The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > canon fubar ranting and such…
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't know what experiences some of you have had, but I just don't see much fan disruption at film screenings. There may be the occasional cell phone reader or talker, but (to answer the question above) this is not allowed or condoned in US theaters either, nor is it limited to 'fans' either. If anyone is abusing audience considerations, they will first be asked to stop and if they don't, management will remove them.

On the other hand, I think audiences have actually learned better phone etiquette in recent years as the novelty has warn off and reminders appear before the films/previews start. People who forget to silence their devices can be seen doing so during such reminders. I don't know if this is because I live in a media town and audiences are more "responsible" about such things, but I go to quite a few first showings and have had no such problems lately at all.

Fans or audiences interacting with the film have also not been a problem, and in the LA area, there are no shortage here of fans who will dress up in costumes or emblazoned with their fandom. But mostly these are the people who quickly shut up once the film starts, mainly because they don't want to ruin their own first experience, let alone anyone else's.

I have no problem with people occasionally whooping, cheering or clapping if it's part of the moment in the film. I'd much rather an audience enjoy the story than sit like stones -- responsible enthusiasm lends to the communal nature of moviegoing, something you can't experience on your couch with a DVD.

I don't have a problem with fans in costumes because they don't embarrass me -- who am I to judge how much one can demonstrate their fandom in public, especially at a movie geared toward attracting and entertaining such fans? They don't judge me as any less of a fan for not dressing up. Live and let enjoy.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I don't know what experiences some of you have had, but I just don't see much fan disruption at film screenings. There may be the occasional cell phone reader or talker, but (to answer the question above) this is not allowed or condoned in US theaters either, nor is it limited to 'fans' either. If anyone is abusing audience considerations, they will first be asked to stop and if they don't, management will remove them.

On the other hand, I think audiences have actually learned better phone etiquette in recent years as the novelty has warn off and reminders appear before the films/previews start. People who forget to silence their devices can be seen doing so during such reminders. I don't know if this is because I live in a media town and audiences are more "responsible" about such things, but I go to quite a few first showings and have had no such problems lately at all.

Fans or audiences interacting with the film have also not been a problem, and in the LA area, there are no shortage here of fans who will dress up in costumes or emblazoned with their fandom. But mostly these are the people who quickly shut up once the film starts, mainly because they don't want to ruin their own first experience, let alone anyone else's.

I have no problem with people occasionally whooping, cheering or clapping if it's part of the moment in the film. I'd much rather an audience enjoy the story than sit like stones -- responsible enthusiasm lends to the communal nature of moviegoing, something you can't experience on your couch with a DVD.

I don't have a problem with fans in costumes because they don't embarrass me -- who am I to judge how much one can demonstrate their fandom in public, especially at a movie geared toward attracting and entertaining such fans? They don't judge me as any less of a fan for not dressing up. Live and let enjoy.
Indeed good points, Mission.

No, I don't mind seeing fans in their uniforms at premiere showings. (Heck, even at The Clone Wars opening night, there were a few folks who turned out in Jedi regalia, and Master Works lightsabers.) But they didn't bother anyone, and as soon as the house lights dimmed, the lightsabers turned off.

As long as they don't ruin the experience by doing crazy things during the film, which I doubt any will really do. They want to enjoy the movie as much as the average movie goer.

LOL! Of course, there is a twist on an old saying as regards bees.

TREKKIES-- If they don't bother you...you won't have to bother them.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Vice Admiral

Disruptive behavior is disruptive behavior, no matter what a person is wearing. How is a guy in a Trek uniform disruptive? If the same guy starts screaming or hollering at every little thing, then that is disruptive. I don't see a problem with cheering or clapping when your favorite character is shown or you see the Enterprise onscreen for the first time, or when you "get" something the non-fan does not (I'm not a stuffy damned vulcan!).

I also don't know where this "trekkies are the worst" mindset came from. I think the two "Trekkies" movies may have had something to do with it, but around here, Star Wars and LOTR had more costumed folk make their way to opening night.

Canon "fubar"? This is NOT a new topic. of course some people prefer some things remain more like the original, others like change that is more current with today's technology, but how do canon arguments effect a crowd at a theater? I think that is a stretch to believe that an "uber fan" will scream "that's NOT canon!" while in the middle of watching the movie. Costumed or not, I'd tell the jerk to shut up and sit down before he really pisses me off!
Old 03-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
No, I don't mind seeing fans in their uniforms at premiere showings. (Heck, even at The Clone Wars opening night, there were a few folks who turned out in Jedi regalia, and Master Works lightsabers.) But they didn't bother anyone, and as soon as the house lights dimmed, the lightsabers turned off.

