The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > canon fubar ranting and such…
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2009, 05:36 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_scotland88 View Post
whats canon fubar?...sorry brain is half asleep and I dont think Ive come across this term before.

I dont understand poeple that woopd and cheer at movies, it just doesn't happen in Britain...well I know it doesn't happen in scotland. The only sort of loud noises from the audience to do with the film are:
laughter
gasping in fear
possibly screaming, but see gasping
and crying

None of this cheering, and woooping and shouting and telling the characters what to do etc.
You are so lucky my friend.

my lug nuts require more torque than your honda puts out
Old 03-12-2009, 05:38 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by R23 View Post
I agree with what your saying Mister2 although Ive never personally seen anything like that happen. Im quite a big trek fan and I do like things being canon and consistant but im not the level of those uber fans who dress up, go to every trek event and, as you said, sometimes scare people away from the cinema! Thats why people get the impression that Star Trek is geeky. Yeah Galaxy Quest is a good example.

This film does have the opportunity to make trek more mainstream and get new people into the franchise and fans should be good ambassadors by not acting stereotypical way. I would be damn pissed off if people acted like that in a cinema, everyone should just watch the film and have an opinion about it later.
AMEN!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Rear Admiral

I have to agee with all the afore mentioned...I consider myself a hopeless uber Trek addict...yet I have no intention of going to the theaters dressed in Starfleets Finest. (I did that at my wedding. That was enough for me.) I have seen all 10 films in the theaters and not once have I "dressed-up" for the occation. I have nothing against those who do, except when they become disruptive and spoil the movie going experience. Yet there is no way to prevent this except not to actually go on opening night and avoid all the shenanegans of some of our more enthusiastic fans.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Midshipman

Default Deal with it

The film might be rubbish and not deserving of a sequel - we don't know yet, it hasn't been released.

Also, if people in the cinema are making noise, get the staff to throw them out - in the UK making noise in the cinema is not allowed, maybe it's different in the US.

Although I have to admit, when I went to see Insurrection I shouted out 'space car!' in derision of the very poor appearance of a futuristic 'car' coming out of a shuttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
The bad news: Even if 'Star Trek' becomes the next Spider-Man (I'd say forget about Batman), it will never take the nerdiness out of Star Trek. In fact, that nerdiness may thrive a dozen fold, in direct proportion to the success of this movie (now there's a scary thought). The more popular Star Trek (seems to) become because of 'Star Trek', the more acceptable that kind of obsessive behavior will seem from the point of view of the obsessives.
-That's fine by me.

I would ask all you 'cooler than thou' fans to take a chill-pill yourselves.

You like Star Trek.

Star Trek is nerdy.

Suck it up.

As long as you enjoy Star Trek - as long as the obsessives enjoy Trek, who cares what others think.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

I remember that the Star Trek fan club I belonged to wanted to host premiere night at the opening night of First Contact. (We got to see the movie for free....somehow..LOL....so I saw it twice that night. )

The X.O. of the club bounced a speech off of me, that he wanted to give before the movie goers at each showing of the film for that night. I cocked an eyebrow, and advised him against it. I said: "Listen, dude. These folks are here simply to see a movie. We don't need to scare them away with our uber-geekiness."

"But this is a pretty big deal," he replied.

"Well, be it on your head." I warned him.

At the first evening showing of First Contact, there he stood, before a packed house. Just after the previews had ended, the lights came up to reveal him, and he started spouting his ill-rehearsed speech. Folks started murmuring derisively, and a couple movie-goers shouted "shut up so we can watch the movie!" He finished his speech, and the movie finally started.

At the end of the film, I said: "I hate to say I told you so, but...."

He replied..."Don't worry...won't happen again. Friggin' mundanes."

I too hope that the uber-geeks won't frighten off the potential mainstreamers that plan to see what looks to be an exciting film.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

When I go to a movie, I like to keep quite so everyone can enjoy the show. If some people prefer going to a loud theater with reactionary viewers, hopefully they can find that experience somehow. Personally I like to enjoy the film without much crowd participation. I hope Trek fans encourage the new, potential fans (by allowing them to enjoy it in their own right) and do not hinder or take away from the experience.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I remember that the Star Trek fan club I belonged to wanted to host premiere night at the opening night of First Contact. (We got to see the movie for free....somehow..LOL....so I saw it twice that night. )

The X.O. of the club bounced a speech off of me, that he wanted to give before the movie goers at each showing of the film for that night. I cocked an eyebrow, and advised him against it. I said: "Listen, dude. These folks are here simply to see a movie. We don't need to scare them away with our uber-geekiness."

"But this is a pretty big deal," he replied.

"Well, be it on your head." I warned him.

At the first evening showing of First Contact, there he stood, before a packed house. Just after the previews had ended, the lights came up to reveal him, and he started spouting his ill-rehearsed speech. Folks started murmuring derisively, and a couple movie-goers shouted "shut up so we can watch the movie!" He finished his speech, and the movie finally started.

At the end of the film, I said: "I hate to say I told you so, but...."

He replied..."Don't worry...won't happen again. Friggin' mundanes."

I too hope that the uber-geeks won't frighten off the potential mainstreamers that plan to see what looks to be an exciting film.
Dang! That was funny. Poor guy....glad that he didn't get hurt attempting a stunt like that. At $10 a pop for tickets that guy could have gotten killed here is Sacramento for that.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

If I do go on opening day, I won't care if there are people dressing up and having fun as long as they respect the moviegoers once the film starts.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
If I do go on opening day, I won't care if there are people dressing up and having fun as long as they respect the moviegoers once the film starts.
that's about all I could hope for in a nutt shell.