The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Wow. Star Trek-Phase II (New Voyages) James Cawley thinks the new Enterprise is UGLY.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
If people pay me a favour, I usually return it at the first chance. If someone is more than gracious to you and includes you in his project, you should be inclusive as well. Tells you enough about Mr.Abrams and Mr.Cawley and about whom you'd prefer to have a beer with.
He tells the truth and his opinion even if you don't like it.
That's a unique individual. They often can't be bought, they have integrity, They aren't "Yes Men", Brown-nozers, or sycophants. Where others will sell out they hold they're ground.

He was gratious but his gratitude does not influence his perception.
Believe it or not, that is the definition of objective.
That is a true rare trait in a world where praise is for sale at the right price wether you like it or not.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

I never said that free speech is supposed to be forbidden when you work for someone. But actually that is not the case here, Cawley is not a paid actor but was graciously given a cameo by Mr.Abrams after he visited the sets ... and all Mr.Cawley cares about is that fewer people might be interested after the movie to see him playing Kirk. No good dead ever goes unpunished.

But what do I care about who of them is a nice guy and who is a jerk, after all only their work matters.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Well all i can say is this, if he thinks the new enterprise is ugly, when did Captain Kirk look like a failed Elvis Tribute act? Thats all i have to say to Cawley never liked his take on trek anyway
Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Vice Admiral

Nope. Cawley doesn't look like Kirk. But that's okay. He and his crew are using their own time and money to produce episodes of TOS that are actually honest tributes to TOS. Same uniforms, sets, Enterprise, etc. I was a little upset with Mr. Cawley at first when he changed his tune aboout the new movie when JJ gave him a cameo. At first he didn't like the ship, bridge, or anything. Then JJ gave him the cameo and all of a sudden he was gaga about the whole thing. Now that the movie is done, he is free to express his opinion again. I think that may be just a teeny bit hypocritical, but he still gave high praise to JJ and the crew he worked with. He just said that the Abramsprise was ugly. He is by far not alone in that opinion. He also said he liked the bridge, but that it did not belong in a TOS movie, or something to that effect. I personally have thoroughly enjoyed the New Voyages episodes. Especially "World Enough And Time". That one was great. "To Serve All My Days" was also very good, even though Chekov died (obviously not canon). Either way, Cawley has the right to express his opinion. And I don't think it's fair to call him a jerk just because of that.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I never said that free speech is supposed to be forbidden when you work for someone. But actually that is not the case here, Cawley is not a paid actor but was graciously given a cameo by Mr.Abrams after he visited the sets ... and all Mr.Cawley cares about is that fewer people might be interested after the movie to see him playing Kirk. No good dead ever goes unpunished.

But what do I care about who of them is a nice guy and who is a jerk, after all only their work matters.
I was talking about promoting. Even Shatner gave a scripted approval of the new ship but what does he know? He's not exactly discriminating.

I didn't read the same intent as you did on Cawley's post. I consider them seperate issues dealing with economy and perception.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
And I don't think it's fair to call him a jerk just because of that.
For the third time, I know a jerk when I see one. If someone pays me a favour, I pay him back when I can, if someone is as gracious as Mr.Abrams was to Mr.Cawley, I expect that guy to not only think about the future of his palying-Kirk thing but be as inclusive as JJA was to him, i.e. to accept and propagate that several Trek versions can peacefully coexist.
All this has nothing to do with his opinion about the ship.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I was talking about promoting. Even Shatner gave a scripted approval of the new ship but what does he know? He's not exactly discriminating.

I didn't read the same intent as you did on Cawley's post. I consider them seperate issues dealing with economy and perception.
I did not comment on his opinion concerning the ship but his fear that his production might become less popular. So he seems to only care about being famous, or rather moderate famous among Trekkers yet little about inclusiveness.

As he did not get money for a cameo and as his production is a non-profit thing, economic interests play no role.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Nope. Cawley doesn't look like Kirk. But that's okay. He and his crew are using their own time and money to produce episodes of TOS that are actually honest tributes to TOS. Same uniforms, sets, Enterprise, etc. I was a little upset with Mr. Cawley at first when he changed his tune aboout the new movie when JJ gave him a cameo. At first he didn't like the ship, bridge, or anything. Then JJ gave him the cameo and all of a sudden he was gaga about the whole thing. Now that the movie is done, he is free to express his opinion again. I think that may be just a teeny bit hypocritical, but he still gave high praise to JJ and the crew he worked with. He just said that the Abramsprise was ugly. He is by far not alone in that opinion. He also said he liked the bridge, but that it did not belong in a TOS movie, or something to that effect. I personally have thoroughly enjoyed the New Voyages episodes. Especially "World Enough And Time". That one was great. "To Serve All My Days" was also very good, even though Chekov died (obviously not canon). Either way, Cawley has the right to express his opinion. And I don't think it's fair to call him a jerk just because of that.
I don't mind the New Voyages/Phase II stuff, but honestly the new movie and everything I've seen of it thus far looks light years ahead of what Cawley has done. He can express his opinion, but it had no weight with me.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Vice Admiral

Of course it does. It was done on a $150 million buck budget. Cawley and his crew work in their own time with their own money. No comparison. But with New Voyages, you actually get a continuation of TOS that actually looks like TOS. That's what I love about it.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Fleet Admiral

That's all fine and good, but the old look would have been terrible on the big screen, therefore I'm glad Abrams updated everything.