The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Goodbye Galactica, You Will be Missed
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Rear Admiral

Its going to be more like Dallas or Dynasty was back in the 80's. With a touch of Sci-Fi, oops, I mean SyFy.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:19 AM
Admiral

Yes, I'm gonna miss it, but I'm not sad. It has to be the best four seasons of scifi out there and the finale was phenomenal. They left so many questions open, especially Starbuck's return and the higher power that was at work 'guiding everything'. I am glad they left that to interpretation, some friends and I debated what the 'it' Baltar was referring to at the very end for hours afterwards.

It was definitely wise to leave it open, but I, for one, am glad they explained our connection to BSG, modern Earth that is. How we, our world, relates or connects to these people.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Captain

Cool

Only thing missing was at the end, Edward James Olmos doing a voiceover of "There are those who believe that life here began out there..."

Would have fit it all together.

Laura's death was indeed sad, brought a tear to these old eyes too.

Liked the touch of the original BSG theme as the ships went off to their end...

Great episode.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Only thing missing was at the end, Edward James Olmos doing a voiceover of "There are those who believe that life here began out there..."
That would have made for a very nifty ending.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Liked the touch of the original BSG theme as the ships went off to their end...
Oh, great point to mention! I'd forgotten about it until you said so... thanks.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Only thing missing was at the end, Edward James Olmos doing a voiceover of "There are those who believe that life here began out there...".
Nice thought indeed! That would've been a nice addition. I also liked how they used the original theme as the fleet went off into the sun. They've used the theme sparingly throughout the series so when it's heard it doesn't lose it's power and it is one powerful piece of music.

I also liked that they didn't show the Galactica or other ships explode or being torn apart, they just sailed off into the sunset, kinda like the ol' E in Trek VI.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 03-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
So....they reached Earth.
No, they didn't. Which is what is so brilliant
Old 03-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I also liked that they didn't show the Galactica or other ships explode or being torn apart, they just sailed off into the sunset, kinda like the ol' E in Trek VI.
I was happy to see that too. Reminded me very much of Trek VI and a little of All Good Things...
Old 03-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I'm of two minds about it, really.
First off, I loved the way Moore tied everything up at the end. He focused on the characters, and that truly was the meat of this show. I think my favorite part was when the truth came out about Kallie's "suicide" and how it changed EVERYTHING.

The other thing I liked was when we got to the very end, and they tied it into our world very neatly... Hera being "Eve", and the evidence that the cycle is starting again, with the news reports about the latest developments in robotics...

But, and this is just me grousing... Correct me if I'm wrong, but did we just watch the biggest "Deus ex machina" ending in the history of science fiction the other night? I mean, literally, Moore pretty much put everything he couldn't neatly explain down to "God" screwing around with things. To me, that smacks of sloppy storytelling.

Still, the series is probably the single best, and most subversive, thing that has been on TV since "The Prisoner." The fact that they could do stories like those in the alge planet-Cylon occupation arc, and do it during the height of the Bush Administration's near nazi dictatorship of the US, and it's "preemptive war" in Iraq... was pretty gutsy. We were castr as the occupying force, the technologically advanced, but morally destitute occupation force... the cylons. The Iraqis were cast into the role of the colonials, who only wished to be left alone. It was all shown there: the torture, the trigger happy troops, the suicide bombings... And the US was NOT in the role of being the good guys.

Yup. Great series.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
But, and this is just me grousing... Correct me if I'm wrong, but did we just watch the biggest "Deus ex machina" ending in the history of science fiction the other night? I mean, literally, Moore pretty much put everything he couldn't neatly explain down to "God" screwing around with things. To me, that smacks of sloppy storytelling.
That part did disappoint me a little, but beyond that, the finale was great. I would have preferred some more concrete answers about Kara and less of the spiritual explanations.