As long as they don't ruin the experience by doing crazy things during the film, which I doubt any will really do. They want to enjoy the movie as much as the average movie goer.

Agreed completely!
Old 03-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
I don't know what experiences some of you have had, but I just don't see much fan disruption at film screenings. There may be the occasional cell phone reader or talker, but (to answer the question above) this is not allowed or condoned in US theaters either, nor is it limited to 'fans' either. If anyone is abusing audience considerations, they will first be asked to stop and if they don't, management will remove them..
Yep, I have NEVER had problems from fans while watching a movie in the theater. In Fact, fans tend to be the quite ones that are paying close attention to the movie! (in my experience anyway). I have had more problems with groups of young teeenagers that have no adult supervision. I've seen and heard these groups talk, laugh, giggle, text, use make phone calls, all while not paying one red cent on attention the movie. I'm not a very passive person, so I have told these groups to shut up or get out, or deal with me when the movie is over. It's worked everytime.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:

I have no problem with the costumes as I said, and I enjoy movies better when the “whole” crowd is involved like laughing, and ewww’s and ahhh’s. The only point I’m trying to make is the disruptive chattering during the movie and that always happens where I’m from. It gets old. A person could care less how bad he smells, that’s his deal, but when he sits next to someone else for 2 hours, he better be concerned what others think of him…it’s called common courtesy, take a damn shower. The gang of people I will be going with are not Trekkies have not ever watched trek before, and they are decent people, but they will not hesitate to embarrass someone for being overly STUPID and annoying during the movie. I didn’t want to have to go here, but some, not all, but some people take it too far with the geekyness. For the love of God, be decent. Every trek fan has a right to express themselves, but they don’t have the right to act as they would at home, being a trek fan doesn’t make you higher or lower than the non trek fan, you don’t own the theater. And as for ALL trek fans being a bit nerdy, speak for yourself, I like watching Trek, I don’t like acting as if the crap is real, I don’t want to learn languages, I don’t care how life like someone’s Vulcan ears are, that stuff turns my stomach. If that is what you like, have at it good sir’s, I won’t make you feel like a dumb @$$, but if you talk over my movie, I’ll point you out and probably keep throwing pop corn at you till you start crying, because those nerdy ones will be too scared to get up and say anything. And the ones that do will have to deal with everyone pointing them out about being disturbing. You want non trek fans to respect you, well respect them and all will go well, act stupid, and I’m sorry if that coke you were holding leaves a permanent stain in your favorite underoos. I know, I started acting like a prick on this post, but I swear some people just don't get it. Just be COOL!

my lug nuts require more torque than your honda puts out

Last edited by Mister2 : 03-12-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister2 View Post
The only point I’m trying to make is the disruptive chattering during the movie and that always happens where I’m from. It gets old.
Then make this an issue with your theater manager if it's happening, since that's the only way it will get solved. Such behavior would be wrong and problematic with any film or film audience, and it's best to nip it in the bud early if you want to enjoy the rest of the film.

You can't stop some people from being jerks, nor can you stop them from buying movie tickets. But you can stop them from ruining everyone else's movie experience, and any theater manager will throw out a couple people instead of risking the wrath of an entire audience.

Maybe such ejections will start educating your local audience pool on theater etiquette? Certainly doing nothing to stop disruptions won't teach them a thing. Good luck!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Vice Admiral

Mister 2, you are correct. This totally DESTROYS TREK!
Here Is My Message To You All Costume wearers:

dont wear your costumes, or any of that crap. Don't bring in phasers, or model; Enterprises. I can enjoy a Batman ovie without a Robin costume on. I can watch a Trek movie without getting out my costumes. You can too. I will look like a normal person. i wont have any "Trek Bling" On.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post

dont wear your costumes, or any of that crap. Don't bring in phasers, or model; Enterprises. I can enjoy a Batman ovie without a Robin costume on. I can watch a Trek movie without getting out my costumes. You can too. I will look like a normal person. i wont have any "Trek Bling" On.
Tomacat, There is NOTHINg wrong with costumes, or phasers, or any of the other ways fans show their loyalty or "fandom". Even Mister2 has no problem with them. The problem is disruptive behavior. It sounds like Mister2 and I have alot in common when it comes to dealing with problematic audience members in a theater. I will look like a normal person when I go see this movie, but if I come across a fan that is in costume I will not hold it against the person.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post

That had nothing to do with my message, If people want to wear their gear...by all means do. Please read what people write before responding.

my lug nuts require more torque than your honda puts out