The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > TOS Novels
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Midshipman

Post TOS Novels

Hi everyone!

I'd like to start reading Star Trek books. Having never read any before, it is confusing to try and figure out where to start. Most novels that I've seen are in a large series and they say "book 14 of 26" or something. Can anyone recommend a starting novel to someone who has never read a Star Trek book before? I'd prefer to stay in the TOS-era.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Constellations is a good place to start. its a compilation of short stories by Trek writers that read like tall tales and legends almost. the book was released in 07 so its pretty recent. Best thing about it too is that the different stories develop the characters (uhura, sulu, chekov...)

That's my two cents
PS If you loved watching TWOK , the Eugenics Wars book series provide a great backstory, but they are in volumes.

But read Constellations first, i think you'll like it.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Ensign

I would strongly recommend the 40th anniversary "Crucible" trilogy by David R. George - McCoy: Provenance of Shadows, Spock: The Fire and the Rose, and Kirk: The Star to Every Wandering. They were designed to be enjoyed as a standalone trilogy, with no continuity with any preceding novels and so was based on information from the series and movies only.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Midshipman

If you'd like to know what all is out there, I recommend the book Star Trek: Voyages Of The Imagination-The Star Trek Fiction Companion by Jeff Ayers. It pretty much covers everything to come out in the last 30 years up to the Crucible series.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Once you get going and read a few, and see a few episodes, and see Mirror Mirror, I sugest Reading the Mirror Universe Series, it's probably the best Star Trek Series I ever read. There are two out at the momemt, Glass Empires and Obsidian Alliances. Ofcourse you need to see the DS9, Enterprise and Voyager Mirror Universe Episodes unfortunatly.... It is a very good series though...

"Tickle us do we not Laugh? Prick us do we not Bleed? Wrong us shall we not Revenge" -General Chang Star Trek VI, quoted from Shakespeare
Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

As a series I certainly enjoyed TOS New Earth series of books created by Diane Carey. Off the top of my head i think that it contained 6 books.

As a stand alone book, one of my favourite Original Series' books is The Fearful Summons by Denny Martin Flynn. It starts off just after The Undiscovered Country & Flynn was one of the writers of the film. It's quite a short book & easy to get into. I think that it really captures the spirit of TOS.

Also Shadows On The Sun by Michael Jan Friedman is a good choice if your a Bones fan as it fills in a bit of his back story.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Midshipman

I've just started reading trek novels... like literally two days ago. So I've only managed to finish one! I figured a god place to start would be the beginning (aka, the first book) Mission to Horatius.

It was written for young adults, so it was entertaining to say the least. Not the best piece of writing I've ever read,and actually, quite formulaic, but fun :-P i really like how James Blish wrote out fight scenes. "Kirk quickly hopped up and judo chopped the beast blah blah blah" lol
Old 02-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Ensign

Most of the books in the regular series are stand alone books. The ones that are parts of a miniseries usually say what book of 3 or 4 or more that they are. the books that are numbered 1 thru 90 or whatever are just pocket books cataloging the star trek series for us collectors and not a reading sequence. I prefer tos also and I would say you could comfortably jump in anywhere. But I think one of the better ones is Best Destiny by Diane Duane.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Ensign

Sorry, Best Destiny was written Diane Carey
Old 02-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Lieutenant

I've got several favorites but three come to mind at the moment....

THE PRICE OF THE PHOENIX
THE FATE OF THE PHOENIX
FINAL REFLECTION

I read all three, for the first time back in the '70s...