The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > OMG this movie is going to be a fricking hit...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Lieutenant

I know a lot of folks going to see it...I also know of an equal amount of folks at this point who aren't going to see it.

But hey, I take heart from what a co-worker of mine said, "Come on, the worst Star Trek is five times better than the best George Clooney movie."

Apparently he hates the George.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1jamest View Post
That's what my trek hating sister said to me tonight. She and some of her to cool for trek friends saw the new trailer and went nuts, their new catch phrase is "fire everthing." These 40 something clubhoppers are going nuts over Nero. When I asked about Kirk or Spock they just said "oh yea their cute too."
I was stoked about this film before...but this trailer absolutely does it for me. Some movies I'll say, "I want to go see it." When it hits the theater, however, I then say, "Meh..." (Speed Racer & Watchmen for example--even though knowing the graphic novel, I will not suggest anyone from not going to see Watchmen. In my movie-going core, however, this viewier is simply choosing to wait for it to come on DVD. That's just me.)

The last movie that had me so geeked up that I absolutely HAD to go see it in the theaters was "The Dark Knight." My journey regarding "TDK" was first deep interest, but skeptism on their choice of actor to play "The Joker." ("What? Who's this Heath Ledger character? Everyone knows that they should have selected Mark Hamill to play the Clown Prince of Crime! He's gotten so many rave reviews on his portrayal of The Joker in the {critically acclaimed} Batman: TAS that he would out do Jack Nicholson.) The more and more I read about the film, however, my interest began to build. About 1 month out from release, I was climbing the walls, ready to see the sequel to "Batman Begins"--AND ready to eat crow for doubting what Heath Ledger could bring to the character (and this was, again before I saw the film).

This trailer did it for me. I absolutely HAVE to go see this film in the theaters...That means I'd better hurry & take my baby to see "Madea Goes To Jail" so I can say, "We saw a movie you wanted to see the last time! Now, it's Daddy's turn!"

Lots of great buzz in Hollywood about this film. I am on pins and needles!
(Don't you dare make a crack on that, Captain Mouse! )
Old 03-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Lieutenant

I'll admit it, I'm skeptical...

Not about the movie, I think it will do reasonably well, I'm just skeptical over the effect that some folks believe it will have.

The way some are gushing, I think some folks believe that this film will make it "cool" to wear your "Starfleet Uniform/Costume" as everyday wear.

It won't, and if it did, I would have to resign from Trekkiehood on principle. I do not do as the masses do...for the masses get slaughtered.

I think that we'll get a bunch of movie quotes and references for a very brief while, but they'll pass into oblivion, with the exception of maybe a single great quote.

I think that Star Trek may regain the popularity it had in the sixties, the late seventies, or even in the eighties during TNG's run...but that can be fleeting and evaporate quickly.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
I'll admit it, I'm skeptical...

Not about the movie, I think it will do reasonably well, I'm just skeptical over the effect that some folks believe it will have.

The way some are gushing, I think some folks believe that this film will make it "cool" to wear your "Starfleet Uniform/Costume" as everyday wear.

It won't, and if it did, I would have to resign from Trekkiehood on principle. I do not do as the masses do...for the masses get slaughtered.

I think that we'll get a bunch of movie quotes and references for a very brief while, but they'll pass into oblivion, with the exception of maybe a single great quote.

I think that Star Trek may regain the popularity it had in the sixties, the late seventies, or even in the eighties during TNG's run...but that can be fleeting and evaporate quickly.

I'm thinking a little differenly. I'm wondering how many of these new "converts" are really going to enjoy this movie in the spirit of Trek as opposed to just thinking it's a "really cool sci-fi flick." If the film becomes as successful as it appears it might, I just hope it's for the right reasons and not because "He's really cute" or "Whoa, great explosions, Man."

Having said that, I myself am now skeptical after seeing the latest trailer. I actually fear this movie making Trek something it isn't - high drama and heroics.

Sorry.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

High drama: KHHAAANN !!!
Heroics: how often did Kirk save the universe?

Dumb action and lots of explosions did not make Nemesis a succesful movie and I seriously doubt that you put 150 million bucks in a project just to repeat a mistake.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
I'm 40 and I find Nero to be absolutely repulsive... I would gladly bed the new Kirk, though...

Ooops... Did I just say that out loud?!
Yes you did and I am telling...ooo. I am so telling you said that!....lol
Old 03-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpockette View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. My siblings never cared anything about Star Trek but after my sister saw the last trailer, she asked to go with me when we see the movie.

As soon as the new trailer came out (I think we all saw it before Watchmen), my two brothers, my father and I all traded emails simultaneously ...

"Oh my God, did you see the new trailer?"

"Do you think they will have Kirk beating the Kobayashi Maru training exercise?"

"Why do they always make the Romulans out to be such jerks?"

"Can we buy tickets yet?"

"Remember that time we rented all of TOS on VHS from Blockbuster in 1997? Can we still do that?"

I guess I come from a pretty nerdy family ...
Old 03-12-2009, 09:21 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Yes you did and I am telling...ooo. I am so telling you said that!....lol

if i were a woman i would have fell in love with pine
Old 03-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Midshipman

Well my wife is like the most anti-Scifi person you will ever meet. Shes such a Sex and the city/All my children kind of women . I let her watch the 1st & 2nd trailers and she was like bleh, but then the 3rd trailer came out and I dont know what she saw in it but shes all about going with me to see it now. I did joke with her about dressing up and got a swift kick in the shins though :P

Greyhands
Old 03-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister2 View Post
By the way, when ever I can throw a plug in about Watchmen, I do, it was horrible, save your money.
I and others disagree. I'd like to hear your thoughts on why though: http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5672