The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Kings (the nbc show)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Kings (the nbc show)

Two episodes in and this show really is turning out to be a high quality drama show. My middle name is David, my parents named me after the Biblical character. As a result I've been a bit into studying this King. Upon hearing there was a show on tv coming to nbc I was skeptical, but I'm actually quite pleased.

Canonista naysayers may disagree, but I don't think complaints about canon are relevant here. The story is meant to be a parallel. The events that happen are only relatable to the story in the Bible (the fact that they're driving cars may tip you off on that).

The three biggest events of the David story (in my opinion):

1.) Goliath, the show has already focused on this for the first season. And of course, David Shepherd will no doubt be remembered for this event.

2.) Bathsheba. This story arc will probably be a big dramatic moment and one the show producers will not delete. But (hopefully if the show is a success), this event probably will not happen till season two or three. Or should not happen anyway. I hope they don't waste it on the first season out of fear of ratings or something. This event happens when he's King and it becomes one of the biggest dark spots of David's life.

3.) Absalom. The betrayal of David's son. Another big dark spot on David's life.

Also, by the name Kings, I assume the show hopes to portray more than one (Silas, who is parallel to King Saul of the Bible) or even just two (David), it's possible the show will go into David's son Solomon who of course also becomes king.

I like the fact that even though technically speaking it is a secular program that they have not copped out and decided, "let's go safe, and make everything mundane." At the end of the first episode it becomes apparent that there is supernatural presence at work, be it God, a god, or they're in the Matrix (lol, j/k), something a little more than mundane is going on.

Really, just approach this show with an open mind, both those of religion and those not. It really is a good show, I hope it doesn't get cancelled.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Vice Admiral

I admit that I was interested in checking this show out, but now that I know it's a Bible thing I'm much less likely to check it out. I know, I know, open minds and all, but don't we have enough Christian stuff on the tube as it is???

I was hoping it had something to do with European royalty, like the Hapsburgs.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Rear Admiral

Ahhh The Sacramento Kings have not been worth a (you know what) since Mike Bibby left the team...wha?...An NBC TV show? Have not the time to watch it.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
I admit that I was interested in checking this show out, but now that I know it's a Bible thing I'm much less likely to check it out. I know, I know, open minds and all, but don't we have enough Christian stuff on the tube as it is???
Like what? Televangelists and Dr. Phil?

Besides this show isn't really a Christian thing. It's definitely told from a secular perspective. But it's something for both the religious and nonreligious. The show is fiction and if you're nonreligious, even atheist, you can look at the show as fantasy like Lord of the Rings.

The show's drama has a lot of social commentary really. King Silas using God and saying the war is God's will sounds a lot like a certain recent president.

Also since it is a secular program, God or whatever supernatural force represented on the show may end up turning out to be not a nice person. Something religious people will have to deal with if they decide to give this show a chance.

Last edited by MigueldaRican : 03-23-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Vice Admiral

Off the top of my head I can think of Touched by an Angel, and I think Crossing Jordan. Plus that one a while back with Michael Landon. Televangelists are technically comedy.

However, your defense of Kings has changed my mind, and I'll check it out!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:18 AM
Admiral

I heard some of the story line of kings. Not really catching my intrest. I have too many other shows to keep track of as it is anyway.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 03-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Captain

Cool

The first episode only pulled something like 6 million, which didn't please NBC, that's why there's such a big media blitz about the show.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Fleet Admiral

You know, I really....REALLY....try my best to be understanding of folks who hate God, or don't believe in God, or want to impose their atheism on everyone else. (Conversely, I don't like it when folks try to impose their "religions" on anyone else, especially those for whom religion or spirituality brings discomfort or resentment. The following is not meant to be an imposition of spirtuality....simply a personal feeling.)

I'll be straight up honest and tell ya, I had not the best of childhoods.....not the worst....but a lot worse than many others. But one thing that I only occasionally wavered from (and regret every single time I did it, even in my adult life) was my belief in God.

I was never punished if I did turn my back on Him, because for whatever reason, my mom tried adopting the atheistic lifestyle, which had a bad influence on me. Then she fell deathly ill. At first, it seemed she was diagnosed with something simple (I think it was pneumonia)....and she was so relieved she started singing: "Jesus Loves Me". Then it turns out the diagnosis was much more complicated. She contracted a rare disease apparently called "Good Pasture's Syndrome" or something like that. It was a disease that ate away at her for a year and a half before it finally claimed her life. Now I'm not trying to speak ill of my mom (despite our sometimes shaky life), but it was amazing how quickly she went running back to God when her life was endangered.

It is often said that the very first thing an atheist says upon learning of their impending death is : "Oh, my God."

I honestly believe that many who pursue atheism only do it because it's the "hip/cool" thing to do nowadays. It's "fashionable" to be atheistic. So now, to be even cooler, they're trying to drive God out of every aspect of our lives: Out of anything that invokes His name in any public forum, gathering, activity, or appears on legal tender, or buildings, ....anywhere where His name appears, they want it driven out. Out of the Pledge of Allegiance. All because: "Hey, all the cool kids are doing it." or worse yet: "Because my intellect won't permit me to believe in something bigger than myself." I ask earnestly: Since when does believing in God (or whomever could be held as a higher power) constitute a "lack of intellect"? Being a believer does not mean one lives a "backwards existence".

Listen, I'm not saying the above to be hurtful or spiteful. I honestly am not. In fact, I feel sad. Faith is NOT a bad thing. Faith in something bigger than yourself is definitely NOT a bad thing.

