The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Opening day at the movies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Captain

Default Opening day at the movies

OK it is getting closer and closer to opening day! Especially with the "Countdown" comic series and all these delicious trailers and pics of the ship, I for one am getting pretty excited. I wanted to know what you normally do on opening day of a Trek movie? During the time of TWOK to Generations, my boys were at home and young so I usually let them stay home from school on the friday it opened, (if school was in), and we would go to the theater, usually at the local mall, bye tickets for two straight showings of the movie, watch the first showing really fast, come out and have pizza, go back and watch it much slower and try to take in more details. Of course, I would go back myself a few times to watch it again. Keep in mind that back then it was gonna be 6 months or more before it would come out on video, so I would get in as many times as I could. My Brother in Law, who now lives in Texas, would get together and talk about it, I guess now it will have to be via internet or phone. I have always been such a Trekkie, that it's almost like Christmas day excitement around our house, what about you? P.S. the spousal unit will go see it with me ONCE.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Lieutenant

I'm not going to see Trek XI on opening day. I will very likely wait until it has been in the theatre for quite some time and possibly is near the end of its theatre run. I may even decide to wait and purchase the DVD. Why? The last thing I want is to spend money to sit in a theatre and listen to people make comments -- good or bad -- throughout the movie. And that always happens with something like Trek.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The first 3 I didn’t get to see till it was out on tape. Number 4 I went with my parents and siblings. My dad hates Trek, but he wanted to see it because it had the Monterey Bay Aquarium in it and we had just gone recently prior to the movie. 5 I don’t remember, 6 I went with my uncles and it was packed. When 7 came out, OMG, talk about packed! And the costumes were flying and the non trekkers were dis’n hard….lol 6 I went to see by myself on a work day during the afternoon, it was quite dead. 9 was the same. 10 I went with a non trek friend, and I think he was bored. I think 7 was the only one I was so geared up to see. But nothing has ever been like this. I went to see Transformers 4 times in the first week. This Trek I will drive 200 miles to see it at the IMAX, and if it is that good, there’s no telling how many times I’ll see it in my area.

my lug nuts require more torque than your honda puts out
Old 03-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Aerwynd View Post
I'm not going to see Trek XI on opening day. I will very likely wait until it has been in the theatre for quite some time and possibly is near the end of its theatre run. I may even decide to wait and purchase the DVD. Why? The last thing I want is to spend money to sit in a theatre and listen to people make comments -- good or bad -- throughout the movie. And that always happens with something like Trek.
I understand about the people talking in a Trek film. To me thats part of the allure, knowing that other people are like you, all really being into something like Star Trek. I would go crazy if I had to wait to see a Trek film! I was in the hospital have a neck fusion surgery the day Nemesis was released. I had to wear a brace called a "halo" for 3 months after wards so I missed the entire run of it. I had to wait until the DVD came out to watch it. Another thing is in the old days, we didn't have the media we have today to talk about what we liked or disliked about a particular movie. Only had like movie magazines to keep up with it. I'm sorry you're gonna wait, but to each his own!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

I have no ritual for Trek movies. I believe I've only seen one on opening day (Nemesis). For Trek XI, I'm gonna go after work opening night. Times out perfectly because I get off at 8 on Fridays!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Lieutenant

We'll see it on opening day. My husband and I will likely have dinner at a nice restaurant before the movie. We probably won't go to a midnight showing if there is one (our biggest local theatre did that for Star Wars), but we'll definitely be there on opening night. I set that day aside soon as the date of release was announced.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think I'll bring a lightsaber on opening day, just to irk the hardcores.

(I keed....I keeeeeeeeed.)

(Or, do I?)

Nah, I just plan to go see it on opening day....probably two fisting Jack and Coke slushies.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Captain

Lol!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Admiral

I'll wait a week before I go see it.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I usually see Trek films on opening day with my sons. They will both be out of state at school this time so I won't be able to see it with them at all. I will watch it on the MEGA screen with my wife and brother after work on Friday opening day. My wife has to see it with me at least 3 times for making me go to Mamma Mia.