The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > J.J. Abrams and his obsession with TMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Ensign

I am just presenting this as a point of debate going off of the evidence that has been presented so far. I will make a final assessment after I have seen the movie, but I just thought this would make for good discussion based off of what we have seen of the ship design in comparison to Abrams' love for TMP and the subsequent 1701 design, not necessarily the whole premise of the movie.

Last edited by AdmiralClouatre : 03-09-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

Tom, don't jump to conclusions about the skies over Vulcan: I highly doubt the color timing was finished (or even begun) in those early trailer shots of Vulcan. That's one of the last post-production steps to be completed.

Note from the newest trailer -- no blue sky:

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Ensign

Tom, even though this is, in effect a "new" Trek, the period of the Kelvin isn't "altered universe"...this is basically about the design and tech used for the new 1701 and how JJ's love for TMP influenced the overall aesthetic of the ship. From what we know, the Kelvin period follows the time line of TOS, so how could the tech accelerate so fast in such a (allegedly) short amount of time?
Old 03-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Having all the evidence in hand is a better way to proceed along these lines.
Which, of course, totally ruins the fun of jumping to conclusions that can be used to criticise.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 03-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I understand what you're saying, but I note a point in your recent comment: Viacom and/or CBS have nothing to say about the TMP Refit design in terms of this film. Paramount still owns the movie franchise rights, and both examples are from feature films. Since both entities are subsidiaries of the same parent company, one is not going to sue the other over ship design similarities.
Actually, they would, because CBS and Viacom are not from the same parent company anymore. They split up in 2006, with each taking half of Paramount (and the Star Trek franchise) with them. As a result, CBS (which owns Paramount TV) has the rights to the original TOS Enterprise, while Viacom (which owns Paramount movies) has the rights to the TMP Enterprise.

CBS would sue Viacom in a heartbeat if Viacom tried to use any design from the TV shows. Viacom can alter the designs so they're not 100% identical, but they can't use the exact same design. The only things Viacom can use are things that appeared in the first ten films because those were "grandfathered" in before CBS and Viacom went their separate ways in 2006, with each taking half of the Star Trek franchise with them. Abrams' apparent fascination with the TMP Enterprise is likely due to it being the earliest version of the original ship he can use.

Paramount is no longer one company. It's just a trademark that Viacom and CBS share (along with Star Trek). And the sad thing is that it didn't have to be this way, but the rancor between Viacom and CBS was so bad that it was supposedly one of the reasons that Mr. Redstone split them up. Unfortunately, it's only gotten worse since then between them...
Old 03-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Ensign

Commodore...from one Flag Officer to another...

THANK YOU
Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Ensign

Ok, so back on topic, can anyone else what I am seeing? Can there also be a valid explanation that the reason why the Abramsprise looks the way it does is to avoid lawsuit with CBS/Viacom over looking too much like the TOS 1701, therefore giving us this...this...turkey that they were almost FORCED to make?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Rear Admiral

A possible "in-universe" explanation?

I have two:

1. In the new timeline, the Enterprise was built to be more of battleship than a multipurpose vessel after the events triggered by the Kelvin's destruction.

2. New technology was introduced into this new timeline from the original and changed the evolution of Federation starship designs in the 23rd-Century.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
A possible "in-universe" explanation?

I have two:

1. In the new timeline, the Enterprise was built to be more of battleship than a multipurpose vessel after the events triggered by the Kelvin's destruction.

2. New technology was introduced into this new timeline from the original and changed the evolution of Federation starship designs in the 23rd-Century.
I like where you are going with it....but about #2..wouldn't it take quite a bit of time to reverse engineer the tech that MIGHT have been brought along from the future? Seeing the battlefield damage against the 1701 kind of leads me to believe that the length of time between that tech and 1701 tech isn't that long (I know JTK was a baby when the Kelvin attack occurred, but check out the Mayflower...form your opinions and please interject!)
Old 03-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Rear Admiral

We don't know exactly when Nero showed up in this timeline or what was the first thing he did when he arrived there.

And as far as reverse engineering, it depends on the technology and how far advanced/compatible it is with current tech, IMO. It can take as long as decades or as short as a few months...