Pagans, Buddhists, Wiccans, Shintoists, Satanists and what nots....I really can't say much....at least they believe in something bigger than themselves. I won't begrudge them their spirituality. Even if it's not what I might believe in, I can at least respect it, and be happy for them. (Well...the Satanists I might be a little worried about. )

Look...yes, I am a believer....but what's between God and I is between God and I.

You want to see some real hypocrites? Come down to New Orleans during Mardi Gras, or during Decadence (Gay Pride), or any day where there is a lot of revelry and drinking and general carryings on of folks just having a good time. You'll see this hardcore (supposedly) Christian sect that comes out with big banners saying : "God hates...." (and you can pretty much put down whatever you can think of.... Roman Catholicism, Homosexuality, Unsubmissive Wives, Alcholics, Fornicators, Adulterers...I mean....their list goes on.) They even have bullhorns that they try to call down the masses that flow through the street during these festive occasions.

Now, I know I have been guilty in the past of inadvertently hurting some good folks here for things that I didn't agree with. And sometimes, I invoked God's name in the process. However, I've seriously reevaluated my stance in that regard. I still don't agree with some ways of life, but it does not mean that whomever lives it or practices it is not a good and decent person. Yes, I can be accused of hypocrisy. But at least I'm man enough to admit it...and to admit I was wrong at the time, and to this day offer my sincerest apologies to those whom I've hurt through my insensitivity.

With that said, going back to the hyper-Christian hypocrites that place themselves in the middle of Bourbon St during the big party periods, I personally would love to walk up to them one day, and say: "You know what God really doesn't like?" (I won't use the word HATE when it comes to God and His Son Jesus Christ, one of the coolest, most kicked-back individuals to ever walk the face of this Earth.) "God doesn't like people who persecute others in His name. It is only His to judge. No one else's."

Folks, you know what God really doesn't like? Religion. It is because of religion (especially "organized religion") that wars are started. Religion is when people hold their beliefs to be above everyone else's. Religion is believing The Word says one thing, while another believes The Word says something else. That, my friends, is where the real stupidity, the real "backwards livers" come into play. It is because of religion that "sprituality" gets a bad name. I don't consider myself "religious" or "holy"....just spiritual, and a believer.

I am reminded of a humorous story, and I apologize in advance if this offends anyone, but here goes:

A teacher decided she was going to impose her atheistic beliefs on her "impressionable" second grade class.

She asks little Timmy to go oustide for a second and look all around. So Timmy complies. A couple minutes later he returns.

The teacher asks: "Timmy, did you see the tree out there?"

Timmy replies: "Yes."

She continues: "Did you see the ground, the grass, feel the air, see the sky?"

To all those, Timmy replies in the affirmative.

Then the teacher asks: "Did you see God?"

Timmy answers: "No."

The teacher replies: "There you have it. God cannot possibly exist because you can't see Him or feel Him."

Well, this got some murmurings from the students, while the teacher stood there grinning, looking rather pleased with herself. Now maybe I can start making some "smart" students, she muses to herself.

Little Lisa then stands up, smiling: "Timmy, can you see our teacher?"

Timmy replies: "Yes."

Lisa asks: "Can you see her brain?"

Timmy replies: "No."

Lisa replies: "Well, then she obviously doesn't have a brain, because you can't see it or touch it."

(I always get a kick out of that.)

As for the show "Kings": I'll have to check this out on Hulu.com. It does look interesting.

Again, stated with as much sensitivity and compassion as possible,
I remain, respectfully yours,
Steve

Last edited by martok2112 : 03-24-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Woe woe woe woe woe woe woe woe woe woe woe woe woe woe wooooe...

Woe...

Woe...

Woe.

I don't want to turn this thread into religious debate and condemnation. I might tend to agree with you really as I am a Christian, but I don't want to get this thread closed. As a Christian I also believe we must respect the rules of state. Right now that state is the "star trek movie forums".

Quote:
Controversial Topics
Threads with controversial topics such as abortion, religion, or politics are not to be posted in Off Topic and will be removed. The same rules applies in the other forums. We also ask people not to use controversial or political topics in their avatars or signatures. It's important people consider the official movie forums a welcoming site to be on, not a place where people feel a need to defend themselves for who they are or what they believe.
I learned my lesson once.

Anyway, I believe we can look at this new tv show from a completely literary standpoint. How does Kings parallel the Biblical story? What are the differences (beyond of course driving cars)?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigueldaRican View Post
Woe woe woe woe woe woe woe woe woe woe woe woe woe woe wooooe...

Woe...

Woe...

Woe.

I don't want to turn this thread into religious debate and condemnation. I might tend to agree with you really as I am a Christian, but I don't want to get this thread closed. As a Christian I also believe we must respect the rules of state. Right now that state is the "star trek movie forums".

I learned my lesson once.

Anyway, I believe we can look at this new tv show from a completely literary standpoint. How does Kings parallel the Biblical story? What are the differences (beyond of course driving cars)?
Aye....I think I may have accidentally hit the post button with an initial draft of this message that was a bit more....ummm....."unintentionally vehement". For that, I went back, revised the post to be more compassionate...perhaps even more plaintive.

I don't want to see this thread shut down either. That's why I went back to revise the tone of my post.

Apologies to anyone who may have seen the original draft....which I pray I really DIDN'T post. LOL!

The subject is the show "Kings"...and again, it looks really interesting. Will try to catch this on Hulu.com. (A great place to catch up on a lot of your favorite shows.)