The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > OPINION: Will the Enterprise get a refit in the movie timeline?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-30-2009, 04:16 PM
omegaman's Avatar
omegaman omegaman is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Penrith NSW Australia
Posts: 4,609
Default

I hope they leave everything the way it is. Forget tweaks and cosmetic changes and stay with the same design, the same everything for all three movies. That would be a first and save them some bucks.
__________________
TREK IS TREK. WHATEVER THE TIMELINE!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Beetlescott's Avatar
Beetlescott Beetlescott is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
Exactly, you don't reboot a franchise simply to wash away the changes in the end. That makes no sense for Paramount to do that. All sequals will take place in this new timeline. Unless this vision of Star Trek fails. And then who knows what happens.
I disagree about future movies taking place in some other timeline. There are plenty of examples, Year of Hell to name my favorite, to have a great movie in an alternate timeline. I think the beginning of the movie will start in the timeline we know and love, then it will go to whoknowswhere. Then, I think, it will right itself before the end, after our heros save the known timeline!!!
__________________
LET'S MAKE SURE HISTORY NEVER FORGETS THE NAME ENTERPRISE!!!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,989
Default

Year of Hell isn't a billion dollar (an exaggeration, but you get the point) franchise. A trilogy of Star Trek movies is. Apples and Oranges.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I hope they leave everything the way it is. Forget tweaks and cosmetic changes and stay with the same design, the same everything for all three movies. That would be a first and save them some bucks.
Tweek it, tweek it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,989
Default

This movie is a reboot. A reboot is about creating a new brand around an existing one. That is why you won't confuse a new movie going audience will all this alternate timeline multi-verse whatever you want to call it. This will be the new Trek reality. Nero will change history and that will be that. New brand, free for multiple sequals, DVD sales, merchandising and what have you.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Beetlescott's Avatar
Beetlescott Beetlescott is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,645
Default

I have to say, I love Star Trek, I think we all do. There have been dozens of shows that have tried to copy Star Trek, and they have failed. This will not be one of those. This is Star Trek, The same Star Trek we have all loved for the last 43 years. It will still be Star Trek after May 8th. To think that it is starting over so they can take off in a different timeline is like saying that Star Trek now has zero to do with our beloved Star Trek. This means no TNG, no DS9, no VOY. I haven't loved Lost in Space for 43 years, or Babylon 5, Space1999 or any of the other things. If the powers that be had planned to take off with an entire different timeline, leaving behind all that we love, the Countdown comics, or for that matter Leonard Nimoy wouldn't have been a part of it. Old Spock is going back in time to make sure that very thing doesn't happen!!! Old Spock didn't say, I don't like the way my life went, I want to go back and throw everything that happened away and let it be nixed. I am sorry, if this were to happen, it would be the end of Star Trek for me. I'm too old to start over!!!!!
__________________
LET'S MAKE SURE HISTORY NEVER FORGETS THE NAME ENTERPRISE!!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I have to say, I love Star Trek, I think we all do. There have been dozens of shows that have tried to copy Star Trek, and they have failed. This will not be one of those. This is Star Trek, The same Star Trek we have all loved for the last 43 years. It will still be Star Trek after May 8th. To think that it is starting over so they can take off in a different timeline is like saying that Star Trek now has zero to do with our beloved Star Trek. This means no TNG, no DS9, no VOY. I haven't loved Lost in Space for 43 years, or Babylon 5, Space1999 or any of the other things. If the powers that be had planned to take off with an entire different timeline, leaving behind all that we love, the Countdown comics, or for that matter Leonard Nimoy wouldn't have been a part of it. Old Spock is going back in time to make sure that very thing doesn't happen!!! Old Spock didn't say, I don't like the way my life went, I want to go back and throw everything that happened away and let it be nixed. I am sorry, if this were to happen, it would be the end of Star Trek for me. I'm too old to start over!!!!!
You think as I do.
I don't like the restart. I don't think Trek really needs it. But if they can do then it better be good...really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
This movie is a reboot. A reboot is about creating a new brand around an existing one. That is why you won't confuse a new movie going audience will all this alternate timeline multi-verse whatever you want to call it. This will be the new Trek reality. Nero will change history and that will be that. New brand, free for multiple sequals, DVD sales, merchandising and what have you.
I don't know. I guess we'll see. but would they really abandon 40 years of Trekology?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Beetlescott's Avatar
Beetlescott Beetlescott is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
You think as I do.
I don't like the restart. I don't think Trek really needs it. But if they can do then it better be good...really good.



I don't know. I guess we'll see. but would they really abandon 40 years of Trekology?
I agree Saquist, I am not prepared to give up all the Trek I have loved all these years. It would be like watching a different franchise.
__________________
LET'S MAKE SURE HISTORY NEVER FORGETS THE NAME ENTERPRISE!!!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-30-2009, 05:34 PM
omegaman's Avatar
omegaman omegaman is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Penrith NSW Australia
Posts: 4,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
You think as I do.
I don't like the restart. I don't think Trek really needs it. But if they can do then it better be good...really good.



I don't know. I guess we'll see. but would they really abandon 40 years of Trekology?
In a heartbeat!
__________________
TREK IS TREK. WHATEVER THE TIMELINE!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Oregon_Coast_Trekkie's Avatar
Oregon_Coast_Trekkie Oregon_Coast_Trekkie is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,271
Default

Sorry, but you're not going to see a 60's Enterprise again...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.