The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Music from the new trailer...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Midshipman

Default Music in new preview

Question about the music in the preview - is it from the new score for the movie, or form another source??? Really liked the music, and was wondering... if it is from the score, I'm really excited about it... Not to mention being excited about the movie itself now.

I was a little unsure about the movie... but seeing the preview, I'm stoked for May... as the good captain says in the preview... "Buckle up!"
Old 01-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Fleet Admiral

This has been discussed before but the short answer is: no, the music in the trailer is not from TREK's score. It's from the CHILDREN OF DUNE soundtrack, a cut titled "War Begins" composed by Brian Tyler. If you search YouTube, there is video of an ensemble playing the track. Enjoy!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
This has been discussed before but the short answer is: no, the music in the trailer is not from TREK's score. It's from the CHILDREN OF DUNE soundtrack, a cut titled "War Begins" composed by Brian Tyler. If you search YouTube, there is video of an ensemble playing the track. Enjoy!
An addendum to what you said, the music itself in the trailer was apparently rescored by Star Trek's composer Michael Giachinno. So he essentially just got the sheet music from that song, edited it down and recorded what we hear.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Lieutenant

Will he have to pay royalties?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMan View Post
An addendum to what you said, the music itself in the trailer was apparently rescored by Star Trek's composer Michael Giachinno. So he essentially just got the sheet music from that song, edited it down and recorded what we hear.
Hmm, that's the first I've heard of Giacchino being involved in the rescoring of Tyler's track -- did I miss a report somewhere?

Going by the YouTube video, I don't see Giacchino anywhere in the studio. I can't Google a story about MG rescoring War Begins either... though the trailer music IS different than the CoD soundtrack cut, that much seems certain. I've not heard that MG was personally involved with that change... yet. Any confirmations would be appreciated!

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Hmm, that's the first I've heard of Giacchino being involved in the rescoring of Tyler's track -- did I miss a report somewhere?

Going by the YouTube video, I don't see Giacchino anywhere in the studio. I can't Google a story about MG rescoring War Begins either... though the trailer music IS different than the CoD soundtrack cut, that much seems certain. I've not heard that MG was personally involved with that change... yet. Any confirmations would be appreciated!
What I meant was that Giacchino apparently just redid (or edited) the score especially for the trailer.

There is also this (down the page at "Facts")

http://trekmovie.com/2008/11/14/trai...most-theaters/

Also Bob Orci made a comment that he was present when Giacchino was doing the scoring session for this (though the comment seems to have been deleted when Anthony corrected some of his info.)

Last edited by TriggerMan : 01-18-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

Fascinating.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMan View Post
I just got it from this:

http://trekmovie.com/2008/11/14/trai...most-theaters/

Also Bob Orci made a comment that he was present when Giacchino was doing the scoring session for this.
Somehow I missed that one. Thanks much for the link (back)!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Midshipman

Glad I stumbled upon this thread, I LOVE the theme in the preview!! Actually I think the rescored one sounds better, but doubt I'm gonna find that to buy legally anywhere (I deplore pirated anything)... but if there is tell me D: At east i've got a new movie to check out now!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:16 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Music from the new trailer...

Does anyone have any idea where it comes from? Is it actually from the original score, or is it from another film? If so, what film? If anyone happens to know, please tell me. Thanks!

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--