The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will this Star Trek "dethrone" Star Wars?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Lady Vaako's Avatar
Lady Vaako Lady Vaako is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: William Shatner's birthplace (seriously)
Posts: 878
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
star gate is a decent show but eons behind trek-babylon 5 is better than stargate and second to star trek
You may think that Babylon 5 is superior to Stargate in terms of quality but it never reached Stargate's mainstream popularity.
__________________
Uhura - "And here I thought you were just some dumb hick who only had sex with farm animals."
Kirk -
"Well... not only..."

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Honestly, I don't mind Clone Wars and think it's better than the prequels (only because it's more of an adventure series like the original trilogy). The prequels were just so bloated with useless information and characters (Jar Jar).

As for Stargate, I can't stand the series, but I liked the original movie.

The original Clone Wars was quality redeeming stuff. This new crap and movie......no.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-09-2009, 10:38 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Original Clone Wars? Like when Luke mentioned it in the first one?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 AM
MissionTrek08's Avatar
MissionTrek08 MissionTrek08 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,562
Default

If this question is phrased in terms of pop culture, broad appeal in society, then Stargate isn't even on the map compared to SW or TREK.

TREK was a cultural phenomenon, but in a way before such fandom was a phenomenon itself. STAR WARS hit at just the right time, making fandom more 'fashionable' for lack of a better word. It had wide marketing appeal to a very young audience, while TREK still tends to appeal to older audiences.

I certainly think Abrams' film can broaden the audience and pop culture prominence of TREK, but I don't think it can rewrite history in the above regard.

I still think that only devoted fans of either franchise put much importance on the competition between or supremacy of one over the other. There are no new live action SW films in our future, so TREK can now evolve and grow on its own merits... that's a good thing.
__________________

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK


Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-09-2009, 10:44 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Well said Mission!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Original Clone Wars? Like when Luke mentioned it in the first one?
Negative.
The Original Clone Wars was a cartoon series of shorts that added up to two movies that chronical critical events right before The Revenge of the SIth.

The New Clone Wars is CGI, not animated and covers the same time period but to more detail and currently airs on Cartoon Network.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
If this question is phrased in terms of pop culture, broad appeal in society, then Stargate isn't even on the map compared to SW or TREK.

TREK was a cultural phenomenon, but in a way before such fandom was a phenomenon itself. STAR WARS hit at just the right time, making fandom more 'fashionable' for lack of a better word. It had wide marketing appeal to a very young audience, while TREK still tends to appeal to older audiences.

I certainly think Abrams' film can broaden the audience and pop culture prominence of TREK, but I don't think it can rewrite history in the above regard.

I still think that only devoted fans of either franchise put much importance on the competition between or supremacy of one over the other. There are no new live action SW films in our future, so TREK can now evolve and grow on its own merits... that's a good thing.
Spoken like a true fan.
I agree.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,990
Default

I have to admit that I like the new Clone Wars cartoon more than I thought I would.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Negative.
The Original Clone Wars was a cartoon series of shorts that added up to two movies that chronical critical events right before The Revenge of the SIth.

The New Clone Wars is CGI, not animated and covers the same time period but to more detail and currently airs on Cartoon Network.
Ah, yes. I forgot all about the minisodes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 AM
CAPTAIN MOUSE's Avatar
CAPTAIN MOUSE CAPTAIN MOUSE is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Placerville,CA
Posts: 2,564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Ah, yes. I forgot all about the minisodes.
That is okay. They are easy to forget.
__________________
CAN YOU CATCH SECOND HAND STUPIDITY? OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WATER HERE? - JEFF DUNHAM
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.