The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movies are made to make cash, not please fans!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2008, 04:22 AM
Midshipman

Default Movies are made to make cash, not please fans!

Hi, I just would like to remind everyone that the primary reason movies are made is the make money.

I know this hurts, but the people who are funding this movie can care less if J.J. Abrams correctly builds a 'cannon' history for the Salt Vampire, or if he in the process of making a Star Trek movies that the general public will pay to go see for once, damages or frankly gets wrong some of the 'cannon' of Star Trek lore.

Star Trek cannon and lore does not appeal to the massive general public, who feel that they are so late to the boat that if they go see a Star Trek movie they will have no idea what the hell is going on since they did not watch the entire 28 seasons of various Star Trek shows on TV.

The general public, who truly has the ability - if they show up in huge numbers to this movie - to make Star Trek popular enough again that we can get a new TV series that will provide more 'cannon' and content than any 2 hour movie could ever provide us.

So I say to J.J. Abrams, respect the fans, but don't feel forced to damage your vision just so you can protect 40 year old 'cannon' and risk upsetting a group of German Star Trek fans in badly made Borg costumes.

Thanks for your time.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:10 AM
Ensign

I think whilst movies are primarily made to make money - i think the creators, the artists would like to think there doing it for their love of a certain concept/vision.

Many time i've heard Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and JJ Abrams tell us that this would not have been done if they had not felt it could be done.

The thing with this film is that is isn't your average Star Trek flick. This is Star Trek's moment to become bigger than its fan-base - to reach out and interest people who would have walked past any such film.

Its not as simple as respecting Canon or continuing a timeline, whilst this might be the case, this film has to do something far more important - restart a dying brand name - the idea of going back to such iconic characters as Kirk and Spock is the only way this franchise with all of its 40 year history could have been saved - that in itself is something the fans should be happy about - that this isn't a totally new ship with totally new characters that totally change Star Trek - this is bringing it even closer to its original concept.

Paramount want Star Trek to be big again, the artist, JJ Abrams felt the best way to do this without losing 40 years of history to a new concept - was to bring it back home, to tell the beginnings story to one of America's and the world's biggest icons - Captain. James T. Kirk.

The Future Begins
Old 02-11-2008, 05:20 AM
Ensign

Well - the Lord of the Rings trilogy polks a giant whole in that theory, doesn't it?

One is dependent on the other.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:29 AM
Captain

Reminder to *THEM*:

"Cannon" are large projectile weapons.

"Canon" is a term used to refer to Trek history and continuity.

You're right, movies are a business...but they also need to attract as much of the fan base as possible when they have a movie they will need to make at LEAST $200 million on to cover all costs and expenses...
Old 02-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Rear Admiral

lol, Canon is also a very overly used word too.

But you are right, movies are made to make cash, why else would they make them?

Although after working a few years at a movie theatre, I was able to see that a lot movie were made just to be made, for the sole purpose of DVD sales later.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Ensign

Not to mention that no one but the creative team that are working on the movie have any effect on its outcome... so there isn't anything any Trek fan (not on the team) can do about what gets put on screen.

*stating the obvious*
Old 02-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Lieutenant

So... fans aren't paying movie goers?
Old 02-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Ensign

I'm sure J. J. Abrams and his team are not concerned about the movie making money at the moment, although it's probably in the back of their minds. I can imagine those paramount movie executives are looking over Abrams shoulder. The toys will most likely sell well, the movie can also do better oversees than here in the U.S.

Trek Passions is the first dating site for science-fiction fans, and it's free.

http://www.trekpassions.com/
Old 02-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal View Post
So... fans aren't paying movie goers?
Oh they are, just not a big enough margin to only cater to their whims.

Last edited by myrth : 02-11-2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Edited for spelling
Old 02-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Ensign

You can't make the cash, if you don't please the fan!