The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New TV-serie after the movie?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 05:06 AM
Ensign

Default New TV-serie after the movie?

JJ Abrams is knows for his TV work like Lost, Fringe and the spy serie Alias (and many more). If this movie is a succes, and I think it will be. Do you think there'll be new TV-serie with this crew?

They could make a sort of new TOS with the same style as the movie (much more action). I think it will be a great succes. It feels like the good time to make a new serie. Look at the Battlestar Galactica remake which just ended. All the seasons were so awesome, and it was also a remake with a fanbase.

I'm sure JJ Abrams is up for it. Lost will be ended very soon, and Fringe isn't the succes he whished to be. Are there any good reasons why they shouldn't do it? With this awesome writers, cast it could be a gold mine for both the fans and the makers.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:22 AM
Ensign

Anythings possible if the right amount of money is involved. But I think it unlikely.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:40 AM
Rear Admiral

Any new Trek TV series will not involve J.J. Abrams, even if he was so inclined to do one. The days of one person like Rick Berman in charge of both Trek's film and TV franchises are over...
Old 03-23-2009, 05:45 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Any new Trek TV series will not involve J.J. Abrams, even if he was so inclined to do one. The days of one person like Rick Berman in charge of both Trek's film and TV franchises are over...
He is the man you want for a succesful serie, his name alone is good for many viewers. Also, movie/serie isn't a problem. Look at Stargate. They also make series and movies, with the same people involved.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 AM
Commander

I don't think there will be a series based on this crew. Not anytime soon, anyway.

Paramount will want to make more films, not create a new television series. Films make them more money than hour-long episodic drama and networks are looking at scaling back at produced dramas right now because of production costs.

Besides, Quinto is already under contract to a television series at present. Pine, Saldana, Urban, Pegg, Cho and Yelchin already have established or emerging film careers.

This crew of the Starship Enterprise will exist in the film world only, I'd think.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:09 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannydeK View Post
He is the man you want for a succesful serie, his name alone is good for many viewers. Also, movie/serie isn't a problem. Look at Stargate. They also make series and movies, with the same people involved.
Doesn't matter, it ain't going to happen. Pigs would fly first.

Star Trek's movie and film divisions went their separate ways in 2006 when Paramount was split between Viacom and CBS. The two companies do not get along and are actually in the process of trying to undermine one another in the premium cable market. For CBS to court J.J. Abrams, that would mean CBS swallowing its pride and kiss Viacom's you know what. One of the reasons why Viacom and CBS went their separate ways was because they couldn't work together under the same umbrella. They both got half of Paramount (and therefore half of Star Trek) as part of the settlement.

Even this very website--if your scroll down at the bottom of the page--has to acknowledge the two owners of the Star Trek franchise. Paramount Pictures (aka Viacom) and CBS Studios.

Any new Trek series will likely continue in the original timeline from the TV shows and will probably feature totally different producers. Conversely, future Trek movies will likely continue in the new timeline created in Star Trek XI under Abrams...
Old 03-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Ensign

Well, if they go for Ronald D. Moore, who is known for almost all the ST series of course, but also made the new Battlestar Galactica a great succes and piece of art, I see a great serie in the future. They can't make a serie in the 199X style though. They need to go with something refreshing, like this movie. The timeframe would be hard to choose. Maybe just after the time the TNG crew is gone, just a next-next generation? Very difficult.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Lieutenant

I expect to see a series based on Captain Pike to rival the Star Wars series.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Rear Admiral

CBS can technically do whatever they want with their half of Star Trek franchise. They could do a series set before, during, or after any of the five TV shows.

It's even plausible that CBS could do their own reboot/remake of TOS as long as it's not set in the same continuity as Star Trek XI.

Another option--which seems to be the one CBS is favoring right now--is to just recycle the previous TV shows and just collect money from blue-ray DVD sales and new merchandising. There was a report that CBS plans to replace TOS-Remastered (currently airing in syndication) with TNG. WGN in Chicago already began airing TNG repeats last month...
Old 03-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Vice Admiral

It should be interesting to see what CBS does with the television portion of the Trek franchise. They probably won't follow the Abramsveres because it is the domain of Paramount and limited to the movie screen. So they would have to do something totally different. I, personally, would love to see a series chronicling the early adventures of Captain April and the maiden voyage of the Enterprise. That would be interesting.