The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Comments & Suggestions > New forum or subforum when the movie is out?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Terrific idea - as someone who will be behind many others here I think it would be great to have a place to discuss it without others accidentally stumbling into it and having the film spoiled for them by knowing too much before they go in.
So let me get this striaght. If there is a thread titled "Your favorite part of the Movie", or "Likes and dislikes regarding the movie", or any other title that is OBVIOUS to have spoilers, then people "accidentally stumble" into it by clicking the link? Then they continue to "accidentally" read the contents of the thread? Wouldn't it take...like 2 seconds, to realize you are in a thread that contains spoilers. Assuming someone did not read the thread title they would get one or two sentences into the thread and realize the content, then close down the page.

I have a great idea. How about any new thread regarding the movie, after it has been released, goes under the "Star Trek XI: The Movie" forum. Then we all act like responsible individuals and avoid reading the contents until AFTER we have seen the movie? What's so hard about that?

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 03-16-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:29 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
So let me get this striaght. If there is a thread titled "Your favorite part of the Movie", or "Likes and dislikes regarding the movie", or any other title that is OBVIOUS to have spoilers, then people "accidentally stumble" into it by clicking the link? Then they continue to "accidentally" read the contents of the thread? Wouldn't it take...like 2 seconds, to realize you are in a thread that contains spoilers. Assuming someone did not read the thread title they would get one or two sentences into the thread and realize the content, then close down the page.

I have a great idea. How about any new thread regarding the movie, after it has been released, goes under the "Star Trek XI: The Movie" forum. Then we all act like responsible individuals and avoid reading the contents until AFTER we have seen the movie? What's so hard about that?
Wow, it's so awesome how a lighthearted statement of support for another's idea can get twisted around!

Obviously, there's nothing hard about your suggestion remotely, (and I'm quite sure that's how it will be) except that comments about the film can also find their way into threads that are not specifically titled as such.

Ever heard of a thread wandering off topic? It's not impossible for spoilers to appear elsewhere.

I would make a joke about 'responsible adults' and some not being able to resist reading spoilers out of excitement even if they are tagged, but I'm sure that would go down like a lead balloon as well.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 03-17-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
There is already a forum for "Star Trek XI: The Movie". I think that just about covers the location for any new thread to discuss the movie. I'm sure the admins will post new rules if they do not want too many spoilers to be discussed. Maybe there will be a way to add a spoiler tag to the title of a thread to indicate it is a discussion for those fans that have already seen the movie?
Except there are many ways to discuss the new film which don't involve plot spoilers. Intermixing spoiler and non-spoiler discussion always leads to problems for board members... especially as new members start arriving when the film is released or just before. We all have experience that new, very enthusiastic board users often have the least knowledge or compunction about labeling spoilers and such, which only invites issues to arise.

I'll offer this: any other movie-based discussion board I've used has clearly defined SPOILER and NON-SPOILER section divisions in their forum index. This is the easiest way for ANY board user to *start* on the right track when adding a new topic or venturing in to read existing ones -- the warning is clearly marked on the box before a user can even access the individual topics therein.

This also gives good prompts to members in topics and discussions, since there is no confusion where one is reading and writing amid these two options. That makes for fewer member complaints about a lack of spoiler warnings and code tagging, etc., so less work and reason for admins (our beloved 'Shirts!) to intervene.

Any topics created or posts made which violate the Non-Spoiler definition at the TOP level of forum index can then easily be moved to the Spoiler section by an admin with minimal effort. Cut, paste, done.

Without a spoiler-only section, where would an admin put such spoiler-violating content? Without another option, admins must now intervene at the post-level every time, and either delete content, manually hide it with code or direct the user to do the same ... meanwhile spoiler complaints and user arguments ensue until such fixes are made. That sure seems like the 'hard way' to me, involving the most admin attention with the least satisfying results to members.

If SPOILER and NON-SPOILER divisions were made now, it might head off a lot of problems down the line, and it will help 'train' current members to discuss the film accordingly now when we have relatively 'less' to talk about. Lay a simple foundation now and the gears will be well greased when things really heat up on this forum in two months!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Wow, it's so awesome how a lighthearted statement of support for another's idea can get twisted around!

Obviously, there's nothing hard about your suggestion remotely, (and I'm quite sure that's how it will be) except that comments about the film can also find their way into threads that are not specifically titled as such.

Ever heard of a thread wandering off topic? It's not impossible for spoilers to appear elsewhere.

