The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > Most Underrated Episode
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Midshipman

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gennarelli View Post
This could have different meanings for you. From all of the Mass Media coverage and books written on "Star Trek" over the years, the episodes always talked about are "Amok Time", "The Trouble with Tribbles", "City on the Edge of Forever" to name just a few.
What show do you think stands out that is rarely mentioned with the 8 or 9 that you always hear about.
If I had to choose just one it would be "The Empath", as it is a simple show but it is based on the core of "Star Trek" which is the brotherhood of the 3 main characters and their loyalties to each other. The music by George Duning is among the best "Star Trek" scores of All Time and the guest star playing Jem, Kathryn Hays, did a great job with her non dialogue role.

I certainly agree about 'The Empath.' The exploration and development of the bond between the 3 lead characters definately deserves some acknowledgement!
Old 02-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Ensign

Although it can get confusing in the viewing and has numerous plot holes and probably plays with scientific fact/theory, I've always felt "The Alternative Factor" was underappreciated if not underrated. The haunting ending affected Me a lot as a teenager imagining Lazarus' fate of being trapped with a maniac at your throat for all time. I also liked the actor Robert Brown who played Lazarus. I always thought it's to bad he got that part. He would have made a great TOS Klingon later in the series(maybe a pre-Worf klingon friendly to the Federation or a Starfleet spy), which Lazarus' make-up scheme kind of resembles. I understand Brown and Shatner knew each other from a failed series they appeared in prior to ST. Anyway, I still shudder at Lazarus' fate.

Thanks for reading people.
John Steakley ~ "Armor" ~
Old 02-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

Nice choice, Ranger.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Lieutenant

mines 'turnabout intruder'. i always liked this episode. when i was absolutely stone broke with no money and my marraige had broken up, one of the few things i did have left was an old cassette player with a recording of this episode which i recorded off the tv (BBC1). i used to listen to this at night in bed. it always comforted me. now i have it on dvd and it always takes me back to those days. its a good intriguing epsiode.
cheers
starbase Britain
Old 02-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

"Devil in the Dark"
"Man Trap"
"Corbomite Manuver"

All strong episodes that captured that great A.E. Van Vogt "Voyage of the Space Beagle" feel to them. "Corbomite Manuver" especially, since the images of, and the score to, that episode are so iconic to the series. Plus, all three deal with first contact with one form of alien life or another. It's interesting to see how differently Kirk and crew react to them. Some, like the horta and the First Federation, they bend over backward to be peaceful toward. The salt vampire, however, didn't even get an "endangered species" pass... it was shoot to kill all the way! LOL

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

What' that episode when a guy dies in the sensor pod and they have to find out if he really died by taking everyone off the ship and isolating his heart beat....

I think that one was underated.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Forget which one that was. It's been a little while since I've watched the TOS episodes in a row. It would take awhile. Maybe I better like watch one per day and catch myself up to speed for the new movie.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
What' that episode when a guy dies in the sensor pod and they have to find out if he really died by taking everyone off the ship and isolating his heart beat....

I think that one was underated.
That would be "Court Martial", Season 1, episode 20 [I had to look it up].

Good choice, Saquist!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Nice detective work Mission. It would have taken me awhile to find that out.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Captain

I dont know if its underrated, but I never see it among the fans favourits (except one mention here). Its also Where No Man Has Gone Before.