The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Kings (the nbc show)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Lieutenant

I really like Kings so far (as my avatar and sig might suggest, lol). I think it is well written and well cast. I just hope the poor ratings don't make NBC cancel it or burn off the rest of the episodes at some obscure time. After CBS canceled Jericho, I've had a hard time getting invested in another show of this caliber, so if they do cancel it, I won't be happy.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Federation Councillor

I can assure everyone, I am an athiest by choice and by deciding so for myself. There's absolutely nothing about trying to be 'hip' that factors into it - period. And I also decide for myself what TV to watch, so if a show had a religious undercurrent, but was in fact a decent TV show, I would watch it. Even the X-Files had it's fair share of Faith vs Science. It can be very interesting, even though I'm happy with the part I believe in.

It's why I can listen to Country music as well.

But if it's a dud show for me, it's a dud - fair and square. Whatever it's about. So, if this should end up on a channel I can watch, I may give it a go.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 03-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I can assure everyone, I am an athiest by choice and by deciding so for myself. There's absolutely nothing about trying to be 'hip' that factors into it - period. And I also decide for myself what TV to watch, so if a show had a religious undercurrent, but was in fact a decent TV show, I would watch it. Even the X-Files had it's fair share of Faith vs Science. It can be very interesting, even though I'm happy with the part I believe in.

It's why I can listen to Country music as well.

But if it's a dud show for me, it's a dud - fair and square. Whatever it's about. So, if this should end up on a channel I can watch, I may give it a go.
Does Hulu.com not play in the UK?

Old 03-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Does Hulu.com not play in the UK?
They only stream in the USA. It might come over eventually.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 03-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
You know, I really....REALLY....try my best to be understanding of folks who hate God, or don't believe in God, or want to impose their atheism on everyone else.

I try to be understanding of people that try and impose their spirituality on me, too.
And who on earth hates god?

My point was that there are a lot of Christian shows out there, but not too many Jewish or Hindu or Buddhist shows. (I'll admit that Seinfeld and The Nanny might be exceptions to this.)
Old 03-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
I try to be understanding of people that try and impose their spirituality on me, too.
And who on earth hates god?
Fair enough, as that is a reason why some people go over to atheism. I was just trying to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerhanner
My point was that there are a lot of Christian shows out there, but not too many Jewish or Hindu or Buddhist shows. (I'll admit that Seinfeld and The Nanny might be exceptions to this.)
Indeed. On that I can agree.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:28 AM
Vice Admiral

People don't not believe in god because they hate the idea. It's not 'god' that drives people away from organised religion, it's people who get on their soapboxes and display a flagrant disregard for the intellectual and spiritual privacy of others.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
People don't not believe in god because they hate the idea. It's not 'god' that drives people away from organised religion, it's people who get on their soapboxes and display a flagrant disregard for the intellectual and spiritual privacy of others.
Aye. I agree with that too.

I work with a couple of guys who I really don't think are full on atheists, but they get pretty irate when someone tries to force God/Jesus on them or someone they know.

Case in point, a bassist I work with was working with another band sometime back, and the drummer of that band (the presumed leader) comes up to him one day and asks: "Hey, how's your baby boy doing?"

My friend replies that his kid's doing fine.

The drummer says: "Well, I can tell ya how he'd do better. Your boy needs a little Jesus in him."

Which of course set off my friend.

I didn't witness this first hand. It was told to me by my friend. Can't say that I blame him. I too don't like it when someone gets THAT presumptuous.

What I said earlier wasn't so much trying to force God/Jesus/spirituality on anyone. It was just more a plaintive stating that there's nothing wrong with having a little faith.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
That actually brings up a good point I just now thought of. This would actually include "Kings" as well, since it's based on Old Testament story. There's a chance Jesus or Christianity may never be acknowledged in this tv show. If you look at "Kings" as a modernization of the OT kings (Saul, David, and Solomon), the story's representation of Jesus and his followers wouldn't be a twinkle in anyone's eye yet.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Vice Admiral

This goy is forced to say, "Oi! Good point!"