I would make a joke about 'responsible adults' and some not being able to resist reading spoilers out of excitement even if they are tagged, but I'm sure that would go down like a lead balloon as well.
True. Threads do go off topic all the time. I have also seen a number of occassions where certain information is posted and not properly tagged as a spoiler. So I see where you are coming from. I just find it ridiculous that any person would actually come to this board, browse the threads, and then get upset when they read something they would rather have NOT known (tagged or NOT). Especially AFTER the movie is in theaters. We all know there wil be lots of discussion containing spoilers at that point. The smart thing to do is NOT read anything that could potentialy have spoilers and WAIT till after you have seen the movie.

Now that we are still waiting for the movie we can only discuss minor plot points that have been leaked or made public. We can discuss the Countdown comics. I am the type of person that loves a bunch of spoilers. I wouldn't mind reading an entire synopsis of the movie before I go watch it. Others are not like that. I understand that. I don't understand coming here and then getting upset you saw something you didn't want to see.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
True. Threads do go off topic all the time. I have also seen a number of occassions where certain information is posted and not properly tagged as a spoiler. So I see where you are coming from. I just find it ridiculous that any person would actually come to this board, browse the threads, and then get upset when they read something they would rather have NOT known (tagged or NOT). Especially AFTER the movie is in theaters. We all know there wil be lots of discussion containing spoilers at that point. The smart thing to do is NOT read anything that could potentialy have spoilers and WAIT till after you have seen the movie.

Now that we are still waiting for the movie we can only discuss minor plot points that have been leaked or made public. We can discuss the Countdown comics. I am the type of person that loves a bunch of spoilers. I wouldn't mind reading an entire synopsis of the movie before I go watch it. Others are not like that. I understand that. I don't understand coming here and then getting upset you saw something you didn't want to see.
I'm a spoiler fan myself, really, but I would like to keep some surprises for actually seeing the film and then discussing it afterwards.

I would only get upset if I stumbled over something while looking at a thread I thought was 'safe', for lack of a better term, and given the wide variety of topics and threads here cross-contamination of post-release movie info is highly likely.

That's the reason I agreed something clearly defined as a 'major spoiler' area could be of some possible use.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 03-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Admiral

I'm a spoiler fan myself and even had I not seen the movie, I'd be reading the spoiled forum, but there are an inordinate number of people who just can't stand the idea of having even one microbe of information spoiled for them....

As posting spoilers without using the "hide" feature is officially a no-no on this board, we all be constrained to hide our posts.

Unless, of course, we got a "free reign" forum to post without fear of offending the delicate who fear spoilers.

Again: board policy is that spoilers be hidden (read that "please read" thread at the top of every single forum on this board). Hiding spoilers once the movie has been seen in release is cumbersome and annoying. The logical workaround: a forum dedicated to those who've seen the movie or don't care about spoilers.

Ultimately, of course, the forums could be integrated as we hit the point that all who could care will have seen the movie...but, I have to tell you....I just got in a whole bunch of trouble for posting a really well known fact from a 2 year old kid's fantasy book on an adult science fiction board...so, the lines for "when is it spoiling?" are not at all obvious.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:17 PM
Federation Councillor

Yep, I still think it's a valid idea.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 03-30-2009, 02:31 PM

Thank you for the thoughts and suggestions. I'm not sure if we're going to create a spoiler forum. We might clarify the rules by reminding people to put "spoiler" in spoiler thread titles.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Red, as has been noted, threads on this board are rarely "linear"....the topic at the begining is rarely the topic in the middle and by the end, it's something else entirely. One could in perfect honesty post a spoiler free seeming topic like "Does Quinto look enough like Nimoy?" and have it quickly derail into discussions of specific scenes and dialogue. It's so easy to imagine it's almost painful.

A single subforum under "the movie" that's labeled: "Free Discussion, there will be spoilers, enter at your own risk" would make things easier for us and for you. When the inevitable happens and a theoretically "non-Spoiler" thread goes spoiler, it would be a simple thing to move it to the "free discussion" subforum.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
A single subforum under "the movie" that's labeled: "Free Discussion, there will be spoilers, enter at your own risk" would make things easier for us and for you. When the inevitable happens and a theoretically "non-Spoiler" thread goes spoiler, it would be a simple thing to move it to the "free discussion" subforum.
That is a great way to do it...and BTW, although it does not guarantee a sequel, Paramount has given the go ahead to work on a script for the next movie with a Summer 2011 release.

Hopefully that means that this site will stick around!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.