The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I don't care what canonites say. This is going to ROCK
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Vice Admiral

the new star trek i suppose

in theaters may 8
Old 03-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Ensign

If we slaved EXACTLY to canon, to established tradition, and nothing else to the exact look and feel down the minutests detail, the result would have been something like James Cawley’s TOS:Phase II.

And I'm sorry to say this but that would have been everything the new movie should NOT be ... a pastiche, an admirable and enjoyable effort with enthusiastic amatuers having fun, but ultimatley an experiment in style rather than a vehicle for telling good stories. TOS:Phase II is to Star Trek what The Rutles are to The Beatles — great for the cult, but too exclusive if the intention is to create something new.

JJ Abrhams on the other hand, really has seemed to have saved Star Trek ...
Old 03-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenhiggins53 View Post
If we slaved EXACTLY to canon, to established tradition, and nothing else to the exact look and feel down the minutests detail, the result would have been something like James Cawley’s TOS:Phase II.

And I'm sorry to say this but that would have been everything the new movie should NOT be ... a pastiche, an admirable and enjoyable effort with enthusiastic amatuers having fun, but ultimatley an experiment in style rather than a vehicle for telling good stories. TOS:Phase II is to Star Trek what The Rutles are to The Beatles — great for the cult, but too exclusive if the intention is to create something new.

One very important difference, Mr. Higgins...

The Rutles were a parody as much as they were a tribute to The Beatles...

I don't think Cawley's Phase II's intent is to be a parody.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
the new star trek i suppose

in theaters may 8
That made absolutely no sense as an answer to the question "What makes bigger better?"...

But then, maybe it tells me what I need to know.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenhiggins53 View Post

Once again, nobody has ever said that everything from TOS should be replicated down to the smallest detail. What has been said is that if this movie was supposed to be based upon TOS, then it should have looked the part. The original Enterprise could and should have been updated with better detailing using modern CGI technology. Deg3d, EdenFX, Vektor, and many other digital artists have proven that the original E can look fantastic and totally modern with some updating. The Abramsprise is just too radical a departure from the original to be considered the same ship by any strech of the imagination. The original bridge (technically Pike's bridge) could and should have been updated to modern standards but remained true to the original layout and design. To keep every little detail such as the gumdrop buttons and nonsense blinky lights would be stupid. But the original design layout and aesthetic could easily have been preserved without completely redesigning the whole thing. So yes, it could have been done. JJ and co. just decided that they were going to do it their way and make this a Star Wars movie and tack the Star Trek name on it.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Once again, nobody has ever said that everything from TOS should be replicated down to the smallest detail. What has been said is that if this movie was supposed to be based upon TOS, then it should have looked the part. The original Enterprise could and should have been updated with better detailing using modern CGI technology. Deg3d, EdenFX, Vektor, and many other digital artists have proven that the original E can look fantastic and totally modern with some updating. The Abramsprise is just too radical a departure from the original to be considered the same ship by any strech of the imagination. The original bridge (technically Pike's bridge) could and should have been updated to modern standards but remained true to the original layout and design. To keep every little detail such as the gumdrop buttons and nonsense blinky lights would be stupid. But the original design layout and aesthetic could easily have been preserved without completely redesigning the whole thing. So yes, it could have been done. JJ and co. just decided that they were going to do it their way and make this a Star Wars movie and tack the Star Trek name on it.
Word!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post

Indeed.
Dedication to the originality of what came first should not be exaggerated into "slavery". It is a reasonable expectation to require similarity with things of the same name, time and genre.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Default it's only my opinion but...

When Nero says, "Jim Kirk was a great man, but that was another life."

It's because Nero has changed the Timeline and ultimately believes he has changed Kirk for the worse by altering events and he will never Captain a Starship.

What Nero fails to realised that regardless of the timeline changes Kirk is still destined to be the greatest Starfleet Captain ever, even if this new timeline throws obstacles at every turn.

It's STILL STAR TREK AS WE KNEW IT

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 03-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Rear Admiral

It's all so stupid, IMO. Some people--on either side of the canon issue--are acting as if this movie will actually replace anything that comes before. It won't. Everything that came before will still be there. We've got two (count 'em two) Star Trek universes to play in now--the TV universe and the movie universe--with this movie being where they go their separate ways.

Now go get me some more popcorn and make it quick...
Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Rear Admiral

The story here is what is important. I could care less about the over all appearance of the the effects. (That is why I love watching TOS in it original format) TOS had amazing stories, drawing us into the plight of the characters. It literally brought us heart and soul into their world. It didn't matter that some of the effects in TOS were a bit hockey,we still bought into it with our imaginations. It wasn't until the feature films came out that we were exposed to higher quality details In ship and set design. TNG brought even more to our attention.
Now we have a new Star Trek from the beginning, with a tie to the "prime reality." Showing us a new path, new adventures, on a scope that Trek has never been on. Even TWOK seems a bit static compared to the smallest example of what we have gleaned off this new film through its three trailers. This alone should appease those of us that love good effects in our films...However the story that is starting to come together here is thrilling. Seeing a new Kirk and Crew come together in a reality that should have thrown them into obsurity. Watching as that one irresistable tie pulls them together and forms them into a team not unlike the one we knew. I don't know about the rest of you and at this point I believe I am not alone in saying: We are in for one helluva ride!!!!