The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How to design the Enterprise
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
But I am unclear as to your statement following... He designed it upside down? That is not what it says in this article. It does mention the rough model being accidentally flipped and then the image being turned on the magazine cover...

Actually I have a space encyclopaedia whichbriefly mentions Star Trek, with a small image of the Ent-D, upside down! That has irritated me for years!
Ah yes, sorry. I must have misread that one!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I've seen the Quote from Matt Jefferies before.
It doesn't alter my perspective that it was mostly constructed from a design perspective. It was important to incorporate aesthetics in the design and as a result the ship does have a pleasing look, how ever Matt's background in design assisted him to take short-cuts. The project was fictional, thus the heavy hand of design was not necessary for every aspect and detail of the Enterprise. Yet it did have a hand.

In fact the article posted above was the first one I ever read.

And it's why I stand firmly by my argument, even if many view it dogmatic and superior. I recognized good design elements. Despite how often the original ship was put down and how often people tell me it was pure creativity, I merely know that's not the case. It was well thought out and brilliant and plainly evident.
I don't think your argument is dogmatic at all. It's well constructed and supported by the article. Thanks for clarifying!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
This has been most enlightening thread! I've learned so much, including the logic behind the smooth surfacing of the Big E. Excellent thread! Thank you so much!!!!!
Thank you! I've learned a lot too. People on this forum are really experts on this subject.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:40 AM
Captain

Originally Posted by Saquist
It doesn't alter my perspective that it was mostly constructed from a design perspective. It was important to incorporate aesthetics in the design and as a result the ship does have a pleasing look, how ever Matt's background in design assisted him to take short-cuts. The project was fictional, thus the heavy hand of design was not necessary for every aspect and detail of the Enterprise. Yet it did have a hand.

And it's why I stand firmly by my argument, even if many view it dogmatic and superior. I recognized good design elements. Despite how often the original ship was put down and how often people tell me it was pure creativity, I merely know that's not the case. It was well thought out and brilliant and plainly evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
I don't think your argument is dogmatic at all. It's well constructed and supported by the article. Thanks for clarifying!
I agree! I was one of those people that said the original design was purely creative. I said it was advanced and visionary of the creators, but I never knew the logic behind that design. My dad always taught me that it takes a man to say he was wrong. I may be big in stature, but I am nothing but a child if I can't say this. While I still stand and cheer the designer for being a visionary (because he was when he designed this piece of art), he also was very logical when bringing that vision to past. To that end, Saquist, I tip my hat to you and offer my apology for misunderstanding your earlier posts!

"You can only possess what you experience. Truth, to be understood, must be lived."
Old 02-03-2009, 05:09 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Not only that, but check out the designs with the flat nacelles a la TMP.

I think this thread and the link are both great!
If you liked the TMP foreshadowing, I believe that it may be mentioned here!

Quote:
Ah yes, sorry. I must have misread that one!
No trouble at all!
___

Actually, the whole series of articles is interesting! Here you go!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 02-03-2009, 06:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Not only that, but check out the designs with the flat nacelles a la TMP.

I think this thread and the link are both great!
Quote:
No, thank you.
This is just a design that has always had my respect. Simple but effective. It's not my favorite "doctor" so to speak but it gave birth to them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
Originally Posted by Saquist

I agree! I was one of those people that said the original design was purely creative. I said it was advanced and visionary of the creators, but I never knew the logic behind that design. My dad always taught me that it takes a man to say he was wrong. I may be big in stature, but I am nothing but a child if I can't say this. While I still stand and cheer the designer for being a visionary (because he was when he designed this piece of art), he also was very logical when bringing that vision to past. To that end, Saquist, I tip my hat to you and offer my apology for misunderstanding your earlier posts!

"You can only possess what you experience. Truth, to be understood, must be lived."
I'm completely gratified by your graciousness, Dominus.

I was hoping Church would have elaborated why he went where he did on his design. It might give too much away about the film so maybe we can play devils advocate. Does anyone have those comments on what he did or JJ said about the design?

Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 AM
Rear Admiral

Did any one miss the part int he article, where Jefferies was describing a sphere shape that was "flattened". I believe he was talking about the early designs of the Enterprise that were later used in part for the U.S.S. Pastuer in TNG "All Good Things..."
Old 02-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Did any one miss the part int he article, where Jefferies was describing a sphere shape that was "flattened". I believe he was talking about the early designs of the Enterprise that were later used in part for the U.S.S. Pastuer in TNG "All Good Things..."
Actually there are two sketches there which the behind the scenes people took for the design of the Daedalus class, which they barely changed!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 02-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Captain

Ditto!
Old 02-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Since I've read it before it doesn't change my perspective.
The design wasn't carried out from a purely design form just because it's fictional. A real ship goes through models and proto types and his early concepts show forms that are still kinetic with field propulsion theory.
Perhaps, but I think that's more of a Pluto kind of thing than not.