The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > "Lost" style flashbacks in movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Lieutenant

Default "Lost" style flashbacks in movie

I just got thinking about it...we have a young JTK grabbing into the ground to avoid going over a cliff after dumping a corvette, and we have an older JTK landing on Nero's rig and trying not to fall off because of his shoot. His hand gripping is not only very similar, it looks identical.

Any thoughts to the idea that this is where the corvette chase seen will come in, or maybe be referenced to via flashback?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Captain

I have no idea either, how the script should get all this different events and different time settings working together in an entertaining and shortwhile way without flash backs. So, yes, I also believe we will get to see a "Lost" style flash back story telling.

The only other possibility where time jumps. I just have no clue how every time period could be thrilling on its own, before we jump further into the future. In such a way of telling the story we would see how Kirk is born, have a time jump, see his childhood and Spocks childhood, next jump, we see Kirk entering Starfleet and so on and so on.

So, yeah, either flash backs (most likely) or a lot of time jumps.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I put the 2 together as well but as for a flash back on it, that wasn't a thought. Maybe, but the seen as young JTK looks like there is more to it then what the preview showed us, and I'm leading toward that being an actual part at the beginning of the movie. could be wrong, but I would think if it were a flash back, he wouldn't have had to say who he was in that seen. He may flash back to just a part of that, but I doubt all of it.

my lug nuts require more torque than your honda puts out
Old 03-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Fleet Admiral

Somehow I think that flashbacks would only lend confusion to a story which already goes back in time structurally. I think the devices serve roughly the same purpose in storytelling, and so including them both might be redundant as well as confusing... especially for an "entry level" film to a new audience.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Captain

I have not seen Lost (waiting for time to watch it from the beginning), but I know JJ likes to use that flash-forward-flash-back stuff in his work.

I figured he might do that with this movie. I kind of hope so, because it may make it more interesting than a storyline that follows "real time".

Some of my favorite Trek episodes are the ones that are shown like this. For example, TNG's "Cause & Effect", where we are immediately thrown into the scene of the 1701-D being destroyed....those are the ones that make you sit up and pay attention!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:34 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I dont mind the flash backs / forewards but please oh please DO NOT use the 'lost sound' when doing it! That would possibly be the lamest thing ever!

I also agree that seeing as this film is ready messing with time to have other time line sequences would just be like brain overload and you woundnt enjoy the film.