The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > lack of McCoy in advertising!!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
Hi, I'm very concerned at the lack of McCoy/Urban in the advertising!!! it seems to me he has been replaced by Uhura.
I hope they are keeping the original Big Three in place
AMEN TO THAT!!!

I have to admit it's very hard for me to be objective on that because I'm a huge fan of Karl Urban and it frustrates me to no end that he's been taking a back seat to what's-her-name. But beyond that, the fact remains that this is McCoy we're talking about and that he's an essential part of the Holy Trinity which is sacred and should not be touched because by doing so one would commit a sacrilege punishable by...

OMG... I'm talking like those fanatics who think Trek is a religion...

Somebody stop me, please...

Last edited by Lady Vaako : 04-01-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I guess it's just to show that a woman has an important part here and that Trek is also cool for female viewers.
It's either that or they're using her for the sex factor. I guess if a woman who's never watched Star Trek sees a female character, namely Uhura, featured prominently on a poster she'll be thinking: "Okay, that's cool, they have a female on the crew and she's got an important role". Which is not exactly true... but whatever.

Quote:
Perhaps they should even use the movie's kids (little Spock looks like a friend of mine) to attract younger viewers.
They did, actually. There's a version of the trailer where you see more kiddies than in any other. There's even an image of Kirk as a baby that we don't see in the other trailers.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:52 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
They did, actually. There's a version of the trailer where you see more kiddies than in any other. There's even an image of Kirk as a baby that we don't see in the other trailers.
This is about the posters, not the trailers.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 04-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Well, in that case there's nothing the marketers can do because I don't think it would be realistic to put the kiddies on the poster.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

tru dat. i agree.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I guess it's just to show that a woman has an important part here and that Trek is also cool for female viewers.
This is a really good point. It's smart marketing to show that TREK isn't just a boys' club for starters. Plus, I think it's important to honor the progress which Nichelle Nichols made via Uhura in TOS, and it's quite consistent to continue showing Uhura as an important character in TREK.

Agreed, she's not in the 'holy trinity' of Kirk/Spock/McCoy -- but then again, that's likely one of the most obvious aspects of TOS-TREK that really doesn't need a lot of promotion on posters. What will count most in that respect is watching that trinity play out on the SCREEN, not in the theater lobby.

One-sheet posters are marketing and publicity, not story synopses, and Zoe's presence on them is a smart move in marketing the film on several levels. And no, in this case I don't mean sex appeal, in that a still image of her face isn't a direct appeal to sexual titillation -- but it does imply that a smart, active and attractive woman is part of the crew in this movie. TREK was indeed boldly going forward in that respect 40 years ago, and it makes sense that trend continues.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Commander

Quote:
no, this includes trailers. there is barely a mention of him.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DammitJim View Post
no, this includes trailers. there is barely a mention of him.
Hmmm, really?

He had that distinctive speech in the first trailer about space being full of all nasty things (which I found VERY McCoy like in delivery and attitude).

And he introduces himself by name in a following trailer and TV spots using the same scene with Kirk and the flask.

Given how many characters these clips must establish in mere seconds, I think McCoy's been represented fairly well -- not as much as Kirk or Spock, but that's par for the course, TREKwise.

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Commander

I guess I'm just getting nervous
Old 04-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

No worries, Jim. Many of us are similarly nervous about the film on one level or another... call it uncertainty, doubt or just anticipation of the unknown. It's all good, it shows you have a stake in this film. I hope your fears are proven unjustified in a month and that you enjoy your McCoy immensely!