The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will Star Trek evolve?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant-7 View Post
Star Trek was born in the sixties as a sci-fi reaction to the political and social turmoil of the era. Racism, war, poverty, inequality and imperialism were criticized trough the series, in the context of the possibility of a better future. The series might evolve to keep it fresh, but without losing its essence. Considering our planet actual situation is seem obvious that Star Trek values still valid and transcendental.
if they are taking it back to basics, Star Trek is about survival-not exploration of ideas. Kirk did whatever it took to stay alive and not lose any crew. I remember Kirk did a scene in Wiat Earp Cowboy days. They really need to make this no more childs play. Make is serious. Make it hot action. Make it understanding. Make it about Kirk being smarter than the what is out there. I dont mind seeing Kirk be put in rock and hard spot. The more the better. More likely a phaser button will get pushed. Thats Kirk understanding of the universe.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Star Trek was always in an Action-Adventure series, and used that platform as a way of examining human issues like the Arms Race, Racism, War, Diplomacy and even Religion.
And we have a different generation now. Believe me, I remember my high school girlfriend crying when I wanted to see Star Trek IV. I never understood why until I got older. They need to stop making Star Trek for juveniles. Get it rated R. And get Doctor Ripley in the action. If you take out the examining human issues, perhaps they can revitalize the series. It should be examining the alien issues. Keep them around or get the universe colonized with humans?
Old 02-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma Stud View Post
With them taking it back to the beginning, they could pretty much reinvent what is out there. I have already done Klingons. Romels. Aligater men. Smart flowers. Machine world. I'm ready for Kirk the conquerer. Nobody going to miss Space Aliens?
The unfortunate thing is that Klingons, Romulans and Vulcans have been done to death.

However, the movie is a done deal and I will wait and see, and I will be fortunate to watch the movie in preview.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

i think the evolution of the serries to a more serious diplomatic i.e captain Kirk to Picard was do to the lack of unity in the world and gene Roddenberry wanted to give us a message about a better tomorrow and how that the future isnt just going to be shoot first ask questions later. all tough kirk did have his diplomatic side that was he did shoot first ask question later.but it was to show us that the future would be more understanding and hopeful.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicktrick View Post
i think the evolution of the serries to a more serious diplomatic i.e captain Kirk to Picard was do to the lack of unity in the world and gene Roddenberry wanted to give us a message about a better tomorrow and how that the future isnt just going to be shoot first ask questions later. all tough kirk did have his diplomatic side that was he did shoot first ask question later.but it was to show us that the future would be more understanding and hopeful.
So, do you porpose changing fundamentally who Kirk is to make him more like Picard?

Or do we stay true to the Original Series characters as portrayed in the Original Series?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Midshipman

Changing Kirk in to picad would be a kick in the nuts. Kirk is not Picard. 2 very diffrent people for 2 very diffrent times. Kirks time there was far more turmoil. Alien races where a lot more agressive to the human race than in Picards time. Tretes and peace accords had been done by the time picard took over. For all intens and perpos the Alpha Quadrent was at peace untill the Dominion War.

Kirks time was far more volitile. I can't see Kirk say we much find a peacful solution no matter what. it's more like.

Alien: "I'm going to count to 3"

Kirk: "No i'm going to count to 3"

Alien:"One"

Kirk "Two"
And Zap alien is in a bad way.

In picards day it would be the same but by the time the Aliens counted to 3 picards pritty much begged him to see sence.