The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New TV-serie after the movie?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
When it was first announced, I and many other fans thought it was going to actually be about Robert April's Enterprise...
and that would have been cool also

Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I remember back in 1999 or so, Paramount was thinking of doing a 23rd century show once again...I wonder if it would have been more successful than Voyager and Enterprise?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
It's not limited to the movie screen at all.
Tell CBS and Viacom that.
Quote:
Both CBS and Paramount are subsidiaries of a parent company called National Amusements, Inc. They may be separate legal business entities, but the money all comes home to the same place eventually. If they really wanted to put a small screen version of this Star Trek together, they could. National Amusements owns both the television and the film franchises by virtue of them holding a controlling interest in CBS and Viacom.
The key phrase there is "If they really wanted to..." And currently, they don't.

"National Amusements" is essentially Sumner Redstone, the person who split up CBS and Viacom in the first place. He owns both CBS and Viacom but allows them to run as separate companies. Indeed, he split them up so that they could run as separate companies. One of the first things that happened after the split was the division of Paramount (and therefore Star Trek) between CBS and Viacom.

For Redstone, it doesn't matter what either Viacom or CBS does with Star Trek because either way he wins. The whole feud between Viacom and CBS is a result of Redstone not really caring what they do as long as both make him money. CBS and Viacom are acting like little kids fighting with one another because daddy is too busy to be bothered.

You're not going to see any collaboration between CBS and Viacom unless Redstone makes some changes in management with either company...
Old 03-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Admiral

I see a new series coming in 2012. It won't be your usual Trek though and won't revolve around a single starship and its crew.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I see a new series coming in 2012. It won't be your usual Trek though and won't revolve around a single starship and its crew.
That would be interesting.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Ensign

I think that the new line of trek should all be movies I don't think there is enough reason for a new series and besides it means that the best technology can be used, the best writers, actors, composers etc, etc
Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Ensign

KELVIN series please
ive fallen in love with that ship of late
Old 05-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Commander

I still think there should only be movies.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyanEva View Post
I still think there should only be movies.
Then be assured.
Orci & Kurtzman were asked the same sort of question (TV series) in the screenwriter podcast I posted somewhere.
They mentioned the Paramount/CBS split but elected to remain neutral and silent on the issue.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Commander

The only thing we know for sure right now is that the cast of Star Trek (2009) is contracted to make two more films. Abrams' five year contract with Paramount expires in 2011, the year set for the release of the sequel to this year's Star Trek movie, which has yet to be written. Abrams may direct this sequel, but is only contracted to produce it. He may not direct or produce the third sequel.

In addition to all this I don't think Paramount wants to put Trek back on the air, what supposedly killed Trek was oversaturation, instead of slowly built anticipation. Why was this film a box-office success? Old fans were curious to see where Abrams was taking the franchise, disappointed with series like Voyager and Enterprise, or didn't like the TNG films, and were starved for OS Trek films. So Trekkies came out for it even if they *****ed about it later.