The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The Trek Butterfly Effect.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default The Trek Butterfly Effect.

The Butterfly Effect (the phenomenon whereby a small change at one place in a complex system can have large effects elsewhere, e.g., a butterfly flapping its wings in Rio de Janeiro might change the weather in Chicago)

As Trek fans we're familar with this premise as often as it has entertained time travel. Enterprise episodes have ceased to exist because of one action or entire realities pop up out of no where because of change (large or small in the past)

From what I've gathered about the film JJ Abrams has produced, Nero goes into the past to destroy the great man that is James T. Kirk. As a result everything we see in this movie is an alternative time line. The question is. How does changing Kirk's past change the design of Star Fleet uniforms? How does changining Kirk's past change the design of Federation ships? What is the common denominator between Kirk and all the changes we are seeing?

This is under the premise that the Movie is indeed canon.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:55 AM
Rear Admiral

I hope Abramsfly Effect will explain the radical evolution of starfleet uniforms from TOS to TMP to the TOS movies. If it does then maybe I can finally get a decent night's sleep after thirty years

But seriously the time travel in this film could be used to resolve a lot of canon inconsistencies and ultimately result in a tidier Trek universe.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-11-2009, 05:18 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

as nero is going back to open his can of Revenge flavour Whoopass in a time before TOS then the changes can be easily explained away, nero attacks the kelvin 18 odd years before Kirk goes near Enterprise, so starfleet will have seen this big mofo of a ship and changed design strategy to make starships that might actually be able to fight it...thats what im telling myself anyway
Old 03-11-2009, 05:39 AM
Midshipman

Scuttlebut says that they are spiffing everything up to gain a newer fan base. Honestly, it is wierd, and differant, but what the hell, go through with it, you never know whether it will be cool or not.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:04 AM
Commander

What if there's no explanation? What then? Does it matter?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
The Butterfly Effect (the phenomenon whereby a small change at one place in a complex system can have large effects elsewhere, e.g., a butterfly flapping its wings in Rio de Janeiro might change the weather in Chicago)

As Trek fans we're familar with this premise as often as it has entertained time travel. Enterprise episodes have ceased to exist because of one action or entire realities pop up out of no where because of change (large or small in the past)

From what I've gathered about the film JJ Abrams has produced, Nero goes into the past to destroy the great man that is James T. Kirk. As a result everything we see in this movie is an alternative time line. The question is. How does changing Kirk's past change the design of Star Fleet uniforms? How does changining Kirk's past change the design of Federation ships? What is the common denominator between Kirk and all the changes we are seeing?

This is under the premise that the Movie is indeed canon.
Impeccable logic! (Tips hat to salute.)
I've started a new thread to get the thoughts of our fellow Trekkers about the man named Kirk. I'd be very interested to hear your insight!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:21 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Real world reason: the designers don't wanna limit themselves to a 60s TV budget design.
In universe explanation: a potential one is already given, butterfly effect.
Here's a cool article that I read today regarding "design & look" of the new movie...I know it's slightly off topic, but when you mentioned budget, I had to provide this link!
http://trekmovie.com/2009/03/10/prod...-new-star-trek
Old 03-11-2009, 06:34 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post
What if there's no explanation? What then? Does it matter?
Yes.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:41 AM
Commander

Why?

This is an updating of the story using 21st century tools. Why shouldn't it look somewhat different?--the definition of "futuristic" has changed.