The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New TV-serie after the movie?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
It should be interesting to see what CBS does with the television portion of the Trek franchise. They probably won't follow the Abramsveres because it is the domain of Paramount and limited to the movie screen. So they would have to do something totally different. I, personally, would love to see a series chronicling the early adventures of Captain April and the maiden voyage of the Enterprise. That would be interesting.
It's not limited to the movie screen at all.

Both CBS and Paramount are subsidiaries of a parent company called National Amusements, Inc. They may be separate legal business entities, but the money all comes home to the same place eventually. If they really wanted to put a small screen version of this Star Trek together, they could. National Amusements owns both the television and the film franchises by virtue of them holding a controlling interest in CBS and Viacom.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannydeK View Post
JJ Abrams is knows for his TV work like Lost, Fringe and the spy serie Alias (and many more). If this movie is a succes, and I think it will be. Do you think there'll be new TV-serie with this crew?

They could make a sort of new TOS with the same style as the movie (much more action). I think it will be a great succes. It feels like the good time to make a new serie. Look at the Battlestar Galactica remake which just ended. All the seasons were so awesome, and it was also a remake with a fanbase.

I'm sure JJ Abrams is up for it. Lost will be ended very soon, and Fringe isn't the succes he whished to be. Are there any good reasons why they shouldn't do it? With this awesome writers, cast it could be a gold mine for both the fans and the makers.
A new TV series will depend on how the movie does at the box office I'm sure, but if Abrams is involved would probably have to be something discussed between CBS, Paramount and Abrams, since Abrams I would believe works for Paramount to do the movies, not CBS.

My hope is a new series will be just that, a NEW series with a new ship and new crew...
Old 03-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
It's not limited to the movie screen at all.

Both CBS and Paramount are subsidiaries of a parent company called National Amusements, Inc. They may be separate legal business entities, but the money all comes home to the same place eventually. If they really wanted to put a small screen version of this Star Trek together, they could. National Amusements owns both the television and the film franchises by virtue of them holding a controlling interest in CBS and Viacom.
I don't think the fact that they are owned by or are held by controlling interests by the same company upstream matters, Red Shirt, and we may have had this same discussion over at st.com...

CBS owns Trek but licenses Paramount it's share to make movies...
Old 03-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
I don't think the fact that they are owned by or are held by controlling interests by the same company upstream matters, Red Shirt, and we may have had this same discussion over at st.com...

CBS owns Trek but licenses Paramount it's share to make movies...
I'm not aware of a discussion over at st.com...I've never had the pleasure of surfing that board.

I was commenting to the assertion that CBS couldn't take the new movie version and turn it into a series if it wants to because it's "limited" to the movie screen.

My point was that (a) it's not limited and (b) since they do have the same parent company it wouldn't be. It matters in the sense that they may be separate companies but, at the end of the day, if the boss says "make it happen" they're going to make it happen.

I don't believe a new series will be sprung from this film and I don't think it should be. Like you, I think if there's a new series, it should be new. Not a TOS redux.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Commander

One of the interesting aspects of this is the licensing.
As currently seen with Warren Beatty and his Dick Tracy problem right now, not doing something with the rights can lead to loss of them. From what I can tell, and this may be specific to WB's case, 10 years of inactivity seems to be the trick.

Meaning that as long as a new Trek movie is produced at least every 10 years (presumption) the rights can stay separated as they are being actively pursued. The 10 years seems about right but Trek may have a different allotment in the original negotiation.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Captain

Cool

You said almost the exact same things as another poster over at st.com, Red Shirt, so I thought maybe you were the same person.

Still, I don't think once you get farther upstream after CBS and Paramount I don't think they care about anything but dollar signs anyway...so I would presume the decision would still be left between CBS and Paramount.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Commander

I don't think there's any way that Paramount won't be the licensee of Star Trek films...even if the license should "expire." CBS isn't about to sell the rights and Paramount would get the license anyway based on their mutual tie.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
You said almost the exact same things as another poster over at st.com, Red Shirt, so I thought maybe you were the same person.

Still, I don't think once you get farther upstream after CBS and Paramount I don't think they care about anything but dollar signs anyway...so I would presume the decision would still be left between CBS and Paramount.
Nope! I'm just me and I'm just here.

Well, that's actually my point, though. The $$ are what reigns supreme in business so if CBS wants it, it's going to happen. IF there were ever a roadblock (and that's a remote possibility) National Amusements would absolutely have a say in the matter, I'm sure.

There's no way that this iteration of Trek is "limited to the big screen." That's all I was saying before.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Please no new Trek series....this is why it almost died....it became supersaturated and stale. If it comes to TV again it will need to be totally different and most probably after TNG timeframe IMO.

I must say I thought Enterprise should have been Pikes Enterprise.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhaige View Post
Please no new Trek series....this is why it almost died....it became supersaturated and stale. If it comes to TV again it will need to be totally different and most probably after TNG timeframe IMO.

I must say I thought Enterprise should have been Pikes Enterprise.
When it was first announced, I and many other fans thought it was going to actually be about Robert April's Enterprise...