The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Star Trek XI...toys and kids?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Lieutenant

Default Star Trek XI...toys and kids?

I haven't been able to find out yet, has the movie been rated? My search didn't turn it up...
The press releases say that PLaymates will be releasing the "first wave" or toys in march and April.... Sweeeet. But no dates have been (that I can find) mentioned. Anyone here know? And, what about the Burger King promo? When will that start and what toys will they have? If they are decent, my daughter and I will be geekin' at BK..

On a related note...my daughter is 6, and surprised me the other day with this little gem...we have for the 3 of us movie passes to the local theater. Wife and I are DEF. seeing Trek, but were going to use the passes to see Ice Age 3 with our daughter. She likes the Trek series' when I watch them, especial "the one with the girl captain..." Anyways, when my wife commented about Ice Age, daughter says "I don't really want to see that. i really wanna go see Star Trek"... Being a fan from about the same age, I was a little touched by that.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Commander

Yes, the movie has been rated R.

I joke.
Actually, it's not rated, but JJ is targeting PG-13
Old 03-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen View Post
I haven't been able to find out yet, has the movie been rated? My search didn't turn it up...
The press releases say that PLaymates will be releasing the "first wave" or toys in march and April.... Sweeeet. But no dates have been (that I can find) mentioned. Anyone here know? And, what about the Burger King promo? When will that start and what toys will they have? If they are decent, my daughter and I will be geekin' at BK..

On a related note...my daughter is 6, and surprised me the other day with this little gem...we have for the 3 of us movie passes to the local theater. Wife and I are DEF. seeing Trek, but were going to use the passes to see Ice Age 3 with our daughter. She likes the Trek series' when I watch them, especial "the one with the girl captain..." Anyways, when my wife commented about Ice Age, daughter says "I don't really want to see that. i really wanna go see Star Trek"... Being a fan from about the same age, I was a little touched by that.
I highly doubt that the movie will be rated G. Star Trek never is, even with the TV series. It's more likely to get a PG or a PG-13. Actually, probably PG-13 considering that scene of Kirk bedding that Orion chick. Even if there's not much nudity there, it still implies a sexual act so this is definitely not for a 6-year old.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Lieutenant

Yeah, and that's what I was afraid of. Except for a scene or two in the last few movies, overall not too much I am afraid of her seeing in Trek. Especially the first 6 movies, there was nothing of real shock value. I will watch the movie first, and then decide to take her...but i'm afraid she might not get to see it for a few years..

How about the toys?? Anyone
Old 03-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Lieutenant

I know what you mean, my mom didn't let me see The Undiscovered Country till I was 14 because of the Klingon blood scene
Old 03-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
I highly doubt that the movie will be rated G. Star Trek never is, even with the TV series. It's more likely to get a PG or a PG-13. Actually, probably PG-13 considering that scene of Kirk bedding that Orion chick. Even if there's not much nudity there, it still implies a sexual act so this is definitely not for a 6-year old.
TMP was rated G.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1jamest View Post
TMP was rated G.
But the DVD I have is PG?
Did they re-rate it at any point?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Lieutenant

I checked and it was originally released as G then later rerated to PG due to the following scene.

Quote:
when the transporters on the Enterprise suffer a catastrophic malfunction. The two characters being transported distort into grotesque shapes and scream in agony as they vanish.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
Actually, Star Trek The Motion Picture was rated "G" (even to my surprise) back in 1979. It was retro-rated to PG with the release of the Special Director's Edition on VHS and DVD in 2000.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen View Post
Yeah, and that's what I was afraid of. Except for a scene or two in the last few movies, overall not too much I am afraid of her seeing in Trek. Especially the first 6 movies, there was nothing of real shock value. I will watch the movie first, and then decide to take her...but i'm afraid she might not get to see it for a few years..

How about the toys?? Anyone
Sounds like a great idea. I'd do the same if I had kids.
I'm not really worried about the bed scene (which will most likely be like the one in Nemesis, minus the Reman/Shinzon rape.)

I'm rather worried about Nero when it comes to this, I keep wondering if he'll be similar to the Joker in TDK (very troubled and crazy, and yet amazing.) and after the complaints parents had about the Joker, I can't help but wonder if Nero will be next on the hit list