The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > canon fubar ranting and such…
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Red face canon fubar ranting and such…

There will probably be a lot of people get defensive for this, but I had a thought. (not always a good thing)

I understand people like to dress up in costume for trek movie openers, and love to shout out at the canon fubar’s during the show, or make it obvious to everyone in the theater that you are a true fan of trek as if trying to summon in some kind of “awww” worship from the crowd for your great uberness. (it happens, can’t say it doesn’t), but this really is a concern for me.

We have a movie that has the potential to bring in a whole new crowd of people. It would really suck if the trek locals smothered the doorway to push out would be watchers by making them feel uncomfortable about being in room full of loud and obnoxious trekkies. People don’t flip out during Batman or even Star Wars as Trekkies do. I know it will happen, but does it really have to get that bad? I’d like to hear every word spoken from the movie, not the 2 guys about to whip out phasers on each other because they don’t agree with something. It ruins the movie. That pushes people away, and doesn’t give trek its fair shake.

How I think this will affect me, and I may be wrong, but, if it happens a lot, trek may not make that much on the movie, therefore slimming down the chances of another one. Maybe I’m just paranoid, but I can see people changing their minds and watching something else.

I’m not saying no one should get involved, it is exciting, but don’t you think people could tone it down a bit and make it pleasant for everyone? I’d really like to see trek move ahead and have more entertainment in the future, and the new audience could help make that possible by keeping the seats filled.

I’m not trying to crack on anyone, or rain on anyone’s parade, but does anyone feel me on this? Maybe I’m not coming off right, but I don’t know how to explain it any other way. It’s worse than idiots who have their cell phones open during the movie. Thank god laser beams don’t light up the screen as much anymore.

my lug nuts require more torque than your honda puts out
Old 03-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Not a big issue here in Australia. But I would definitely avoid going to a theatre to see it if that were case. I'd probably wait and buy the dvd.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Interesting…the only one to respond so far, and you’re from Australia….lol, I just got finished watching the movie “Australia”. Good flick.

my lug nuts require more torque than your honda puts out
Old 03-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Ensign

I agree with you, it's one thing to keep it fun but", it's another thing to behave as you described in your post. Lets ALL enjoy the movie
Old 03-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Ensign

Can't agree more. Personally, that behavior is what gets us Trekkie's labeled as weirdos. I'll take it one step further and say those same individuals take this stuff WAY too seriously on internet forums, as well.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Yeah. The movie Galaxy Quest sums it up nicely. Some of the fans scenes make me cringe.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-12-2009, 02:21 AM
Commander

I'm totally feeling you here, man.

Good news: I don't think for a second the movie will fail on account of the fans. 'Star Trek' will bring in a whole new crowd of people, just by virtue of the fact that the studio's actually trying this time to do just that.

Now whether it brings in enough people to pay for itself, is another matter. Since I think the movie already costs more in production than any prior Star Trek has even made at the box office. We're about to find out if Star Trek ever can be made mainstream. If it doesn't happen after spending this much money, than Star Trek is probably over. But it won't be because of the fans.

Off topic, which is the most "popular" Star Trek with the general public as of now? Is it still IV: The Voyage Home? Or did First Contact dethrone IV? I only ask because it's kinda hard to know from WAYYYYYYYY over here where we're standing.

The bad news: Even if 'Star Trek' becomes the next Spider-Man (I'd say forget about Batman), it will never take the nerdiness out of Star Trek. In fact, that nerdiness may thrive a dozen fold, in direct proportion to the success of this movie (now there's a scary thought). The more popular Star Trek (seems to) become because of 'Star Trek', the more acceptable that kind of obsessive behavior will seem from the point of view of the obsessives.

Keep in mind that even Lord of the Rings, after three years of repeated exposure, still got stuck with the "nerd" stigma. After attracting some of the most talented cast and crew in Hollywood no less. It went on to sweep at the Academy awards that final year... but you could still hear 16-year-olds at the theater saying to their double-dates "we could see... [snicker]... Lord of the Rings"... "No! That's not even funny!"

Remember those people on the news, dressed in LOTR costumes, camped out days before each new movie? Did you know any of them? I sure didn't. Did they even account for more than 0.05% of the total fans? I personally doubt it. It didn't matter, the media still spotted them. And as you've pointed out, it will always be worse with Star Trek.

Will that stop "most people" from seeing this movie? Probably not. Seeing costumed Trekkies on the news won't change the impressions people get from the trailers and/or reviews. Most people have never actually shared a theater auditorium with dressed-up Trekkies at any of the prior movies, and they won't have the misfortune of being at the right theater to happen across it this time either.

They will, however, overhear zelous Trekkies in the theater "explaining" to their less-than-really-all-that-interested dates all about how this movie is "actually" not a prequel at all because it's set in an "alternate timeline" and what-not. (How many threads do we have going on that subject now? Over a single throw-away interview with Bob what's-his-name explaining how quantum mechanics "might" explain why some things are different? Things are different, people, because the original series has never been treated by the producers as more than 85% canon since the time of ST: The Motion Picture. I swear).

But here's the worst part of all: Even if you could, realistically, get the message "out there" to all overzelous fans to please chill just a little bit (and I don't see how that's possible)? I'm sure the media would jump on it. Trekkies Beg Their Fellow Fans to Chill: more on page 11.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:50 AM
Captain

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If I see costumed basement types at the theater, I'll keep walking.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:24 AM
Ensign

whats canon fubar?...sorry brain is half asleep and I dont think Ive come across this term before.

I dont understand poeple that woopd and cheer at movies, it just doesn't happen in Britain...well I know it doesn't happen in scotland. The only sort of loud noises from the audience to do with the film are:
laughter
gasping in fear
possibly screaming, but see gasping
and crying

None of this cheering, and woooping and shouting and telling the characters what to do etc.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:31 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I agree with what your saying Mister2 although Ive never personally seen anything like that happen. Im quite a big trek fan and I do like things being canon and consistant but im not the level of those uber fans who dress up, go to every trek event and, as you said, sometimes scare people away from the cinema! Thats why people get the impression that Star Trek is geeky. Yeah Galaxy Quest is a good example.

This film does have the opportunity to make trek more mainstream and get new people into the franchise and fans should be good ambassadors by not acting stereotypical way. I would be damn pissed off if people acted like that in a cinema, everyone should just watch the film and have an opinion about it later.

Last edited by R23 : 03-12-2009 at 05:36 AM.