The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Trek Butterfly Effect.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Rear Admiral

According to this theory One small event can radically change a bigger more significant event. Therefore the "splinter" changes and occurances that we noticed in the film are to be expected. For example:

1.) Uniforms: Due to the alternate timeline changes, the person that designed the original uniforms may have been killed, chosen a different career path in Starfleet, was walking by a department store and said," Hey that looks sharp! It would make a great uniform." Maybe the Admiral's wife decided that the older uniforms are drab and designed more colorful ones? Who can say? There is an infinite amount of newly
triggered events that allow for the change in uniforms. I hope this helps certain people sleep at night.

2.) The Enterprise: The theory on this has been pretty much belted out there by us fans already. When Nero attacked there was information gained somehow to alert Starfleet that they needed to design a stronger ship. The design that they had that may have looked like the original TOS Enterprise was tabled to the back in favor of a ship that had the same general shape yet instead of slender nacelles with glowing redish Bussard collecters we now have bulkier, heavily sheilded, heavy duty nacelles. Instead of having a longer secondary hull it is more compact due to less room needed for surplus equipment like aux. science labs, and such. It is built primarilly for countering a ship of advanced technology with a distant secondary mission of exploration. Again who knows? Until...(and I hesitate to use this word ) "canon" is established. Al we have is a working theory.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Krath View Post
Scuttlebut says that they are spiffing everything up to gain a newer fan base. Honestly, it is wierd, and differant, but what the hell, go through with it, you never know whether it will be cool or not.
I'm of the 'wait and see' mindset as well. I'm constantly amused though at how many folks already know its not. Cool, that is.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
There is an infinite amount of newly
triggered events that allow for the change in uniforms. I hope this helps certain people sleep at night
It helps but the real restive sleep won't come until I get the combination to that damned safe!

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
It helps but the real restive sleep won't come until I get the combination to that damned safe!
LMAO...nice!
Old 03-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
LOL! Let me know when you do get it.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
Why?

This is an updating of the story using 21st century tools. Why shouldn't it look somewhat different?--the definition of "futuristic" has changed.
Exactly. 21st century tools could have been used to update the TOS universe to make it thouroughly modern without changing it so radically as to make it almost unrecognizable as Star Trek as we used to know it.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Commander

I'm sorry, but I think the notion that it's "unrecognizable as Star Trek as we used to know it" is absurd.

21st century were used to make it look futuristic and "thoroughly modern." The bar by how that's measured has changed over 40 years.

The set or ship may not be the same, but it's absolutely recognizable as Star Trek.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
I'm sorry, but I think the notion that it's "unrecognizable as Star Trek as we used to know it" is absurd.

21st century were used to make it look futuristic and "thoroughly modern." The bar by how that's measured has changed over 40 years.

The set or ship may not be the same, but it's absolutely recognizable as Star Trek.
Right on my man!!!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Vice Admiral

I understand that one could look at it and see that it looks like Star Trek. What it does not look like is the era it was supposed to be set in. We know what the TOS era looked like. I knew it would be updated. I just wasn't expecting the extent of the update that was carried out. Like I have said before, were this movie set in the "prime" timeline and JJA & co. were still contending that it would adhere to established canon without being an alternate reality, one couldn't watch this movie and then watch TOS and be expected to believe that it all takes place in the same universe. The differences in appearance and sequences of events are too pronounced for it to fit into the established continuity of existing Star Trek history. Hence the alternate timeline approach so that the changes wouldn't matter.