The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Passing the Torch (A Message of Optimism from a ''First Generation'' fan)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCat View Post
I could not have said this any better...even though I was born a year AFTER TOS went off the air in first-runs, I watched it as re-runs as a young child, and Mom told me I asked her to show me how to read her books because I knew "some of them are about Star Trek, and I want to read them by myself, Mommy" She taught me to read at three years old, so I could know the Universe of Star Trek. In fact, one of the reasons I love Star Trek is because it was shared between my Mother and me, all of my life, till she died. Some of the best advice she ever gave me came out of Star Trek novels... she used Star Trek to show me what the world could and should be, compared to how it is, teaching me that I should try to make it better, every chance I got.
Thank you, SSP, for such a well written post that exactly explains why I feel and how I feel about Star Trek.
Your post here is beautiful as well, thanks for sharing it.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:54 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Thank You

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Vice Admiral

And that's what it boils down to, isn't it? We can't be afraid that something we loved in the past will somehow become unloveable as it changes with time.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
And that's what it boils down to, isn't it? We can't be afraid that something we loved in the past will somehow become unloveable as it changes with time.
Indeed.

When it comes to things like this...never be ashamed of the past. The past is a snapshot to be cherished.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

The really interesting thing is, how Trek and my own history seemed to coincide with each other's growth! I remember tuining in that first time to "The Man Trap" and not sleeping for a week, thanks to the M-113 salt vampire... The years we all languished between the cancellation, and the first movie. Those are the "lost in the wilderness years" for Trek Fandom.
TMP came out about the same time I was making plans to go to college. By the time Wrath of Khan was out, I was moving to Denver... By the time Search for Spock, I was married. All the films between WOK, and FC, were some of the best in my life, surrounded by great friends, and doing things creatively that made for a great end to my life's "first act". Now, the curtain has gone up on Act II, and Trek has mutated into it's new form, like a butterfly emerging from it's coccoon.

With a great deal of luck, I hope Trek continues... right up until the day I die.(Maybe sometime around the year 2040.) Mainly because I can't think of a better story, or characters, to have in the background of my life, a home base, a unifying force, between all the friends I have, and myself.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCat View Post
I could not have said this any better...even though I was born a year AFTER TOS went off the air in first-runs, I watched it as re-runs as a young child, and Mom told me I asked her to show me how to read her books because I knew "some of them are about Star Trek, and I want to read them by myself, Mommy" She taught me to read at three years old, so I could know the Universe of Star Trek. In fact, one of the reasons I love Star Trek is because it was shared between my Mother and me, all of my life, till she died. Some of the best advice she ever gave me came out of Star Trek novels... she used Star Trek to show me what the world could and should be, compared to how it is, teaching me that I should try to make it better, every chance I got.
Thank you, SSP, for such a well written post that exactly explains why I feel and how I feel about Star Trek.
You are still most certainly a ''first generation'' fan as is anyone who was born before the TNG-era.

Thanks for your kind comments. I'm glad to have struck a common chord with so many of you. We, who think ''this way,'' as well as fans of all generations, are the heart and soul of all that is Star Trek.

Thanks for welcoming me to your club.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Ensign

Thanks for the words of encouragement and optimism SSP.

Cheers!
Old 05-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Wow, thanks for that insight SSP. That's probably the most eloquent and spot on thing I'm seen on this forum.

Although the high school part makes me aggravated at how a lot of young guys today don't understand sacrifice for someone you love. I'll be honest, I was defiantly sniffling and holding back tears during the opening scene.
I hope your stepson doesn't eat the fish
There's something wrong with me
There's nothing wrong with you
Don't eat the fish
-
System of a Down
Old 05-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Lieutenant

My Uncle has been a fan since day one, has seen it all. He liked this one the best. He is not in to the technical stuff just likes the story.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The extent of the love my Mom and I had (and I still feel) for Star Trek will be shown by this...

When I turned eight, the only TV in the house was my Grandma's. three weeks after my birthday in October, that TV blew the picture tube, and was junked. Mom would not let Dad by a new one for Christmas, and as a result, there was no TV in my house from the time I was eight till TNG aired...Mom bought her first TV just to watch a new Star Trek!! Seven years without a TV in the house, except during the Olympics...Mom would rent one for those, then take it back when they were over.

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!