The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Paramount bolding going where no Trek has gone before
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Paramount bolding going where no Trek has gone before

In retrospect of the 1960’s Star Trek phenomenon, I can see why, in my own opinion, it became something of a geeky nerd thing. No one had a computer back then, the internet wouldn’t be a house hold name until 30 years later and aside from it being a Sci-Fi TV series, it was rather techy sounding and cheap graphics as the common person would loose interest real quick. Paramount, until late, had never put out enough money to put together something spectacular where anyone, Trek fan or not, could enjoy it. Add the latest special effects, throw in some younger sexy actors, speed up the action, opposed to the boring phaser beam, and you just might have a movie of epic proportions. Devoted Star Wars fans and Trek naysayers of the past just may come to see this movie. In fact, I’m positive they will. The latest trailer showed me more in 2 minutes then what Star Wars offered in its last 3 movies. If it is the same as I am thinking, the last 2 batman movies were a huge hit, IMO, because it decided to grow up and loose the cheap one-line attempts at humor, leaving everyone thinking this is for kids. It is time for Trek to do the same thing. If you want a huge theater turnout, you have to get with the times, and stop being afraid to shell out the necessary money. Star Trek has come to that point to either put up or shut up. Berman and Braga slaughtered to death trek, Throw them out the closest air lock and let J.J. Abrams direct it…..Good job!

Then again, I know I am biased and very critical of Star Trek. I’m 36 years old, and to tell the truth, I hated the TOS TV series, although I thought the TOS Movies were awesome, much better than the TNG Movies. DS9 was my favorite series, and although Voyager had its failures, I could sit for 2 weeks straight and watch all episodes of the 7 seasons back to back…again. I don’t understand all the technical babble, I don’t want to. I don’t have schematics of enterprise, and I’m not ready to B-Slap someone for screwing up canon. I don’t go to conventions or own any costumes or badges or any LCARS software on my PC. But I absolutely love Star Trek. As a kid I would be so disappointed to miss an episode of TNG in its first season. I want to be excited again by Star Trek, and this movie seems to be what I have been looking for.

my lug nuts require more torque than your honda puts out
Old 03-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Vice Admiral

this star trek will succeed big time cause everything's right especially the marketing,my only regret is that they could have realized that before nemesis,Abrams is a smart fellow,he has positioned the right players were they should be,another smart move was the rejection of berman and braga,they started as solid producers but after years (not to say i blame them) they started the downhill.forget new voyages (commendable effort but pointless-it will never become an official show)right now abrams and bad robot is the only thing that stands between glory or annihillation of trek

Last edited by jtrek79 : 03-08-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Vice Admiral

THANK YOU! I Only own a model enterprise-E, my fav. ship. But thats it I totally agree with you. Star Trek is finally growing up.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
this star trek will succeed big time cause everything's right especially the marketing,my only regret is that they could have realized that before nemesis,Abrams is a smart fellow,he has positioned the right players were they should be,another smart move was the rejection of berman and braga,they started as solid producers but after years (not to say i blame them) they started the downhill.forget new voyages (commendable effort but pointless)right now abrams and bad robot is the only thing that stands between glory or annihillation of trek
Exactly! I agree completely. It isn’t just putting a new director in charge, but one of talent and vision that could revive this and bring a whole new generation of fans and loyalty in, as well as bring the old back that may have strayed as I did with “Enterprise”. I didn’t watch the series, I gave up after the first 3 episodes. I even tried this year watching the series on Sci-Fi, but I just couldn’t get into it.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
Star Trek is finally growing up.
by the looks of this 3rd trailer, it sure does look like it.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Rear Admiral

Its an awesome time to be a trek fan! Its been my good fortune to've been around each 'age' of Trek - TOS, the 'golden age'; the movies and tv sequel series, the 'silver age'; and now with new film a new beginning, the 'gold-pressed latinum age'. Just rolls off the tongue doesn't it? :-) But the new movie could one day be considered the start of Star Trek's greatest period. Fingers crossed.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister2 View Post
Exactly! I agree completely. It isn’t just putting a new director in charge, but one of talent and vision that could revive this and bring a whole new generation of fans and loyalty in, as well as bring the old back that may have strayed as I did with “Enterprise”. I didn’t watch the series, I gave up after the first 3 episodes. I even tried this year watching the series on Sci-Fi, but I just couldn’t get into it.
i think enterprise was gearing up,but it was just to late,i guess after 18 years of non stop star trek it can happen to the best of us,the exciting with abrams is that he is not trying to convince us to watch the movie,he knows we re gonna see it anyway,i also admire his honesty and his integrity as a professional movie maker , as i said smart man
Old 03-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
i think enterprise was gearing up,but it was just to late,i guess after 18 years of non stop star trek it can happen to the best of us,the exciting with abrams is that he is not trying to convince us to watch the movie,he knows we re gonna see it anyway,i also admire his honesty and his integrity as a professional movie maker , as i said smart man
At the beginning of the trailer, where Kirk is on the bike looking up at the Enterprise, I felt as if the Enterprise was looking down at Kirk as well. I would love to have a poster of that. A J.J. Abrams moment of genius in that shot. It might just be me and my tarded hopeless romantic affliction, but after watching the trailer over again with that point of view, the ship seemed to come alive in its few short camio’s.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Vice Admiral

if abrams wants support from an old fan as my self he's got it,if he doesnt need it he's got it anyway,cause he's got the torch now,period
Old 03-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
if abrams wants support from an old fan as my self he's got it,if he doesnt need it he's got it anyway,cause he's got the torch now,period
Well, I hope the new cast understands what they are getting themselves in to. Kids will make gods of them. They better love trek, because if they don’t, they will go insane with the fans antics. No one has ever played these characters other than the original ones. Big shoes to feel from all sides of the scope.