The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Trek Butterfly Effect.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I understand that one could look at it and see that it looks like Star Trek. What it does not look like is the era it was supposed to be set in. We know what the TOS era looked like. I knew it would be updated. I just wasn't expecting the extent of the update that was carried out. Like I have said before, were this movie set in the "prime" timeline and JJA & co. were still contending that it would adhere to established canon without being an alternate reality, one couldn't watch this movie and then watch TOS and be expected to believe that it all takes place in the same universe. The differences in appearance and sequences of events are too pronounced for it to fit into the established continuity of existing Star Trek history. Hence the alternate timeline approach so that the changes wouldn't matter.
Yes you are right and it is not a bad thing really IMO. I have hope that this new story stimulate the original awe and wow that we once felt for TOS.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Why do they go back to the roots? Because the TOS characters are classics.
Ever saw a Japanese version of Macbeth? I did and it was fine. The settings of classics matter very little.
That's a really good point, Horatio. There have been so many updated versions of Shakespeare and, at its core, they're still the same works.

Top shelf stuff.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
I hope Abramsfly Effect will explain the radical evolution of starfleet uniforms from TOS to TMP to the TOS movies. If it does then maybe I can finally get a decent night's sleep after thirty years

But seriously the time travel in this film could be used to resolve a lot of canon inconsistencies and ultimately result in a tidier Trek universe.
That's the perfect example of why I brought up the topic.
There are larger inconsistencies with the Film that will have nothing to do with James T. Kirk. Infact they'll predate Kirk like the Kelvin, someone mentioned before the skies of vulcan being red not blue. Not to be too detailed but they are real consideration large and small if the movie is to be considered canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
What if there's no explanation? What then? Does it matter?
Yes. We have been informed that there is a "Canon Council" that Abrams passed his thoughts through first, so even if you and others wish to ignore it it doesn't mean that it's irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
Impeccable logic! (Tips hat to salute.)
I've started a new thread to get the thoughts of our fellow Trekkers about the man named Kirk. I'd be very interested to hear your insight!
Thanks, Have Trek will Travel.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
That's a really good point, Horatio. There have been so many updated versions of Shakespeare and, at its core, they're still the same works.

Top shelf stuff.

Especially in the original Klingon. Those are the best versions.

On topic, I agree that it is completely recognizable as Star Trek, and look forward to a more modern (stylistically, that is) interpretation of the Star Trek universe. I also agree that the "real" reason for these changes is to attract people ... modeling the new movie after the set designs and costume design of TOS would not be a good marketing move. Of course, Trek fans are a resilient and clever bunch, so I am sure there will be (and are already) many good theories making the discrepancies fit in the story.

All told, I can't wait!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Yes. We have been informed that there is a "Canon Council" that Abrams passed his thoughts through first, so even if you and others wish to ignore it it doesn't mean that it's irrelevant.
No, again you misunderstand.

Just because there's a "canon council" doesn't mean that there will be explanations for things like the uniforms and/or the new look of the Enterprise.

What if there's no explanation?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

Not everything is going to line up 100%. This movie is a reboot of the franchise at it's heart.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Commander

That's exactly my point, Captain. To assume that there will be a canonical explanation for all kinds of picayune things just doesn't make sense. They've re-imagined the franchise and updated the look of the future...and they had to.

That's why I'm asking "what if?" since it's entirely possible there won't be an explanation (nor should there be, IMO).
Old 03-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Rear Admiral

Eh things change. Star Trek is no different. Got my Tub 'o' Popcorn. Got my Abyss Boy sized soda-pop...(maybe even some Raisinette's if I feel like splurging.) Gonna settle into a good seat in the theatre...AND WATCH FREAKIN' STAR TREK!!!!!!!

Whew felt good to get that off my chest.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Gonna settle into a good seat in the theatre...AND WATCH FREAKIN' STAR TREK!!!!!!!

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Fleet Admiral

I always wonder why so many purists care about superficial stuff. It's not like change has never happened before, there were new ships and new uniforms in every previous new Trek incarnation.
I care more about good actors getting the characters right and a "Trekkish" story.