The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Launch of the Enterprise ?? (+ quick 'reboot' point)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 AM
stephenhiggins53's Avatar
stephenhiggins53 stephenhiggins53 is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 30
Default Launch of the Enterprise ?? (+ quick 'reboot' point)

Seeing as we have established that we have now an Enterprise that was built and constructed on Earth, does anyone else wonder if we'll see her actually launch direct from the surface, or will she get tractored into an orbital drydock and launched from there (like in TMP) ??

From what I've seen so far I'm willing to bet (and seriously hoping) that when she is completed she launches from the surface, if we see it happening at all on the big screen ... that really would be something special !!

And it would definitely be a great beginning for, what I feel is anyway, a simply magnificent new ship that simply looks better and better by the day ever time I see her in action.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another quick point as well in the general canon/reboot/alternate timeline debate running through every thread on this forum ...

It is more than possible for an old, long running franchise to be sucessfully relaunched to stand on it's own, still be faithfull to it's original source material and characters, and yet feature modern, up to date designs and sets with brand new effects and the latest production techniques ...

Does "Doctor Who" not spring to mind anyone ??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
starbase63's Avatar
starbase63 starbase63 is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Connecticut, USA
Posts: 1,727
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenhiggins53 View Post
Seeing as we have established that we have now an Enterprise that was built and constructed on Earth, does anyone else wonder if we'll see her actually launch direct from the surface, or will she get tractored into an orbital drydock and launched from there (like in TMP) ??

From what I've seen so far I'm willing to bet (and seriously hoping) that when she is completed she launches from the surface, if we see it happening at all on the big screen ... that really would be something special !!

And it would definitely be a great beginning for, what I feel is anyway, a simply magnificent new ship that simply looks better and better by the day ever time I see her in action.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another quick point as well in the general canon/reboot/alternate timeline debate running through every thread on this forum ...

It is more than possible for an old, long running franchise to be sucessfully relaunched to stand on it's own, still be faithfull to it's original source material and characters, and yet feature modern, up to date designs and sets with brand new effects and the latest production techniques ...

Does "Doctor Who" not spring to mind anyone ??
Doctor Who didn't reboot, it just updated. The Doctor played by Christopher Eccelston and David Tarrant is the same one played by all the previous actors...Eccleston wasn't the "1st" Doctor, he was the 9th.

In STXI, these aren't the same characters we knew in TOS (well, technically, Scotty, Spock and McCoy should be since they're born prior to the divergence)...and Doctor Who didn't go back to the same time period as "An Unearthly Child" and try to start over with someone playing William Hartnell's Doctor but with a wildly updated TARDIS...
__________________
Never keep a Vulcan waiting...
Admin, sb63's Star Trek Logs, member of the Trek Webmaster Program
STL is now also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekLogs
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,989
Default

I have no idea how they will handle the launch of the ship, but I agree that seeing it lift off from Earth's surface could be an incredible scene.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-09-2009, 11:27 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I have no idea how they will handle the launch of the ship, but I agree that seeing it lift off from Earth's surface could be an incredible scene.
I wonder how they'll handle that myself...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-09-2009, 11:49 AM
NCC-73515's Avatar
NCC-73515 NCC-73515 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
Posts: 7,225
Default

Like Star Wreck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psf1ob2H6Us
__________________


"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-09-2009, 11:54 AM
mjpeng's Avatar
mjpeng mjpeng is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 18
Default

Hopefully we will see the Enterprise launch.

With reference to Dr Who, although successful in the mainstream, it is not true to its roots. The original Dr Who episodes were much darker with good story lines, the new episodes have far too much slapstick comedy and many of the plots are just silly. Also I don’t like the way the Tardis control console looks like an old steam engine. I would rather watch the original Dr Who episodes with their poor sets any day.

I have high hopes for Star Trek however and really like what I’ve seen so far.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-09-2009, 02:06 PM
TJJones's Avatar
TJJones TJJones is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 341
Default

mjpeng, I have to respectfully disagree about the tone of the new series. The revival with Doctors Nine and Ten are much, much deeper with greater exploration into the characters themselves. Now, David Tennant's version of the Doctor is lighter then Eccleston's -- who seemed hopelessly tragic -- but the overall tone of the series is darker, compared to the three I remember best (Pertwee, Tom Baker and Davidson).
__________________
Davy Jones
Your Friendly, Neighborhood, Navy Vet!

The United States Navy: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of all Who Threaten It!

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -President John F. Kennedy


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Jim in St. Louis's Avatar
Jim in St. Louis Jim in St. Louis is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 886
Default

Maybe they will encase it in a giant Jupiter II and launch it with rockets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkru1_beXpA
__________________
jim
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Captain Pike's Avatar
Captain Pike Captain Pike is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burbank
Posts: 399
Default

The E will be seen going into orbit. Remember..., those tall shadowy massive objects off in the distance in the trailers in Iowa are docks for fleets of starships.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-09-2009, 03:33 PM
DNA-1842's Avatar
DNA-1842 DNA-1842 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpeng View Post
Hopefully we will see the Enterprise launch.

With reference to Dr Who, although successful in the mainstream, it is not true to its roots. The original Dr Who episodes were much darker with good story lines, the new episodes have far too much slapstick comedy and many of the plots are just silly. Also I don’t like the way the Tardis control console looks like an old steam engine. I would rather watch the original Dr Who episodes with their poor sets any day.

I have high hopes for Star Trek however and really like what I’ve seen so far.

This implies that all of the pre-wilderness gap plots were NOT silly! Many of the stories of the post-gap are silly when viewed from a non-fan view - but you can look at most of the pre-gap stories from the same view and come to the same conclusion.

Also, it would be unwise to take the years and years of the pre-gap and say that the plots were 'much darker' in comparison to the post-gap. We have had a piffling four years of new material! The initial years of pre-gap were not nearly as dark as the last years of pre-gap.

The reason why it seems 'lighter' nowadays is because if you get too dark it doesn't stay a family show - which is what it was in its prime!
__________________
Gronda Gronda to all Zarking Hoopy Froods! Bowties are cool.
I Am A Friend Of


(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.