The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will Star Trek evolve?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Ensign

Question Will Star Trek evolve?

I was a big Star Trek fan when I was a kid. But I would be interested in a more serious Star Trek where Kirk is the frontline against a superior alien race at the middle of the universe. I want to see zapping, space troopper like action, and more OMG-what is that? Phaser it!

I was thinking something like Kirk VS the alien greens and greys. Complete with superior UFO technonlogy. Hyperspacing would be nice to see. The warp stuff is overrated.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Commander

This is "Star Trek" and not "Starship Troopers."

Zapping...space trooper-like action...shooting first and not asking questions--these things aren't at the heart of what "Star Trek" is.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Midshipman

Kirk was always a phasr it first then say "should i have done that?" kinda guy. And thats why we love him. but who knows this might be a prelude to the Fediration - Klingon war.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Ensign

What do you think is going to be like when you encounter the horrors of space?
There is probbaly aliens that have no vocal cord ability so reasoning with them is out of the question. Zapping them is the only solution. Because they so stinkly and smelly. We need a King of Kick-butt Kirk.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Midshipman

In star treak they always try to comunicate. wather it be though speach or another form. it's only when there attacked to they just "Kick off" so to speak. there will be no,"my god it's ugley it must die"
Old 02-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial View Post
Kirk was always a phasr it first then say "should i have done that?" kinda guy. And thats why we love him. but who knows this might be a prelude to the Fediration - Klingon war.

Exactly. The new Kirk should be the same type. Zapper first, then ask Spock what was it.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Fleet Admiral

STAR TREK would have to devolve to provide those zap-bang elements. Nothing wrong with such films or with enjoying them... but they already exist outside of ST for viewing. Plus the concept of a 'UFO' as we know it would make no sense in the Trek universe: the Federation regularly encounters other species from other planets, unlike contemporary Earth, plus it will be the Enterprise's mission to seek out new life... so they'll encounter unknowns on purpose, not be mystified by blurry videos of lights in the sky they don't understand. Our concept of UFOs and aliens would be a societal relic by the 23rd century.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
STAR TREK would have to devolve to provide those zap-bang elements. Nothing wrong with such films or with enjoying them... but they already exist outside of ST for viewing. Plus the concept of a 'UFO' as we know it would make no sense in the Trek universe: the Federation regularly encounters other species from other planets, unlike contemporary Earth, plus it will be the Enterprise's mission to seek out new life... so they'll encounter unknowns on purpose, not be mystified by blurry videos of lights in the sky they don't understand. Our concept of UFOs and aliens would be a societal relic by the 23rd century.
The UFO toys are multi billion dollar industry. If Kirk can get on the frontlines, keep in mind we need a tough Kick-butt Kirk, that would bring some serious enjoyment to the word; Space Alien.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma Stud View Post
The UFO toys are multi billion dollar industry. If Kirk can get on the frontlines, keep in mind we need a tough Kick-butt Kirk, that would bring some serious enjoyment to the word; Space Alien.
This is all very funny. You had me at first. I thought you were serious.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma Stud View Post
Exactly. The new Kirk should be the same type. Zapper first, then ask Spock what was it.
maybe, but he wont be running around with a Phaser rifle blowing holes in anything thats not human, or part of the Fediration. the closest o combat your'll see in a Treck move is Wrath of Khan, First contackt, and the Dominion war episodes of DS9, and to some exstent in some Voiger episodes.