The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek XI...toys and kids?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Actually, Star Trek The Motion Picture was rated "G" (even to my surprise) back in 1979. It was retro-rated to PG with the release of the Special Director's Edition on VHS and DVD in 2000.
My bad. But yeah, that was 1979... The standards for violence having evolved the way they did, that movie was bound to be the only one with that rating. And someone mentioned the director's cut was PG? Well, there ya go.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Lieutenant

I'll confess that a few months ago I was watching Nemesis, and she sat and watched with. The only scene that was really questionable was the Schinson mind rape scene (which I skipped over) and then the death scene of Schinzon.. She loved the movie tho, and I was amazed at how in tune she was. For example, when Schinzon was first introduced and he spoke, my daughter cocked her head and said "He looks like the captain guy only younger"..and I had told her nothing of the plot...
When the Enterprise rammed the Scimitar and a few minutes later pulled away, she looks at the damage and says "Look..the Enterprise got hurt!"
My fav...after the front wall of the bridge was destroyed and the emergency force field came on, she asked me "If there's no air in space, how can they breathe with that big hole in the wall??" I started off by reminding her this was all make believe and that they are just acting and in a building not in space. I get an exasperated *sigh* "I KNOW that....but on here (the TV) how can the people on the pretend ship breathe??" lol....I told her a forcefield "oohhh"

I told her today about Burger King Trek toys, and she was excited...
Old 03-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen View Post
I will watch the movie first, and then decide to take her...but i'm afraid she might not get to see it for a few years..

How about the toys?? Anyone
I think watching almost any movie before taking a child of that age is a good plan. High on our list of "most horrifying movies ever" is MONSTERS, Inc.... we didn't even think about taking our then 6 year old. After all, Disney was marketing it! It was a Pixar movie! It was rated G! While most saw a movie about cute monsters finding a cute little girl and making happiness happen for all, we saw a movie about a 2 year old girl who'd been terrorized by a horrible monster all her life; learned that the monster was real despite what her Mommy and Daddy had told her; was kidnapped by said monster, hooked to a machine which would extract her screams of terror all to make the monster happy.

Ah....happy times....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I think watching almost any movie before taking a child of that age is a good plan. High on our list of "most horrifying movies ever" is MONSTERS, Inc.... we didn't even think about taking our then 6 year old. After all, Disney was marketing it! It was a Pixar movie! It was rated G! While most saw a movie about cute monsters finding a cute little girl and making happiness happen for all, we saw a movie about a 2 year old girl who'd been terrorized by a horrible monster all her life; learned that the monster was real despite what her Mommy and Daddy had told her; was kidnapped by said monster, hooked to a machine which would extract her screams of terror all to make the monster happy.

Ah....happy times....
She wasnt kidnapped and what machine, to me the kid was the most demented thing in the moive, I mean of God she was fearless...
Old 03-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I'll confess that a few months ago I was watching Nemesis, and she sat and watched with. The only scene that was really questionable was the Schinson mind rape scene (which I skipped over) and then the death scene of Schinzon.. She loved the movie tho, and I was amazed at how in tune she was. For example, when Schinzon was first introduced and he spoke, my daughter cocked her head and said "He looks like the captain guy only younger"..and I had told her nothing of the plot...
When the Enterprise rammed the Scimitar and a few minutes later pulled away, she looks at the damage and says "Look..the Enterprise got hurt!"
My fav...after the front wall of the bridge was destroyed and the emergency force field came on, she asked me "If there's no air in space, how can they breathe with that big hole in the wall??" I started off by reminding her this was all make believe and that they are just acting and in a building not in space. I get an exasperated *sigh* "I KNOW that....but on here (the TV) how can the people on the pretend ship breathe??" lol....I told her a forcefield "oohhh"

I told her today about Burger King Trek toys, and she was excited...
I think you have a winner of a little girl there!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post

Ah....happy times....
..... Ya know Liz...over the last year, there's been a time or two I just wasn't sure about your sense of humor...I'll admit this is one...are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I think you have a winner of a little girl there!
Thanks...I think so myself.. She can be pretty thoughtful at times. She likes "the girl captain" (janeway) and was excited to see her in Nemesis. (with so many main characters she doesn't remember all their names).
Old 03-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

Thanks...I think so myself.. She can be pretty thoughtful at times. She likes "the girl captain" (janeway) and was excited to see her in Nemesis. (with so many main characters she doesn't remember all their names).

It WON'T be long, trust me.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Captain

Cool

Looks like Paramount is using the power of the Schwartz for STXI...

"Moichendising!!!"

Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Looks like Paramount is using the power of the Schwartz for STXI...

"Moichendising!!!"

Star Trek 'da T-shoit. Star Trek 'da Breakfast Cereal.
Star Trek 'da Flametrowa' (kids love dat one)
Star Trek 'da Doll. (high pitched voice) "Live Lonnngg and Prospah'"! Adorable!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffs79 View Post
Sounds like a great idea. I'd do the same if I had kids.
I'm not really worried about the bed scene (which will most likely be like the one in Nemesis, minus the Reman/Shinzon rape.)

I'm rather worried about Nero when it comes to this, I keep wondering if he'll be similar to the Joker in TDK (very troubled and crazy, and yet amazing.) and after the complaints parents had about the Joker, I can't help but wonder if Nero will be next on the hit list
Any parent who takes their child to a movie like TDK should be slapped. I mean, they don't rate it PG-13 "for intense sequences of violence and some menace" fer nothing! Just because its a comic book character doesn't mean it is for little kids. (take Watchmen for instance....yikes) Parents need to look at ratings AND WHAT THE MOVIE IS RATED FOR, then decide to take a child or not. Chances are if it is PG-13, then a child shouldn't be seeing it anyways.