The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > lack of McCoy in advertising!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
I have to admit it's very hard for me to be objective on that because I'm a huge fan of Karl Urban and it frustrates me to no end that he's been taking a back seat to what's-her-name. But beyond that, the fact remains that this is McCoy we're talking about and that he's an essential part of the Holy Trinity which is sacred and should not be touched because by doing so one would commit a sacrilege punishable by...:
100% , my Lady.
Bones was equal in every way to Kirk and Spock. I see no reason not to have him on a poster with the others. Uhura could still fit.
by rights, a poster can feature them all.

As to Urban, he is awesome. Lady Vaako, have you seen OUT OF THE BLUE?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:30 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
The ships are female, of course... but just the fans know that
Hmmm.. . Is that why Scotty thought sailing through those water pipes was exciting?
Old 04-02-2009, 04:46 AM
Fleet Admiral

Probably! And look at that shuttlebay...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 04-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
As to Urban, he is awesome. Lady Vaako, have you seen OUT OF THE BLUE?
You've seen this movie?! It was amazing, wasn't it? I'm impressed because very few people have seen it. I was there when it premiered at the Toronto Film Festival and by the time the movie ended, I don't think there was one dry eye in the room. It was a very emotional moment for everyone there, I think ... Karl was supposed to attend this showing as well but he cancelled at the last minute for reasons unknown. Needless to say, I was really bummed...

All this to say that I find it a bit upsetting when people say Karl Urban has no talent to speak of when all they've seen him in is LOTR, Doom and/or Pathfinder. To those people I always say go rent Out of the Blue and then tell me the man has no talent.

Last edited by Lady Vaako : 04-02-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Commander

Lady Vaako,

my sister gave me OUT OF THE BLUE on DVD for Christmas. She knew the story quite well as she lives about an hour from Aramoana. It is still very much on local minds.

Urban is a 27%er. If he gets a chance he will own Star Trek.

BTW, shipmates, OUT OF THE BLUE is not the bikini soap on the BBC.
I highly recommend checking it out, it’s a movie from New Zealand.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I guess it's just to show that a woman has an important part here and that Trek is also cool for female viewers.
Perhaps they should even use the movie's kids (little Spock looks like a friend of mine) to attract younger viewers.
I think this is going to be true of the movie as well. I expect Uhura to have a much bigger part because it's not 1966 anymore and we can't have only one woman on the bridge and her job be "receptionist".

My main reason for being concerned about McCoy's presence, or lack there of, is that the writers have said they saw the Kirk & Spock story as being very much like their own story. To them, this movie is like their own story, the story of two very different men becoming close friends. That sort of makes me worry that McCoy is going to be shunted to the background.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Fleet Admiral

Since
story detail

the part can't be that small.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 04-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I think this is going to be true of the movie as well. I expect Uhura to have a much bigger part because it's not 1966 anymore and we can't have only one woman on the bridge and her job be "receptionist".

My main reason for being concerned about McCoy's presence, or lack there of, is that the writers have said they saw the Kirk & Spock story as being very much like their own story. To them, this movie is like their own story, the story of two very different men becoming close friends. That sort of makes me worry that McCoy is going to be shunted to the background.
I can see your point and concerns, but on the other hand I doubt Urban would have taken the role at all if it didn't have meat on it, storywise. Of course, just like TOS, the film can't be split between six leads, so story emphasis will rotate through the script.

I'm guessing Urban has no less screen time or character importance than De did in the TOS films. Even if Kirk and Spock stories are the dramatic spine of the film, McCoy will have a good subplot to contribute as well.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Commander

Orci and Lindelof are big time TOS fans, so hopefully they fought [and won] for McCoy's corner.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Lieutenant

Urban is going to be GREAT. My only worry was the "no captain" line. It seemed oddly forced, but its just a trailer. The "space is dark" line seemed VINTAGE Dee Kelly to me.

I say Urban and Greenwood are going to be the real glue in this picture anyway. No doubt Quinto and Pine are going to be massive in the next flick, if not this one.