The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Data's Head...How doe it affect the Abramsverse?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Interesting question. If Data is not created in the Abrams' timeline, I'd think his head would still exist in the Abrams' timeline because the divergence happens in the 23rd century when Nero does his thing, so from that point onward you have this new timeline with Data's head buried in San Francisco regardless of whether or not he is created in the Abrams' timeline 'cause the head belongs to Data from the 'real' timeline.

I'm confused just thinking that through!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 04-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Nemesis takes place after the events of "Time's Arrow" in the "real" timeline...that head was lost with the rest of him when the Scimitar was destroyed.

yes, but
Old 04-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Since Data does not exist in the new timeline, yet, and may never, and if he does then events may very well play out completely different. IE Dr. Noonien Soong will most likely be one of Earth's greatest achievers devoting his life to the advancement of life through medicine and technology.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Admiral

But regardless, Data's head would still end up in San Francisco since that happened in the nineteenth century wouldn't it? Thing is, would that head cease to exist if Data was not created in the Abrams' timeline? Like Marty's family disappearing from the photo in Back to the Future. I wouldn't think so since the head belonged to the Data created in the 'real' timeline and it was placed in San Francisco centuries before the divergence. It'd continue to exist just as easily as the 'real' Spock would continue to exist.

If old Spock kills Quinto Spock, does that mean Old Spock will vanish? If Data is never created, does that mean his head will vanish in San Francisco. "I left my head, in San Francisco..." Sorry couldn't resist. Lame I know.

Last edited by Livingston : 04-01-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Not necessarily. There's already huge differences between the old timeline and the new one. Some things would have never happened.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Admiral

But what if you have two timelines forking from one moment in time, which you possibly have here with Nero. Data's head ends up in San Francisco hundreds of years before that fork, so it happened. If Data does not exist in the timeline diverging from the 'real' timeline it wouldn't matter, because that head belonged to the Data from the 'real' timeline. It happened, he went back to 19th century Earth and lost his head in San Francisco so the head would exist in both timelines.

What I am saying is, what if one timeline doesn't overwrite the other and they both exist alongside one another and the divergence starts with Nero's interference? Since the head was left in San hundreds of years before that could it not exist in both timeframes?

Like all of those parallel universe Stargate episodes, the quantum mirror, remember that one? Good episode.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Admiral

When the new timeline is created, recorded history is changed all the way back to the beginning of time. Otherwise the people of the new timeline would know that recorded history was changed at some point and begin their own investigation as to why it happened.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Commander

We don't know that Data won't be created.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Admiral

But the people of this new timeline would share a recorded history up to the divergence. Whenever Nero interferes. I don't see how it would be changed all the way back to the beginning of time. Only the future would change. You would have two futures unfolding in parallel timelines both forking from that one moment in time.

As for them knowing I don't see how they would except for those involved in the actual creation of a new timeline. From their view point they would have no alternative to compare, to realize something had changed. Only Nero and Spock and anyone else involved in the incident would know of course unless Nero and Spock tell people but to everyone else, they keep going, completely unaware they are existing in an alternate timeline; at least that's the way I'm seeing it.

The only way they realized something was different in 'Yesterday's Enterprise' was because of Guinan's ability.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Physicists do speculate about the possibilities of the connections between different universes within a multiverse. One view is that they are completely unconnected and information cannot pass between them once they branch off from one another. This view strictly rules out time travel like is being posited in this film.

Once you start allowing time travel, information starts to pass from one universe to another, and all kinds of causation hell breaks loose. Poor Data.

Last edited by gornski : 04-01-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: fix a word