The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > Most Underrated Episode
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Most Underrated Episode

This could have different meanings for you. From all of the Mass Media coverage and books written on "Star Trek" over the years, the episodes always talked about are "Amok Time", "The Trouble with Tribbles", "City on the Edge of Forever" to name just a few.
What show do you think stands out that is rarely mentioned with the 8 or 9 that you always hear about.
If I had to choose just one it would be "The Empath", as it is a simple show but it is based on the core of "Star Trek" which is the brotherhood of the 3 main characters and their loyalties to each other. The music by George Duning is among the best "Star Trek" scores of All Time and the guest star playing Jem, Kathryn Hays, did a great job with her non dialogue role.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Fleet Admiral

I always liked "Wolf in the Fold" though it didn't have much to do with TREK itself, just an enjoyable tense episode and gave Scotty a lot of screen time. Plus it had some laughs at the end which were fun. As a kid "The Squire of Gothos" was enjoyably spooky, and "Dagger of the Mind" kind of creeped me out, made quite a first impression. I have fondness for "All Our Yesterdays" from the end of Season Three, perhaps considered underrated depending on one's own preferences.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Midshipman

I really like "Obsession." It really shows the audience the bond, and level of friendship that the three main characters have. Easily one of my favorite episodes.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Midshipman

The Omega Glory.
The plot twist at the end where Kirk reads the sacred words and explains that the words must apply to all or else they mean nothing has always been an example to me of how a work of fiction can so easily and clearly define a social issue and shine the light of reason on it....without being argumentative or accusational.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:34 AM
Ensign

I, Mudd.

It's the funniest episode, and really showcases Shatner's stage acting ability. Some really great scenes of Kirk and Mudd hamming it up.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

hmm, I would have to say the Paradice Syndrome, because it showed an explanation for how many humanoid societies are out in space.

"Tickle us do we not Laugh? Prick us do we not Bleed? Wrong us shall we not Revenge" -General Chang Star Trek VI, quoted from Shakespeare
Old 02-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Admiral

I'd go for Miri. I think there's some stellar acting both by the crew and the guest stars. I'm willing to forgive the fact that the aliens not only developed English (as did all but a few) but they also built their main town to be an exact replica (albeit messy) of Mayberry...

I think the thing that really gets to me is Spock's situation. Nimoy does a great job of relating the horror he feels at the thought of living for another 200+ years among those children with all his adult friends long dead. He does it with just a few words. "and I do want to go back to the ship, Captain". The Captain and others can, at least, look forward to a speedy death....Spock doesn't have that luxury. Without a cure, he's effectively condemned to hell for the rest of his life.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Midshipman

I've always loved the Enemy Within. First transporter accident episode! And even though its not the most humorous or exciting episode, I think it raises a long standing philosophical question about the facets of human personality and portrays them well, however literally.

And theres a space dog! Or should I say "space creature"...

Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Midshipman

Oh, and Squire of Gothos episode rocks too :-)
Old 02-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Ensign

I like the Cloud Minders From season 3 it reminds me of Metropolis from 1926 where the trogs work to keep the city running but enjoy none of the privledge or beauty of the city very distopian.