The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Literature > Novels, Novellas, Short Stories > Film novelisation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2009, 04:51 AM
Federation Councillor

Default Film novelisation

Was just wondering whether once the novelisation comes out whether anyone likes to read them before they see the film or whether they would wait til afterwards?

I remember when I was young I bought and read the Trek V novelisation, and not realising it wasn't all going to be in the film, was very disappointed when I saw V. Since then, I've never read a novelisation til after seeing the film.

Just wondered how others approach this.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Fleet Admiral

Because the novelization is a tie-in, I will see the movie first, and then read the novel.

Unlike the Harry Potter books where I like to read the books first (because novels are their original medium) and then see the movies. (Which is actually ironic, because I didn't even get into Harry Potter until after I saw the first movie, which hooked my doubtful a$$ immediately).

Old 02-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Federation Councillor

Lol! I didn't start reading the Harry Potter books until after I had seen the second film, then went through them in turn.

If it stems from a novel that's different, but if it starts as a film I'd see the film first.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Lol! I didn't start reading the Harry Potter books until after I had seen the second film, then went through them in turn.

If it stems from a novel that's different, but if it starts as a film I'd see the film first.
They are some great reads though, eh?

Now, what's disappointing me is that the next Harry Potter movie "The Half-Blood Prince" is going to be PG, not PG-13. The books get more intense and darker in scope, and it sounds like this movie is going to be toned-down.

By all rights, if they really follow the books, this movie and the next one oughtta actually be teetering on an R-rating because of the bloody, and oft dismembering nature of the battles in the stories.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 AM
Midshipman

Yeh, I'd see the film first and then check out the book, it often allows you to visualise and udnerstand the novelisation a little better I find...did it with the Nemesis book and I'll do it with this one. Can't wait!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Rear Admiral

I've always seen the movie first before I read the book. More often than not, the author has a chance to showcase and expand upon things that won't be actually covered in the movie. The novelization of Star Trek V was way better than the movie (IMO), Star Trek IV's novelization tied up all the loose ends from "The Genesis trilogy," while the first few chapters of the novelization of Star Trek III dealt with the personal and political fallout from Star Trek II before going into the main story.

But I haven't read a Trek movie novelization since Generations, unfortunately.Pocket Books decided to only publish them as trades after '94 and I can't fit books that size on my shelf...
Old 03-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Pocket Books decided to only publish them as trades after '94 and I can't fit books that size on my shelf...
I imagine a future with adjustable shelving. Call me a dreamer.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 03-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Vice Admiral

I think the books are always better than the movie. It doesn't matter if the movie was based on the book or if the book is the novelization of a movie. There are wayyyy more details in books. I read "The DaVinci Code" before the movie hit theaters. I was VERY disappointed by the movie. I've already read "Angels and Demons" so I'll wait till it's on dvd before I watch the movie.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Vice Admiral

Can someone straighten something out for me? Are we talking about a novelization of Trek XI, or of Countdown?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I think the books are always better than the movie. It doesn't matter if the movie was based on the book or if the book is the novelization of a movie. There are wayyyy more details in books. I read "The DaVinci Code" before the movie hit theaters. I was VERY disappointed by the movie. I've already read "Angels and Demons" so I'll wait till it's on dvd before I watch the movie.
I think Angels and Demons will be a better film - DaVinci Code had all the hype, but it was actually a weaker book.

courtesy of Saquist