The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > J.J. Abrams and his obsession with TMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Lieutenant

I don't know if it's this thread or another one, but a possible reason Abrams is using a design that's closer to TMP than TOS is that Paramount (via Viacom) owns only the rights to the movies, and not the TV series (which is owned by Paramount TV, via CBS). Since the two companies split in 2006, Abrams (who is producing for Viacom) may not have the legal right to use a design closer to the TOS Enterprise.

So, he may not have had a choice but to do something new.

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy

Old 03-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJones View Post
I don't know if it's this thread or another one, but a possible reason Abrams is using a design that's closer to TMP than TOS is that Paramount (via Viacom) owns only the rights to the movies, and not the TV series (which is owned by Paramount TV, via CBS). Since the two companies split in 2006, Abrams (who is producing for Viacom) may not have the legal right to use a design closer to the TOS Enterprise.

So, he may not have had a choice but to do something new.
Thank god, I wouldn't want to see that crap anyways...it was just to gay for me, and the only reason it ever looked like that because no one had vision or money back then to do better till later...IMO of course... Hey, to each his own....but that design was an atrocity in my eyes...

my lug nuts require more torque than your honda puts out

Last edited by Mister2 : 03-10-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
DING! Why don't you wait and see the film instead of assuming there's no answer? The writers are smart people - maybe they thought of it. DING!

p.s. I like the DING. It gives my post gravitas!
Haha and having a viable sound effect of some sort kind of makes the post feel like a point was made. lol

I know that JTK and Old Spock's meeting will be explained in the movie, it's just fun to kind of...have fun (for lack of better terms) with those who have such disdain for the new movie. I, for one, am SO stoked for this film, I've been studying my tech manuals and encyclopedias and everything Trek that I own just to remember what WAS so I can be ready for what WILL be...aren't sites like this FUN?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

McCoy with Russian Accent: "Vhy is any object ve don't understand alvays called a DING!"

Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
CBS would sue Viacom in a heartbeat if Viacom tried to use any design from the TV shows.
Even if that's true, what does CBS have to do with suing anyone if Abrams' ship bears similarities to the TMP Refit, since neither are television properties, which is all CBS 'owns'?

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Fordman View Post
This may sound like a dumb question, but here it is anyway. How did Spock know where to go to find a young Jim Kirk if this time line was a different one that he was in?
I don't know why this would be a stumper, seems fairly easy to speculate: Spock follows Nero who is after Kirk.

Spock doesn't need to know where to find Kirk, only Nero does. And Nero knows because Kirk's actions/whereabouts are ENTIRELY predictable right up to the point where Nero starts changing "history".

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore
CBS would sue Viacom in a heartbeat if Viacom tried to use any design from the TV shows.
Even if that's true...
It is. That's just how bad it is between the two companies.
Quote:
...what does CBS have to do with suing anyone if Abrams' ship bears similarities to the TMP Refit, since neither are television properties, which is all CBS 'owns'?
As I said before, CBS could take legal action if Viacom tried to use designs from the TV shows. The only exceptions are those designs that appeared in the movies prior to the 2006 split. Viacom can use the TMP Enterprise, but not the TOS Enterprise because it was never used in any of the movies before the split.

The best analogy to describe CBS and Viacom is that of a bitter divorced couple with Paramount divided between them as part of the settlement.