The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > lack of McCoy in advertising!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04-01-2009, 10:30 PM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
I have to admit it's very hard for me to be objective on that because I'm a huge fan of Karl Urban and it frustrates me to no end that he's been taking a back seat to what's-her-name. But beyond that, the fact remains that this is McCoy we're talking about and that he's an essential part of the Holy Trinity which is sacred and should not be touched because by doing so one would commit a sacrilege punishable by...:
100% , my Lady.
Bones was equal in every way to Kirk and Spock. I see no reason not to have him on a poster with the others. Uhura could still fit.
by rights, a poster can feature them all.

As to Urban, he is awesome. Lady Vaako, have you seen OUT OF THE BLUE?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-02-2009, 04:30 AM
cjopbj cjopbj is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
The ships are female, of course... but just the fans know that
Hmmm.. . Is that why Scotty thought sailing through those water pipes was exciting?
__________________
Happiness, at least, Sir.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-02-2009, 04:46 AM
NCC-73515's Avatar
NCC-73515 NCC-73515 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 7,207
Default

Probably! And look at that shuttlebay...
__________________


"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Lady Vaako's Avatar
Lady Vaako Lady Vaako is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: William Shatner's birthplace (seriously)
Posts: 878
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
As to Urban, he is awesome. Lady Vaako, have you seen OUT OF THE BLUE?
You've seen this movie?! It was amazing, wasn't it? I'm impressed because very few people have seen it. I was there when it premiered at the Toronto Film Festival and by the time the movie ended, I don't think there was one dry eye in the room. It was a very emotional moment for everyone there, I think ... Karl was supposed to attend this showing as well but he cancelled at the last minute for reasons unknown. Needless to say, I was really bummed...

All this to say that I find it a bit upsetting when people say Karl Urban has no talent to speak of when all they've seen him in is LOTR, Doom and/or Pathfinder. To those people I always say go rent Out of the Blue and then tell me the man has no talent.
__________________
Uhura - "And here I thought you were just some dumb hick who only had sex with farm animals."
Kirk -
"Well... not only..."


Last edited by Lady Vaako : 04-02-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-02-2009, 09:29 AM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

Lady Vaako,

my sister gave me OUT OF THE BLUE on DVD for Christmas. She knew the story quite well as she lives about an hour from Aramoana. It is still very much on local minds.

Urban is a 27%er. If he gets a chance he will own Star Trek.

BTW, shipmates, OUT OF THE BLUE is not the bikini soap on the BBC.
I highly recommend checking it out, it’s a movie from New Zealand.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Elizadolots's Avatar
Elizadolots Elizadolots is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I guess it's just to show that a woman has an important part here and that Trek is also cool for female viewers.
Perhaps they should even use the movie's kids (little Spock looks like a friend of mine) to attract younger viewers.
I think this is going to be true of the movie as well. I expect Uhura to have a much bigger part because it's not 1966 anymore and we can't have only one woman on the bridge and her job be "receptionist".

My main reason for being concerned about McCoy's presence, or lack there of, is that the writers have said they saw the Kirk & Spock story as being very much like their own story. To them, this movie is like their own story, the story of two very different men becoming close friends. That sort of makes me worry that McCoy is going to be shunted to the background.
__________________


Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
NCC-73515's Avatar
NCC-73515 NCC-73515 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 7,207
Default

Since
story detail

the part can't be that small.
__________________


"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-02-2009, 11:48 AM
MissionTrek08's Avatar
MissionTrek08 MissionTrek08 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I think this is going to be true of the movie as well. I expect Uhura to have a much bigger part because it's not 1966 anymore and we can't have only one woman on the bridge and her job be "receptionist".

My main reason for being concerned about McCoy's presence, or lack there of, is that the writers have said they saw the Kirk & Spock story as being very much like their own story. To them, this movie is like their own story, the story of two very different men becoming close friends. That sort of makes me worry that McCoy is going to be shunted to the background.
I can see your point and concerns, but on the other hand I doubt Urban would have taken the role at all if it didn't have meat on it, storywise. Of course, just like TOS, the film can't be split between six leads, so story emphasis will rotate through the script.

I'm guessing Urban has no less screen time or character importance than De did in the TOS films. Even if Kirk and Spock stories are the dramatic spine of the film, McCoy will have a good subplot to contribute as well.
__________________

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK


Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-02-2009, 02:23 PM
DammitJim's Avatar
DammitJim DammitJim is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,294
Default

Orci and Lindelof are big time TOS fans, so hopefully they fought [and won] for McCoy's corner.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-02-2009, 02:31 PM
FireDevlin's Avatar
FireDevlin FireDevlin is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 376
Default

Urban is going to be GREAT. My only worry was the "no captain" line. It seemed oddly forced, but its just a trailer. The "space is dark" line seemed VINTAGE Dee Kelly to me.

I say Urban and Greenwood are going to be the real glue in this picture anyway. No doubt Quinto and Pine are going to be massive in the next flick, if not this one.
__________________
"I'll break out of this zoo somehow and get to you. Is your blood red like ours? I'm gonna find out. "-Captain Christopher Pike
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.