The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Abrams interview with LAT
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Lieutenant

JJA should know his words are going to be read by the people he is insulting. His comments are perilously close to being as bad as Shatner's 'Get a life!' comment, which has dogged him for all the years ever since, and Shatner was only saying what was scripted for him.

If JJA wants to disagree with the purists and loyalists, he should step up to the plate like a man and say (for example), "We wanted to change the look of the ship because we thought the old one looked too old/didn't suit the big screen/didn't thrill us/wasn't chunky enough/wasn't sexy/whatever. I regret that some people don't like the new design concept, but I think this is still a great movie and fans are going to love it."

That would be a mature and diplomatic way of dealing with his opposition, but to mock the dissenters, and declaring them to be malcontents who are never satisfied, is very poor form.

He would do well to learn Rule #1: Don't insult the fan base.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:21 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Eyes View Post
JJA should know his words are going to be read by the people he is insulting. His comments are perilously close to being as bad as Shatner's 'Get a life!' comment, which has dogged him for all the years ever since, and Shatner was only saying what was scripted for him.

If JJA wants to disagree with the purists and loyalists, he should step up to the plate like a man and say (for example), "We wanted to change the look of the ship because we thought the old one looked too old/didn't suit the big screen/didn't thrill us/wasn't chunky enough/wasn't sexy/whatever. I regret that some people don't like the new design concept, but I think this is still a great movie and fans are going to love it."

That would be a mature and diplomatic way of dealing with his opposition, but to mock the dissenters, and declaring them to be malcontents who are never satisfied, is very poor form.

Yet demonstrably true, regardless.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

If you take "Nacelles Monthly" as insult, you have a pretty thin skin
I found that quite funny and I fail to see why telling the truth, that fanatics can never be satisfied and complain about any tiny deviation from the holy original is insultive.

But I guess I get it now: Abrams insults the fans by designign a new Enterprise, by putting Kirk and Pike together at the same time and insults fans by doing this. He insults fans by bringing Chekov in, he insults fans by doing something entirely new in Trek, alternatee universes and time travel ... need I go on?
It is a MASS PRODUCT, not something personal.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase63 View Post
Yet we have a ship claiming to be the Enterprise that looks the way it does...

Phasers that look like weapons from 20 years later...

Sounds like JJ is hoping someone will believe him.
But there are people who believe him.

I think we can stay away from cynical theories about what you think Abrams apparent agenda is. Many people here think the Enterprise still looks like the Enterprise, though modified. Just because there are people like you and others who don't agree with that, doesn't mean Abrams has some agenda to make people believe him. Why say that instead of coming to the conclusion that he believes what he says, even though you don't.

But alas, there you go again, running another political attack ad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Eyes View Post

You took all that and read into it that he was trying to insult you. You really need some thicker skin.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:28 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Style-wise, perhaps the Kelvin is more similar in a narrow way, but configuration-wise it's an entirely different class of starship from the E... as fans themselves proved upon first glance at it -- we couldn't even determine if it had two nacelles or one, a deflector dish, etc. etc. It has many more obvious differences from the E -- certainly to the general viewing public -- than it does similarities. Draw the outline shape of the Kelvin, and general moviegoers would have no idea what ship it is... while many would recognize the configuration of the E.
And THAT'S what JJ is attempting: He cannot, as he put it, "serve the master" of every arcane detail, catering to a small, but vocal, demorgraphic, and expect to expand that demorgraphic from that sub-set of the movie-going public. So, while some folk in that sub-set will vocalize their viewpoint, the fact is that every Television and Movie producer in a Capitialisitic marketplace is trying not only to express their vision of a tale--be it "brand-new" or a version of a tale that's already been told: They are trying to gather, capture, and expand their part of the market. JJ has some major cajones, because he knew that sci-fi fans can be some of the most rabid out there...Yet, Paramount trusted him and his talents to breath new life and expand the audience of the franchise beyond it's exisiting sub-set.

Big ups and good luck to you, JJ and crew!
Old 01-30-2009, 03:30 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukalaka View Post
Indeed!

I loved that line, too! Cracked me up as I nodded, "Uh-huh!"
Old 01-30-2009, 05:55 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
But I guess I get it now: Abrams insults the fans by designign a new Enterprise, by putting Kirk and Pike together at the same time and insults fans by doing this. He insults fans by bringing Chekov in, he insults fans by doing something entirely new in Trek, alternate universes and time travel ... need I go on?
Nope. You pretty much summed up the majority of the issues with the movie. There are several more, but you hit it on the head. And yes, I know you were being sarcastic, but what you said is exactly right.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:59 AM
Vice Admiral

JJA: "And yet, the movie at its core is not only inspired by what has come before, it's deeply true to what's come before"

What?!?! I hope he didn't expect anyone to believe that load of pheldercarb!
Old 01-30-2009, 06:10 AM
Vice Admiral

Better quote:

JJA: "You can't look backward and try to make sure that every decision you're making is true to the past. that's not to say that we weren't true to the past, but that wasn't our guiding principle."

So they didn't use the past, as in TOS, as their guiding principle for a movie that was supposed to take place in the TOS era? Hmmmm.

JJA: "At the same time, I think, it's going to blow people's minds because its a completely different experience than what they expect."

I think this is true. It will definitely be a completely different experience that what we (I) expect. We (I) expect to see Star Trek. So if this is completely different, it must not be Star Trek. I'm assuming Star Wars with the Star Trek name on it with a little unfortunate Galaxy Quest thrown in. I really hope not, but I'm worried.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:32 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

come on Zim, are you not bored of posting the same old stuff yet? Trek needs a refresh to appeal to new fans, im an old fan but i want new trek, i want to be entertained, i want to have a new trek story told to me, to immerse myself in that story, and if JJ delivers a trek story with a new gusto, then sign me up. Im not going to go and picket the cinema cos the enterprise looks different, or checkov is in it..jeez..im getting a bit sick of the same old BS from some of you guys, i want to come here and catch up on new movie gossip and get caught up in the excitement, not get hit by toys flung from prams and dummys being spat out. IF the film blows then in may we can all pull chunks from Abrams, but until then, we got to get behind it.

In the meantime though, for the haters, im gonna sign up www.nacellemonthly.net so you have somewhere to go and *****.