The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > spock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I had a theory that someone had died, or they thought someone had died. Most likely Kirk, or maybe Pike. Then Uhura is upset and hugs Spock, who doesn't know how to feel, being conflicted by emotion and all. Am I way off on this one?

I don't think Vulcan actually gets destroyed in the film, even though it is in an alternate universe. I think the planet getting destroyed is some insignifigant planet, one in which Nero is testing his device out on. That's the formula for these types of movies anyway. First they show you that the weapon works on an innocent planet, then when they use it on your planet they get foiled.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Spocks behaviour is entirely normal for his character which has not yet achieved a balance with his human side. "Tell mom I feel fine."

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Indeed.
Yet Spock's percieved behavior is divergent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Spocks behaviour is entirely normal for his character which has not yet achieved a balance with his human side. "Tell mom I feel fine."
I agree with omegaman I dont thank that at this point his behavior is divergent. If this was the TOS timeline I would say that his development was somewhere between The Cage and BOT. Maybe part of the story in this film is to show his transformation from confliction about his two sides to acceptance of his vulcan hertage and supression of his human side.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I cant help but recall the smile Spock emotes to Pike upon grabbing the humming leaves on Talos lV. Or his Jim-gasm at the end of Amok time.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhaige View Post
I cant help but recall the smile Spock emotes to Pike upon grabbing the humming leaves on Talos lV. Or his Jim-gasm at the end of Amok time.
That was a good one. I think that this was done before they had nailed down what his vulcan character was going to be about--with supressing the emotions and all that stuff that defines his character. The Talos IV episode, that is.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digginonrand View Post
That was a good one. I think that this was done before they had nailed down what his vulcan character was going to be about--with supressing the emotions and all that stuff that defines his character. The Talos IV episode, that is.
Agreed but it was shown in The Menagerie. The whole motivation behind Spocks involvement in that ep was emotional. He risks his own life so Pike can live the rest of his life in some form of happiness.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhaige View Post
Agreed but it was shown in The Menagerie. The whole motivation behind Spocks involvement in that ep was emotional. He risks his own life so Pike can live the rest of his life in some form of happiness.
That was a great episode. A good utilization of the original pilot. Spock, afterall, isn't a machine. He even expressed a certain amount of envy of Data when they met for his inability to feel emotions. But, we've all been there, haven't we. Sometimes everyone has wished they didn't feel what they feel.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Ensign

Whatever the reason, I suspect it had to be significant enough for Uhura to actually express herself towards Spock in a physical way (i.e. the hug).

Unless Uhura and Spock have a more casual friendship/relationship than the one we are used to whereby a hug wouldn't be out of the norm.

He seems genuinely unused to that type of contact though. So I am inclined to believe something has happened to cause Uhura to give him a comforting gesture.

Last edited by 24thcenstfan : 03-15-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Lieutenant

Attention! By order of STXI (lol STIX) Movie Secuirity: This thread has been classified as potentially spoiler. We have no choice but to heavily censor it to protect the character of Spock and the suspense of STXI Please refrain from further speculation and enjoy the movie in May!
-STXI Operative 45-736-19-1
Old 03-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraviik View Post
Attention! By order of STXI (lol STIX) Movie Secuirity: This thread has been classified as potentially spoiler. We have no choice but to heavily censor it to protect the character of Spock and the suspense of STXI Please refrain from further speculation and enjoy the movie in May!

-STXI Operative 45-736-19-1
I eat censors for breakfast so keep it buddy, just keep it up.