The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How to design the Enterprise
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Scribbler's Avatar
Scribbler Scribbler is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
But I am unclear as to your statement following... He designed it upside down? That is not what it says in this article. It does mention the rough model being accidentally flipped and then the image being turned on the magazine cover...

Actually I have a space encyclopaedia whichbriefly mentions Star Trek, with a small image of the Ent-D, upside down! That has irritated me for years!
Ah yes, sorry. I must have misread that one!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Scribbler's Avatar
Scribbler Scribbler is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I've seen the Quote from Matt Jefferies before.
It doesn't alter my perspective that it was mostly constructed from a design perspective. It was important to incorporate aesthetics in the design and as a result the ship does have a pleasing look, how ever Matt's background in design assisted him to take short-cuts. The project was fictional, thus the heavy hand of design was not necessary for every aspect and detail of the Enterprise. Yet it did have a hand.

In fact the article posted above was the first one I ever read.


And it's why I stand firmly by my argument, even if many view it dogmatic and superior. I recognized good design elements. Despite how often the original ship was put down and how often people tell me it was pure creativity, I merely know that's not the case. It was well thought out and brilliant and plainly evident.
I don't think your argument is dogmatic at all. It's well constructed and supported by the article. Thanks for clarifying!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Scribbler's Avatar
Scribbler Scribbler is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
This has been most enlightening thread! I've learned so much, including the logic behind the smooth surfacing of the Big E. Excellent thread! Thank you so much!!!!!
Thank you! I've learned a lot too. People on this forum are really experts on this subject.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-03-2009, 03:40 AM
Dominus of Megadeus's Avatar
Dominus of Megadeus Dominus of Megadeus is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,099
Default

Originally Posted by Saquist
I've seen the Quote from Matt Jefferies before.
It doesn't alter my perspective that it was mostly constructed from a design perspective. It was important to incorporate aesthetics in the design and as a result the ship does have a pleasing look, how ever Matt's background in design assisted him to take short-cuts. The project was fictional, thus the heavy hand of design was not necessary for every aspect and detail of the Enterprise. Yet it did have a hand.

In fact the article posted above was the first one I ever read.


And it's why I stand firmly by my argument, even if many view it dogmatic and superior. I recognized good design elements. Despite how often the original ship was put down and how often people tell me it was pure creativity, I merely know that's not the case. It was well thought out and brilliant and plainly evident.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
I don't think your argument is dogmatic at all. It's well constructed and supported by the article. Thanks for clarifying!
I agree! I was one of those people that said the original design was purely creative. I said it was advanced and visionary of the creators, but I never knew the logic behind that design. My dad always taught me that it takes a man to say he was wrong. I may be big in stature, but I am nothing but a child if I can't say this. While I still stand and cheer the designer for being a visionary (because he was when he designed this piece of art), he also was very logical when bringing that vision to past. To that end, Saquist, I tip my hat to you and offer my apology for misunderstanding your earlier posts!

"You can only possess what you experience. Truth, to be understood, must be lived."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-03-2009, 05:09 AM
DNA-1842's Avatar
DNA-1842 DNA-1842 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Not only that, but check out the designs with the flat nacelles a la TMP.

I think this thread and the link are both great!
If you liked the TMP foreshadowing, I believe that it may be mentioned here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
Ah yes, sorry. I must have misread that one!
No trouble at all!
___

Actually, the whole series of articles is interesting! Here you go!
__________________
Gronda Gronda to all Zarking Hoopy Froods! Bowties are cool.
I Am A Friend Of


(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-03-2009, 06:23 AM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Not only that, but check out the designs with the flat nacelles a la TMP.

I think this thread and the link are both great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
I don't think your argument is dogmatic at all. It's well constructed and supported by the article. Thanks for clarifying!
No, thank you.
This is just a design that has always had my respect. Simple but effective. It's not my favorite "doctor" so to speak but it gave birth to them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
Originally Posted by Saquist
I've seen the Quote from Matt Jefferies before.
It doesn't alter my perspective that it was mostly constructed from a design perspective. It was important to incorporate aesthetics in the design and as a result the ship does have a pleasing look, how ever Matt's background in design assisted him to take short-cuts. The project was fictional, thus the heavy hand of design was not necessary for every aspect and detail of the Enterprise. Yet it did have a hand.

In fact the article posted above was the first one I ever read.


And it's why I stand firmly by my argument, even if many view it dogmatic and superior. I recognized good design elements. Despite how often the original ship was put down and how often people tell me it was pure creativity, I merely know that's not the case. It was well thought out and brilliant and plainly evident.



I agree! I was one of those people that said the original design was purely creative. I said it was advanced and visionary of the creators, but I never knew the logic behind that design. My dad always taught me that it takes a man to say he was wrong. I may be big in stature, but I am nothing but a child if I can't say this. While I still stand and cheer the designer for being a visionary (because he was when he designed this piece of art), he also was very logical when bringing that vision to past. To that end, Saquist, I tip my hat to you and offer my apology for misunderstanding your earlier posts!

"You can only possess what you experience. Truth, to be understood, must be lived."
I'm completely gratified by your graciousness, Dominus.

I was hoping Church would have elaborated why he went where he did on his design. It might give too much away about the film so maybe we can play devils advocate. Does anyone have those comments on what he did or JJ said about the design?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 AM
CAPTAIN MOUSE's Avatar
CAPTAIN MOUSE CAPTAIN MOUSE is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Placerville,CA
Posts: 2,564
Default

Did any one miss the part int he article, where Jefferies was describing a sphere shape that was "flattened". I believe he was talking about the early designs of the Enterprise that were later used in part for the U.S.S. Pastuer in TNG "All Good Things..."
__________________
CAN YOU CATCH SECOND HAND STUPIDITY? OR SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE WATER HERE? - JEFF DUNHAM
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-03-2009, 07:11 AM
DNA-1842's Avatar
DNA-1842 DNA-1842 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
Did any one miss the part int he article, where Jefferies was describing a sphere shape that was "flattened". I believe he was talking about the early designs of the Enterprise that were later used in part for the U.S.S. Pastuer in TNG "All Good Things..."
Actually there are two sketches there which the behind the scenes people took for the design of the Daedalus class, which they barely changed!
__________________
Gronda Gronda to all Zarking Hoopy Froods! Bowties are cool.
I Am A Friend Of


(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-03-2009, 07:37 AM
Dominus of Megadeus's Avatar
Dominus of Megadeus Dominus of Megadeus is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,099
Default

Ditto!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-03-2009, 08:09 AM
LTJG Iferal's Avatar
LTJG Iferal LTJG Iferal is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Since I've read it before it doesn't change my perspective.
The design wasn't carried out from a purely design form just because it's fictional. A real ship goes through models and proto types and his early concepts show forms that are still kinetic with field propulsion theory.
Perhaps, but I think that's more of a Pluto kind of thing than not.
__________________
"People can be very frightened of change." - Capt. James Kirk
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.