetti monster, give me a break. Bring on the Abrams, kids. "Temporal cold war?" Are you serious? Did the writers strike start four years ago? Ai yi yi.

Let's get back to business, eh?
Old 02-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Midshipman

On the subject of seeing Big E do things we've never seen or were never intended, I'm actually really looking forward to seeing 1701 filmed as a bloody starship instead of a balsa glider. Some of the action shots of Defiant from ST:Ent were really exciting despite the RIDICULOUS script writing.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Federation Councillor

While I agree on those 2 items KD, did you ever see "Spock's Brain" or "Whom Gods Destroy, this itself was a remake of "Dagger Of The Mind", or "All Our Yesterdays" Or the TNG Episode "Shades Of Grey" (Which was alll clips from the first season and half of TNG)

I could go on through the series, but, we can all admit that there has been some silly Trek moments as well as excellent ones.

The ONLY instance I can think of tampering with a Trek movie/episode actually helped was ST:TMP. But they only did things and cuts that had been storyboarded for TMP in '78. And alll the "New Shots" had matching atrifical film grain added so the CGI didn't look out of place. Even Robert Wise, who directed, for years after it's original release that the film never had a final cut, and what was released was a work print at best, until the "Director's Cut."