The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Who is Nero shaping up to be like?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Captain

I haven't seen the latest trailer yet but I have to say that while reading COUNTDOWN, I am a little uninspired by Nero's development so far. I mean, true seeing your home planet go up would tend to push the envelope on sanity restraint, but for the character to start out being so sympathetic and greatful to Spock and the Federation for all their efforts to becoming so evil and vindictive... Am I the only one who is reminded of Anakin Skywalker here? If that is the extent of his character's development, I will be disappointed. Admittedly, we have 2 more issues of the comic to go.

Regarding Bana, I think a great actor is extremely important but even the best one is limited by what he has to work with. I love F. Murray Abraham as an actor, but his character in Insurrection was weak. Same thing with Jonathan Pryce in the James Bond flick The World is not Enough. Great actor but the character was underwhelming for me.

We'll just have to trust that they all know what they're doing.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Nero = Shinzon

That's what I'm afraid of.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

Vue, I think you might have overlooked a subtle character point demonstrated by Nero BEFORE the gagh hit the fan. Review page 7 of Issue #2 for an example.

Nero was grateful and helpful to Spock as long as he thought his actions would help save his wife and avert disaster, but the Romulans continue to display hidden or at least alternate agendas in their own interest, as Issue 2 illustrates. In fact, there's mistrust flowing between several parties, not only the Romulans.

Given the events which unfold during this comic prequel and in the film, I expect nothing less from Nero, being a Romulan... and likely a renegade one at that.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Frank View Post
Nero = Shinzon

That's what I'm afraid of.
I'll take that over Nero = Ru'afo
Old 03-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffs79 View Post

My Friend, You WILL indeed be buying this chicken.

EDIT: 15 minutes in GIMP with a caffeine craze and you get this.
ROFL!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Ensign

Cool who is nero shaping up to be like?

well,i think that trailer #3 kicks you know what,but for some reason,when nero says "fire everything",it reminds me of the gary oldman character in leon the professional when he says angrily,"bring me everyone"
Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Rear Admiral

I Just one question reguarding the character Nero...how did a outlaw Romulan end up with ancient crazy Roman Emporer's name? Just wondering if that is covered somewhere?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Fleet Admiral

In mythology, Romulus and Remus are, according to Roman legend, the founders of Rome and according to some accounts, Romulus served as the first King of Rome.

The TREK ties between Romulan culture and Roman Empire are deliberate, and date back to TOS. Not surprising that Nero would be part of that tradition, and likely no coincidence either.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
In mythology, Romulus and Remus are, according to Roman legend, the founders of Rome and according to some accounts, Romulus served as the first King of Rome.

The TREK ties between Romulan culture and Roman Empire are deliberate, and date back to TOS. Not surprising that Nero would be part of that tradition, and likely no coincidence either.
I should have thought of that myself...hmmmm must be slipping....but thank you for setting me straight Mission!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Midshipman

Not knowing the plot of the movie, or details, I would guess the following:

If Nero is destroying planets for fatalistic, insane, revenge with no purpose, he looks to be a cross between Ledgers' The Joker in THE DARK KNIGHT and Khan.

If Nero is destroying planets for obsessional, insane, reasons with an agenda--to restore his family--he looks to be a mixture of Annorax in the VOYAGER episode THE YEAR OF HELL, 1 & 2 and Soran in GENERATIONS.