The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > Porthos
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default Porthos

You know, this isn't some guinea pig you're working on here. This is Porthos, my beagle, my pal.

Just expressing my appreciation for including a dog as 'Number Eight'.

Although he was always a scence stealer, he was quite important for Archer. Kirk had Bones, Picard had Guinan, Sisko had Dax, Janeway had Tuvok and while Archer had Trip to talk to, the conventional CO image was stronger emphasized in ENT than in other Trek series, so Archer needed someone like Porthos to talk to.
And unlike Spot, Porthos was a real animal character IMO. Thumbs up for referring to him in the upcoming movie
Old 02-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Vice Admiral

Porthos was a great addition to Trek. He did seem to have his own personality and character, and boy did he love cheese!

O wonder how many Trekkers went out and got beagles and named them Porthos. I almost did!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:18 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Beagles are perhaps one of the most family friendly dog breeds around. I've had three in my 45 years on Earth. Peanut, Shotzie, and Watson. All females. I highly reccommend them to anyone who has a kid, and enough yard space to support the dog without making them feel imprisoned. (The only thing I wondered about, watching Enterprise, is if Porthos would have had enough room to run.)

My favorite Porthos episode: the one where they had to operate on him, and he was suspended in that weird tank. You got a real understanding about how attached Archer was to his dog. I liked Archer before, but seeing him that involved with his beagle just put me squarely in his corner.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

Three beagles, that's lovely, Fan. I'd like to have a dog too, but urban areas are not the ideal living space for dogs ... and as you mentioned neither are submarine-like spaceships.

A Night in Sickbay was indeed a lovely episode, some over-the-top humour * la "Trouble with Tribbles" and serious issues like Archer's affection for his dog and Earth Starfleet's rigid fraternization rules.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:28 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

They were the greatest dogs to grow up with. But these days, I've switched tracks and become more of a cat fancier. I don't really agree that Spot wasn't much of a character on TNG... Like all cats, Spot had character but chose to remain aloof. (They're sort of the vulcans of the pet world.)

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:57 AM
Vice Admiral

LOL! I always liked beagles, so I loved Porthos.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Captain

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Beagles are perhaps one of the most family friendly dog breeds around. I've had three in my 45 years on Earth.
And besides Earth, have you had dogs anywhere else? (Sorry...couldn't resist! )

I'm more a fan of larger dogs, like Golden Retrievers, but actually found myself considering a Beagle after watching ENT....thank god Porthos wasn't a Poodle!

You people have ruined "Star Trek The Next Generation" for me. You are absolutely the most insufferable group of jackasses I have ever had the misfortune of spending an extended period of time with. I hope you all f@*#! die. - Stewie after spending the day with the TNG cast.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Vice Admiral

[quote=Damage75;149335]
Quote:

And besides Earth, have you had dogs anywhere else? (Sorry...couldn't resist! )
Not that I'm aware of... but there are times I wonder if.... Well, let's just say "...that there are more things in heaven and on Earth, horatio..."

Old 05-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Commander

I never grew up with a dog or cat in the house. My parents were not big on pets. We had gold fishes... I had a hamster and birds... now a dwarf rabbit(belonging to my younger sister). I've lived with my roommate's dogs and cats for a couple years. I do wish to have one of my own dog and cat someday. Porthos really sold the breed for me. My first dog... most definitely a beagle if I can find one at a shelter. My jobs, the current roommates make it a bad idea right now. In a year I will move out... get an apartment to myself... then get a doggie!

http://www.dianahuang.com