The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New TV series starring new movie cast?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Midshipman

Default New TV series starring new movie cast?

While there's a snowman's chance in hell of this happening, I think it is still an interesting topic.

Come Christmas, let's say the movie is a HUGE success. It revives the spirit of Star Trek, they are rolling in the cash moneys, and announce a new Trek TV series. This is also assuming everybody loves the cast set for this movie. Would you want to see them start off the Enterprise adventures in this new series? Possibly explain and connect it to TOS in some ways?

What do you think?
Old 02-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I think if the movie is a huge success, then they will branch out into sequel movies, not a series. It will be interesting to see if J.J. would be willing to come back for any sequels, or all of the cast members for that matter. If they made a new series, it would definitely be a reboot. I don't think they really want to mess with TOS that much. I would be willing to see the sequels though if the first movie was good.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATEDNCC1701 View Post
I think if the movie is a huge success, then they will branch out into sequel movies, not a series. It will be interesting to see if J.J. would be willing to come back for any sequels, or all of the cast members for that matter. If they made a new series, it would definitely be a reboot. I don't think they really want to mess with TOS that much. I would be willing to see the sequels though if the first movie was good.
I agree with this... I think that I'd like to see AT LEAST a trilogy if this movie goes well.

As far as a series goes, I would rather see them jump back to the post-TNG era... You really never know where the story line of this film could go, anything is possible.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Midshipman

One thing this will accomplish is giving us a new set of (younger but aging) actors to play TOS roles in any other aspect of the franchise should the need arise.

Say that Paramount decides to move forward with another show, perhaps picking up between TOS and TNG or even after Voyager. NOW you can have that crossover without worrying about cost-averaging the original actors or having them show up as senior citizens.

I think the best way to go would be to revamp ENTERPRISE and show the stories that would have been the last three seasons. Use this as a proper bridge between Enterprise and Kirk's time.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Midshipman

I'm struggling to think of movies that spawned TV series. With respect of Trek, TOS came first, to spawn the movies, then TNG to spawn Generations et al.

I think XI has the potential to be a great movie, a completely refreshed look at the way people, even die hard fans see Star Trek. The "grit" and hard work of Enterprise, utilising what technology is available at the time, seeing essenetially their Next Generation take shape.

Take Batman for example. You get the gothic version with Keaton, then the forgotten times of Kilmer and Clooney. Then, there's a complete re shuffle, the concept of graphic novels is taken notice and voila, "Batman Begins" and now "The Dark Knight". People may not immediately forsee a new Trek show, but perhaps after XI they wont moan and groan when in the next two years, XII comes along.

- Some random bloke that clearly took a lot of shortcuts
Old 02-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Midshipman

Personally, I think that moving post-TNG would be better; although give it a different Character.

I'd like to see a show that focuses on an Anthropology team on a duckblind mission to some planet personally. It can be those human stories the Trek is good at, but not in the same way that's become so familiar.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I think this could be done a la Star Trek Phase II which ended up being TMP... I would love to see them pick up the story between TMP and TWOK... You would have to find other "40 something" actors to do this though, rather than use this movie cast...
Old 02-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Lieutenant

I see trilogy before series also, and if there would be a series I see it not involving this cast.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Midshipman

If I were to choose something for a sequel, I would not go with another pre-tos, nor a post TNG, DS9, VOY story, but an ENT story line. Now, don't diss this idea till you've heard me out here. Think about it! Since TOS, we've heard about the Human-Romulan Wars, but we've never seen them. I was very much dissapointed cause that story was supposed to take place during Archers time, but thank's to the numnut who got ENT canned, they never made it that far. If J.J. does a kickass job with this movie, I'll hope he signs up for this idea here.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Rear Admiral

I think if the movie is a hit, they would make a couple of sequel's before thinking about a new series.