The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Theory on the quick promotions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
The new movie takes place in an alternate timeline...

Thing is, if Pike dies, "The Cage" will not happen in the Abramsverse (unless Pike dies after that point), and neither will "The Menagerie."

I am prepared for nothing we have known to happen again.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Bear in mind that the film is likely to cover several years, so depending on what happens in the script, although we see him go from Cadet to Captain, we can't tell for sure yet how much time that takes him.
People keep forgetting that what we see in a 2 minute trailer doesn't necessarily mean that everything takes place in 2 minutes!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Well lack of captains after a lot of deaths is a good explanation, could also be that Pike dies and Kirk takes command kinda like Picard on the Stargazer. Could also be a battlefield promotion, if someone is good, why not let him command a ship?
Rank in Trek always seemed to beless important than in today's military, skill seems to be more important. Kirk has the skill to command a starship, so make him captain, which is rather a job than a rank along this kind of thinking.
I thought of Picard & the Stargazer as well. Picard is a lieutenant commander though, while Kirk is supposed to still be a cadet, right? That seems like a little too big of a jump...

Unless of course we're all assuming Kirk is a cadet. Just because he's wearing the black uni doesn't necessarily make him one.

Quick Spoiler

He could be a lieutenant, but grounded for some unknow reason. This may make his rise to captain a little more plausible.

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage75 View Post
I thought of Picard & the Stargazer as well. Picard is a lieutenant commander though, while Kirk is supposed to still be a cadet, right? That seems like a little too big of a jump...

Unless of course we're all assuming Kirk is a cadet. Just because he's wearing the black uni doesn't necessarily make him one.

Quick Spoiler

He could be a lieutenant, but grounded for some unknow reason. This may make his rise to captain a little more plausible.

In one of the short scenes presented by JJ late last year, doesn't Spock on the Enterprise bridge say "The Ensign's reasoning is logical" to Pike in reference to Kirk's explanation about the Romulan attack?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
In one of the short scenes presented by JJ late last year, doesn't Spock on the Enterprise bridge say "The Ensign's reasoning is logical" to Pike in reference to Kirk's explanation about the Romulan attack?
You are correct on that... I think at this point Kirk has undergone several years of training at the academy. He is in a command channel but perhaps for his cheating on the KM he is disciplined and held back. It is protocol. Upper brass sees his potential but also sees Kirk has an aversion for following his own compass rather than strict Starfleet policy. Is this much different from the Kirk we know. Not really.... In the original series timeline he takes his punishment and moves along the ranks normally, perhaps taking a longer path to command. In this new time line though he is forced into a different path to command through necessity. He is driven through events and destiny.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I agree that perhaps Kirk is busted in rank. It might even be just a temporary disciplinary action, and Starfleet has the full intent to restore his rank (Lieutenant?) if he behaves. In TMP Kirk reduced Decker's rank as well as his own (from Admiral to Captain) on a temporary basis.

Spock's reference may be his way of rubbing in Kirk's punishment.

One other observation, based on events of "The Doomsday Machine," it appears that Starship captains may have the authority to determine who commands the ship in their absence. Perhaps there is a scene where we find out that Pike's last order as Captain of the Enterprise was to place Kirk in command.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
One other observation, based on events of "The Doomsday Machine," it appears that Starship captains may have the authority to determine who commands the ship in their absence. Perhaps there is a scene where we find out that Pike's last order as Captain of the Enterprise was to place Kirk in command.
Great thoughts....If Nero has Pike in custody he may have revealed something to Pike or Pike finds it out. Pike somehow gets that message across. Its no secret that Pike already sees great potential in Kirk. Having dared him to do better and all.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Captain

I had forgotten about the "Ensign" comment....good memory!

How about this: Kirk is a lieutenant on the Farragut and is on Earth facing a court martial for his non-action in dealing with the dikironium cloud that kills his captain and 200 (I think?) crew members.

The result of the court martial is a reduction in rank. While on Earth, he gets involved with the Enterprise crew, hears about the Romulan ship, and has McCoy smuggle him aboard so he can prevent the ship from being destroyed.

This helps tie in canon (except that in TOS a review found that the loss of life aboard the Farragut was not Kirk's fault).

The problem with this is telling of the story aboard the Farragut...probably would take up too much time.

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Fleet Admiral

I believe it was "The cadet's logic is sound".

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I believe it was "The cadet's logic is sound".
Then that would blow my whole theory to hell. Thanks. LOL!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Fleet Admiral

A google search for
spock "the ensign's reasoning is logical"
gives no results.

A google search for
spock "the cadet's logic is sound"
gives ign and trekunited.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-