The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Neerroo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Commander

Yeah, I noticed the unfavourable reviews the Watchmen have been getting... it's a bit of a worry, but then again, those special preview screenings probably came with a strict 'no diss' criterion. The folks who saw it are free to talk about what they saw, provided they leave out the bad stuff... at least, that's how I view it.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure where you get the idea of a "no diss" contract when seeing preview screenings, but I can assure you that no such thing exists. Public preview audiences are not bound by any non-disclosure contract (either positively or negatively), as word of mouth is the precise reason why such screenings are held.

They are not allowed to take photos or videos during the screening, but that's common sense... and also applies to general release screenings, so nothing new there either.

Freedom of speech still exists, even for preview audiences.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Commander

if being insane is a prerequisite to being a star trek villian, jj abrams i could win you multiple emmy's with my insanity :P

GOD Emperor Of The Trekkies
Old 03-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Lieutenant

We tend to forget that Khan wasn't pissed about being banished, in fact he chose it.

Khan was pissed because Kirk didn't bother to stop by after a year or two, (remember, he came from the 20th century, he was probably expecting a check up every other month or so, at least once a year.) He'd lost his wife, (the lovely Lt. Mcguivers, who, was actually probably pregnant as well, let's add insult to injury while we're speculating) and had been in a far harsher fight for survival than he had agreed to. Over time, he probably began to believe that Kirk purposely chose the planet because Kirk knew it was going to get decimated.

In a similar way, the Countdown Comics are showing the evolution of Nero from a kind, Rational Romulan to the pyschopath we're seeing in the trailers. My biggest hope from the film is that the solution, and restoration of the timeline, will, in fact, also come from Nero, that he'll realize that he's done a horrible thing and sacrifice himself to correct it.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
We tend to forget that Khan wasn't pissed about being banished, in fact he chose it.

Khan was pissed because Kirk didn't bother to stop by after a year or two, (remember, he came from the 20th century, he was probably expecting a check up every other month or so, at least once a year.) He'd lost his wife, (the lovely Lt. Mcguivers, who, was actually probably pregnant as well, let's add insult to injury while we're speculating) and had been in a far harsher fight for survival than he had agreed to. Over time, he probably began to believe that Kirk purposely chose the planet because Kirk knew it was going to get decimated.

In a similar way, the Countdown Comics are showing the evolution of Nero from a kind, Rational Romulan to the pyschopath we're seeing in the trailers. My biggest hope from the film is that the solution, and restoration of the timeline, will, in fact, also come from Nero, that he'll realize that he's done a horrible thing and sacrifice himself to correct it.
Not up to Kirk. That would have been Starfleet's responsibility once Kirk filed his report.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Not up to Kirk. That would have been Starfleet's responsibility once Kirk filed his report.
This is a good point. Khan's wrath was directed at Starfleet in general, and only became honed in on Kirk when motormouth Chekov spilled the beans about "Edmirral Keyrk" -- then Kirk became a figurehead target for Khan's revenge.

Even better (and more dramatic), Khan's betrayal by Starfleet isn't unwarranted, as Starfleet was clearly operating right in the neighborhood of Ceti Alpha V without any intention of checking on Khan's progress or even his survival. While on a specific mission in the system, neither Chekov nor Terrell even know what happened to Ceti Alpha VI and what it did to V -- heck they even landed on the wrong planet. Yet they can be bothered to poke around the system for the sake of the Genesis project and Carol Marcus. Khan pretty much got screwed six different ways from Sunday in this deal, and not incidentally so on Starfleet's part.

I can see there will be more than a few similarities in character biography between Khan and Nero, especially in terms of their revenge story.

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post

Does that really matter to the one who's stranded, lost everything, and looking for someone else to blame?

I said I understand Khan's POV, I've never said he wasn't evil, but it's a tried and true point of acting. You never play the evil one as thinking of themselves as evil...(unless it's a comedy, but I digress).

I mean, for God's sake, we all know Hitler was evil, but go back in time and ask him if he knows what he is doing is evil, and I'm sure he'll have some twisted logical reason for everything he does, and its all "For the good of Germany and it's people."

*Edit You are right though...so Khan was not pissed about being banished, he was pissed at being abandoned, and focused on Kirk because he was the one who banished him, and therefore indirectly caused him to be abandoned.

Last edited by lordisaiah : 03-10-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

This speaks to the old adage: every villain is the hero of his own story.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post

My biggest hope from the film is that the solution, and restoration of the timeline, will, in fact, also come from Nero, that he'll realize that he's done a horrible thing and sacrifice himself to correct it.
THAT is too close to a Star Wars story for comfort.

I really hope he just stays as the villian and doesn't end up learn his lesson.

I hope he just ends up being a lost soul. Would be more poetic and not as cliche as Star Wars has become.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Captain

Kinda...I see some Star Trek elements in that. I was disappointed, however, when Doctor Octavious from Spider-Man 2 realized he was wrong and died when redeeming himself.

...What am I saying??? I'm Christian and should be all about redemption!
I'm going to drink a gallon of milk as self-punishment since I'm lactose intolerant!
I won't be seeing you all for a while!
(Stomach churns...curls up on floor in pain...)