The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Abrams interview with LAT
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default Abrams interview with LAT

http://trekweb.com/articles/2009/01/...riticism.shtml

excerpts:

JJA: "The characters was the most important thing in it. We needed to be true to the spirit of those characters. There were certain iconic things -- if you're going to do "Star Trek," you've got to do the Enterprise and it has to look like the Enterprise. If you're going to do "Star Trek" you have to do costumes that feel like the costumes people know. You have to be able to glance at it and know what that is. Even the text, the font of "Star Trek" has to look like what you know."
"The phasers, the communicators, the Starfleet logo -- there are all these things that are the touchstones, the tenets of what makes "Star Trek" "Star Trek." If you're going to do this series those are things you don't mess with."
"And yet, the movie at its core is not only inspired by what has come before, it's deeply true to what's come before."

comments from me:
"it has to look like the Enterprise" but doesn't quite do so. And he obviously will mess with the Starfleet logo.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Last edited by NCC-73515 : 01-29-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Rear Admiral

he said that he is staying true to the "Spirit" not every "inane detail"
Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Captain

This is a more relevant quote:

Quote:
JJA: I think I benefited because I came into this movie as someone who appreciated "Star Trek" but wasn't an insane fanatic about it. The disadvantage is I didn't know everything I needed to know immediately at the beginning and had to learn it. The advantage though is I could look at "Star Trek" as a whole a little bit more like a typical moviegoer would see it; it allowed me to seize the things that I felt were truly the most iconic and important aspects of the original series and yet not be serving the master and trying to be true to every arcane detail. It let me look at the things I knew were critical.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post

excerpts:

JJA: "The characters was the most important thing in it. We needed to be true to the spirit of those characters. There were certain iconic things -- if you're going to do "Star Trek," you've got to do the Enterprise and it has to look like the Enterprise. If you're going to do "Star Trek" you have to do costumes that feel like the costumes people know. You have to be able to glance at it and know what that is. Even the text, the font of "Star Trek" has to look like what you know."
"The phasers, the communicators, the Starfleet logo -- there are all these things that are the touchstones, the tenets of what makes "Star Trek" "Star Trek." If you're going to do this series those are things you don't mess with."
"And yet, the movie at its core is not only inspired by what has come before, it's deeply true to what's come before."

comments from me:
"it has to look like the Enterprise" but doesn't quite do so. And he obviously will mess with the Starfleet logo.
1. Is there not an inherent difference in the terms "look like" and "exactly resemble"? Of course this new ship looks like the Enterprise, certainly more than the Kelvin does, for example. Unless one's only definition of the Enterprise is the model which appeared in TOS.

2. Once again I'll propose that we are (literally) not seeing the full picture yet, and could a story about deliberately changing the history of what we know also include possibilities to see the unchanged history (timeline) to appear as well?

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
he said that he is staying true to the "Spirit" not every "inane detail"
He said "arcane," not "inane." Could have, but didn't.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:

excerpts:

JJA: "The phasers, the communicators, the Starfleet logo -- there are all these things that are the touchstones, the tenets of what makes "Star Trek" "Star Trek." If you're going to do this series those are things you don't mess with."
Yet we have a ship claiming to be the Enterprise that looks the way it does...

Phasers that look like weapons from 20 years later...

Sounds like JJ is hoping someone will believe him.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Captain

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
1. Is there not an inherent difference in the terms "look like" and "exactly resemble"? Of course this new ship looks like the Enterprise, certainly more than the Kelvin does, for example. Unless one's only definition of the Enterprise is the model which appeared in TOS.
I think elements of the Kelvin look more like the original Enterprise than the Abomination does...

It looks like a Federation starship, yes, a class similar to the Constitution, but not the Big E.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Fleet Admiral

Style-wise, perhaps the Kelvin is more similar in a narrow way, but configuration-wise it's an entirely different class of starship from the E... as fans themselves proved upon first glance at it -- we couldn't even determine if it had two nacelles or one, a deflector dish, etc. etc. It has many more obvious differences from the E -- certainly to the general viewing public -- than it does similarities. Draw the outline shape of the Kelvin, and general moviegoers would have no idea what ship it is... while many would recognize the configuration of the E.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:

excerpts:

comments from me:
i disagree, it look like the Enterprise, he didnt said : it has to look like exactly the same.

good day!
Old 01-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

I never said it looks nothing like it, only that it "doesn't quite do so".
A more severe thing is that he said he wouldn't change the SF symbol - but did.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-