The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I don't think they know what they're getting into...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Seven View Post
Typecasting is not so much an issue as in years past. Good actors find opportunities.

The new cast is ready. Question is; are we ready? Don't expect of slew of sequels. Maybe one or two and probably some cast members will leave to be replaced by others.
Fine by me as long as we get quality Trek.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Lieutenant Commander

If the movie is great, or even good, I think this will really boost their careeres - especially Pine and Quinto. But if it stinks, watch out. Movie critics all over the world grew up on Star Trek whether they are rabid fans or not. "You're the guy that killed Star Trek" won't look good on their resume.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Im sorry to say if this movie reviews poorly it will more than likely do poorly and then we wont be discussing it for long. This is why I have hi hopes it WILL review well. The most profitable Treks all reviewed well above 70%. This is critical in my opinion and the fact that they are doing early premiers is a good indication they feel confident they have a winner here. I will be watching Rotten Tomatoes site closely. I mean Im gonna see it no matter what the reviews say. I will just feel more confident in Treks future when I see the positive reviews.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:39 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchief1001 View Post
...I dont think any of these people have been at something like at Trek convention... I hope theyre ready! Comments?
God help them.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:07 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
These new actors have stumbled into probably the biggest entertainment fan circle ever. They are now the crew of Star Trek, and we fans are quite avid... almost maniacal in some cases (namely mine ).

They are now going to be asked to do conventions ALOT... and if previous series are any indicator, and if this movie is successful... which it is likely to be... they will forever be branded as the crew of the USS Enterprise.

Aside from Zachary, and I even think he gets quite the scope of it, I dont think any of these people have been at something like at Trek convention... I hope theyre ready! Comments?
very good question,i think the new actors are just an other wheel in the treks internal mechanism,nothing less
Old 03-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Captain

Just to play devil's advocate here: I think this is the one area where we, the fans, make the decision regarding how the actors are received. No one during the TOS filming had any idea of what they would become a part of because no show had been well... canonized that way before. TOS set the stage for what would follow and what followed was a very similar fan base.

Now, well there's this "new fan base" that's being targeted and frankly I for one don't know what to expect. Will the "new" fans behave as we all did? Will the past predict the future? Will these new fans consider themselves Trekies to the extent that the past generations had, apart from the toys and props and costumes and special effects, etc.? Will it really mean the same to them as it did to us? Will the same masses flock to the cons with not just the same voracity, but with the same conviction that they are glimpsing into what the future could be if we are all lucky and work hard enough at it? I'm not so sure yet.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Just to play devil's advocate here: I think this is the one area where we, the fans, make the decision regarding how the actors are received. No one during the TOS filming had any idea of what they would become a part of because no show had been well... canonized that way before. TOS set the stage for what would follow and what followed was a very similar fan base.

Now, well there's this "new fan base" that's being targeted and frankly I for one don't know what to expect. Will the "new" fans behave as we all did? Will the past predict the future? Will these new fans consider themselves Trekies to the extent that the past generations had, apart from the toys and props and costumes and special effects, etc.? Will it really mean the same to them as it did to us? Will the same masses flock to the cons with not just the same voracity, but with the same conviction that they are glimpsing into what the future could be if we are all lucky and work hard enough at it? I'm not so sure yet.
Some good points. I believe the old Trekkie days of Star trek are gone.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Captain

Quote:
These new actors have stumbled into probably the biggest entertainment fan circle ever. They are now the crew of Star Trek, and we fans are quite avid... almost maniacal in some cases (namely mine ).

They are now going to be asked to do conventions ALOT... and if previous series are any indicator, and if this movie is successful... which it is likely to be... they will forever be branded as the crew of the USS Enterprise.

Aside from Zachary, and I even think he gets quite the scope of it, I dont think any of these people have been at something like at Trek convention... I hope theyre ready! Comments?
I think the collective quote by the cast was, "GULP!"
Old 03-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Ensign

Well the fan base will swell, mostly from hype of the movie and Mr. Abrams personal following, but there will be a distinct division; those who are old fans and those who are new ones. This division will fade as the new fans become acquainted with the older series' but it will be weird at first. But the "old trekkie days" aren't gone... there is just a new group just like TNG didn't kill or overshadow the old fans. And that's all this really is... a new series. There will now be TOS Trek and "New Movie Trek" if you will. This isn't a replacement or even a reboot... the story is still the same, this is just one that hasn't been told yet. People will still watch TOS and love it. I plan on going to next years con in LV. It will be better than ever.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
...... I hope theyre ready! Comments?
Well if they're going to get used to this, then there's no time like the present. That old expression "Baptism of fire" comes to mind.